Thread: Breedlove questions

Default Breedlove questions

Hello all,

Just wondering how those of you who've played Breedloves (Quartz FF in particular) would characterize their sound as compared to, say, the higher-end Eastmans? Are they a good value for the money? I love the look but have yet to play one. I'm looking for something good for playing bluegrass, old-time, and a little Celtic, so I definitely want to go with an F-hole. Not too particular about A- vs F-style, although all else being equal I'd probably tip a little to the F side.

I'm looking to stay below $1000 for the best sounding and playing mandolin I can find (although looks are nice). I don't know anywhere too close to home that carries the Breedloves so I'm just trying to get a good feel for this line.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Blog Entries

Default Re: Breedlove questions

I have a FF and I think it does everything very well. It's a little growly when needed for bluegrass and has great sustain for other styles. It's not a hardcore bluegrass mando but it does well enough. Fit & finish is flawless, very comfortable to play...highly recommended.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

Breedloves are great mandolins. Excellent fit and finish and I like the tone. I have owned a KF model and it was very resonant with especially nice lows. The string spacing at the bridge was a little wide for my taste, but that can be fixed by having the bridge slotted for closer spacing. If you could swing a little more than $1000 there is an excellent deal at the Mandolin Store now for an FF bound gloss finish.

-Frank

I have two Breedlove Quartz's (A style), one is an oval-hole and the other f-hole. I like them both. They are versatile to all styles of music and are well built. I don't think you can go wrong either of these of the FF which I have played and enjoyed but don't own.
    MLT
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra
    Classical Mandolin Society of America
    Labraid Cytole

I played an OF for two years before going for a more traditional look and tone in a Gibson F-9. I’m a bluegrass only player, so I didn’t care for the sound nor the look of the OF in the end. Also, the wide nut wasn’t a good match for my hands, and the proprietary tailpiece made changing strings a total pain.

That said, the quality (especially for the price) was great. I liked that it was made in the USA, had a lifetime warranty, and the company was a pleasure to deal with. It’s a good serious instrument at a reasonable cost. But you definitely get a Breedlove, so you gotta be into that.

Blog Entries

I've had a couple of Quartz Os. They're great instruments for the money. Both of mine played well and had nice tone and resonance. I don't think of them as especially bluegrassy instruments, though, but that might not be that big a deal if you're looking for an inexpensive all-around instrument. You probably won't have any trouble selling it if you decide to try something different. I don't know how the F (or is it K?) style mandolins hold up. Personally, I'd be a inclined to go with an A.

I got a Quartz FF when they first came out and could not be happier. Great sound & feel. Low end (G and D strings) is particularly rich sounding. Has a nice tone when played softly, but plenty of bark when needed. I've played much more expensive instruments that I would not trade for my Breedlove.

A used Breedlove KF or OF, often to be had in the mid $800s, is one of the best bang for buck ratios in the mandolin world IMHO.
    Steve

There is an FF in the classifieds as I type, for only $950. (Color unknown; unbound I assume.)
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

I really like the modern styling on the FF. I've played 6 or 8 Breedloves in stores, and never saw a dog among them. I do have a very strong dislike, though, for the Breedlove take on a sunburst. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by man dough nollij View Post
    ...I do have a very strong dislike, though, for the Breedlove take on a sunburst. Ugh.
    Isn't that the truth.
    I do admire them though for not just copying what has always been done before.
    Bill Snyder

I really like the modern styling on the FF. I've played 6 or 8 Breedloves in stores, and never saw a dog among them. I do have a very strong dislike, though, for the Breedlove take on a sunburst. Ugh.
    Agreed, their standard burst with a satin finish and no binding is particularly boring -- but this newer redburst of theirs really grabs my eye, especially on the FF with black binding...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Breedlove FF custom red burst, black binding.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	44305   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Breedlove FF custom red burst, black binding, closeup.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	44306   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Breedlove OF Cherrybursrt.gif 
Views:	180 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	44307  

"The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

Yeah, the red is nice. I shouldn't bag on all their bursts in general. Here is what I was referring to (from their website).

