Thread: Grateful Dead: Slipknot

Blog Entries

Default Grateful Dead: Slipknot

Sometime recently I received a request from a YouTube user to work up a rendition of the Dead's Slipknot from Blues for Allah.

This evening I decided to spend a couple hours working it up. This is a shortened rendition, which really only details the opening, as the rest is jam space before repeating some of the opening motifs to go into Franklin's Tower.

It's really not a hard tune. The sets of descending diminished runs take some finger coordination; however, the minor 7th triads at the end of the opening are easy to play on mandolin (more so than guitar).

I've started tabbing some of this out. I'll put it up on my website in a couple weeks or less.

Enjoy!

Default Re: Grateful Dead: Slipknot

Jim,
    From Freddie King to The Dead's Slipknot to blues to bluegrass. Love your style....
    -c

Is there a "talent" knob? Christian McKee's Avatar

Default Re: Grateful Dead: Slipknot

Thanks, Jim! Always liked this tune, and Help>Slip>Frank has been a long time favorite entry in the "jam along with the stereo" category. FWIW, the Bill Kreutzman Trio with Oteil and Scott were playing some ENORMOUS versions of Help>Slip>Various-other-tunes on their winter tour. Oteil was chording much of it on his six string - pretty amazing, and worth tracking down on tape.

Christian
    Christian McKee

Member, The Big North Duo
    Musical Director, The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra