Thread: Loar's; numbers ?, not how many made:

Blog Entries

Default Loar's; numbers ?, not how many made:

The other thread about the $100,000 loar found got me to thinking. I suspect there are some on here that can answer this question. Is there one individual that owns multiple Loar's ? I've heard that Hershel Sizemore owns three ? Is there just one man/woman that owns the most ? Some of my picking friends from long ago have told me they know of 4-5 people here in North Carolina that own Loar's. I believe them, but I've never seen one first hand to my knowledge except for Monroe's when he was on stage. I probably did see some back in the late '60's early '70's when I was going to a bunch of Bluegrass festivals, but you know what, back then I didn't even know about Loar's, and I was a mandolin player, shows my ignorance does it not ?

Default Re: Loar's; numbers ?, not how many made:

yes, there are people out there with more than one. I am not aware of any that want that information public though.
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

there are several people that own several Loars... true 'nuff!

I know personally at least a dozen people/pickers who own more than one Loar. Grisman up there over 3, Seizmore over 3 to name a few well known ones. Monroe had 2.
    Reno has 2 or 3. Skaggs 2 or 3. The others are private collectors/pickers. I think the most I've heard owned by one person was 5. That would be a cool million in mandolins.

Blog Entries

You know what gets me as far as Bluegrass musicians, I might be wrong or way out of touch with reality now on this, but I didn't think most pro Bluegrass musicians made enough income to afford buying a $200,000 instrument. Am I wrong ? Not the tip top bands like for instance Doyle and Quicksilver, AKUS { which ain't really Bluegrass anymore }, The Grascals, {are they considered big time ?}, but the other bands that play on the festival circuit. I mean you would have to pick a bunch of tunes, sing a bunch of songs, sell a bunch of cd's etc to be able to afford anything that cost $200,000 much less just a mandolin for that much. What's the real deal here, are all Bluegrass bands now making that much money ? Do they finance the purchase ? $200,000 financed for 10 years = $1,666 per month not counting intrest. Do banks as a norm loan money in that amount for a mandolin ? I confess I'm ignorant about alot of stuff, but a bank loaning you money for something like that seems far fetched to me. So if they don't get them by that way, and they ain't born well off to begin with, and they don't make way more playing music than the average Joe who works, then how in heck do they get 'em ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    I know personally at least a dozen people/pickers who own more than one Loar. Grisman up there over 3, Seizmore over 3 to name a few well known ones. Monroe had 2.
    Reno has 2 or 3. Skaggs 2 or 3. The others are private collectors/pickers. I think the most I've heard owned by one person was 5. That would be a cool million in mandolins.
    Don't mean to be nosey, but in referance to my above post, how did you get yours ? If you don't want to answer I understand. From the time I began public work at age 16 up until I became disabled at age 49 I don't think I'd even made $200,000 total.

I'd say most people got their Loars way before they reached the prices seen in the last few years... the $200K+ Loar is a relatively recent phenomena...

Many like me did do the plunge before they reached $20,000. Some are self-made millionaires, others inherited big money.
    Heck Steve Stills gave Chris Hillman his just for being in his band. We should all have friends like that. Some got into big time buy/sell/trade in vintage instruments picking up a Loar or two along the way. Some did take out Loans.
    There are many pros that only got theirs in the last few years so they paid the big bucks. I suspect those are still making payements on them and should be tax deductable.
    Single men/women who want Loars have a better chance at getting one today then a married person. Something to do about priorities

Blog Entries

Thanks for the answers . I have been enlightened.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    Many like me did do the plunge before they reached $20,000. Some are self-made millionaires, others inherited big money.
    Heck Steve Stills gave Chris Hillman his just for being in his band. We should all have friends like that. Some got into big time buy/sell/trade in vintage instruments picking up a Loar or two along the way. Some did take out Loans.
    There are many pros that only got theirs in the last few years so they paid the big bucks. I suspect those are still making payements on them and should be tax deductable.
    Single men/women who want Loars have a better chance at getting one today then a married person. Something to do about priorities
    "Steve Still gave Chris Hillman his just for being in his band. We should all have friends like that"....... Just like to say I do have friends like that except none of them has a Loar, come to think of it none of them but a couple even plays.