Blog Entries

Agreed about their 'bursts but they do look better in person than in pics. Steilberg Instruments here in Louisville has a nice natural FF with black binding and serious flame on the back that is very nice for those that don't want a sunburst.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

I had a Breedlove KF. I wasn't impressed with it and sold it after a month. It wasn't as good as my Eastman 915 and was even shaded by my Eastman 905. It did, however, have a more comfortable neck (wider and rounder) than the Eastmans...

Blog Entries

I will add that I don't care much for the tone on any other Breedlove model that I've tried (and I've tried them all) other than the FF. Just not enough oomph or something but Breed's never really jived with me until I played the FF. It's a different Breedlove beast altogether.

Love my OF Quartz. It took about 2 years to really open up and a set of Thomastic flat-wound strings really brought out the low-end. It's just a great sounding instrument. I could imagine that the KFs and FFs have an even better low-end due to the larger sound chamber.

I played an Eastman in a store and from that experience, I definitely prefer my Breedlove. Mine came with an installed pickup, which is great plugged into a PA. It needs no pre-amp and it sounds just like playing through a mic.

The breedlove OF quartz has all the most important touches that you'd want for playability and tone, such as a radiused fretboard, quality materials and a graduated top, but none of the frills that just add cost, such as binding, inlay and gloss.

What also amazes me is how well the instrument stays in tune. It's really incredible. It will hold tuning for days.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their take on Breedloves. I went ahead and took a chance on a good-looking blonde from the Cafe classifieds (mandolin--blonde mandolin) and am really excited to get my first 'real' one. Now to figure out how to convince the guys I play with not to expect too much. It is still me playing the thing, after all!

I'll come back with a report once I get it in my hands. Until then it's 2 o'clock in the morning Christmas morning, I'm seven, and I can't get to sleep.

Jeff

Any updates after 9 weeks? Band-mates realize it's still you, or are they calling you other (people's) names?
    You live and you learn (if you're awake)
    ... but some folks get by just making stuff up.

Michael T.

I do have a very strong dislike, though, for the Breedlove take on a sunburst. Ugh.

And here I thought it was just me hahaha.

But yeah, my Breedlove FF is great. A bit more rounded and balanced than the Eastmans I tried out(when buying). Then again, I was looking for something that wasn't "all treble". Overall, the company is doing many things correctly, minus their sunburst finishing style lol.
    "Work is what you do for other people, Art is what you do for yourself." - Stephen Sondheim

The Forrest Gump of Mando Rob Powell's Avatar

Here's a good example of what a Breedlove KF sounds like, at least, it sounds a lot like mine did....

"If you can make it to 50 without growing up, you don't have to..."

Rob Powell AKA The BeerGeek

I own a Breedlove KF and I love it. Mandolin is not my primary instrument, (usually play tenor banjo/mandola and uke) but I've gotten compliments on it at just about every gig I've brought it to. Another player borrowed it for a while at a dance I played and said it was the sweetest sounding mandolin he'd played in a long time. So, yeah, I'd definitely recommend one.

I can't yet make pretty enough noises with my early production KO. My teacher plays professionally and does some studio musician work. He was impressed with it and said it wasn't 'grassy enough to appeal to the bluegrass crowd, but that its balance across the treble to bass range was notable and would make it a very nice recording studio instrument. It does sound twangier with PB strings on it than its present TI-154M strings. Whatever floats your gondola, though.

When I was considering the KO, I contacted someone playing bluegrassy music for hire who had a KF for sale. He was replacing it with a Breedlove FF and he was (as long as I kept up correspondence with him) quite happy with its tone. Some have written that the FF is a different beast entirely than the KF/KO, and I have also read that its body is deeper. I'd say give one a listen if you can, and dive in. If you can't get a listen, then take your chances or find one at a price you think you can match on re-sale. Then you only risk freight costs +/-.

But don't worry about what your isntrument looks like unless you think your audience will do this and that's why they're sitting in front of you. No? I didn't think so.
    You live and you learn (if you're awake)
    ... but some folks get by just making stuff up.

Michael T.

I had a Breedlove KF. It didn't sound as good or play as good as my higher-end Eastmans, but it didn't cost as much either. It did however, compare favorably to my mid-end Eastman for about the same price, and it looked much nicer.