Thread: Central Jersey players

Richard J.

I'm looking for a mandolin and guitar player in the Somerset/Hunterdon county area of central Jersey. #I also play country and bluegrass, but I enjoy playing the music I grew up with as taught to me by my father. #Just want to play with those who enjoy the same music.
    "The older I get, the better I was!"

Quote Originally Posted by (flairbzzt @ Aug. 17 2004, 19:38)
    I enjoy playing the music I grew up with as taught to me by my father. #Just want to play with those who enjoy the same music.
    What kind(s) of music did your father teach you? Was he a classical player?

I live too far away in Westchester county NY. You could contact Barry Mitterhoff and see if he has any students in the area. Email me for contact info... his info is entirely incorrect on the CMSA instructors page.

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Richard J.

I guess you might call it Italian folk- lots of mazurkas, waltzes, etc. He wrote a large number of songs with his uncle that have been kept in the family and are beautiful melodies. #that along with Italian standards and the like I would say...

Quote Originally Posted by (flairbzzt @ Aug. 18 2004, 17:10)
    I guess you might call it Italian folk- lots of mazurkas, waltzes, etc. He wrote a large number of songs with his uncle that have been kept in the family and are beautiful melodies. #that along with Italian standards and the like I would say...
    flairbzzt
    Sounds wonderful. Do you have recordings of him and/or your uncle? Would you be interested in sharing some of his music with us? Were any of these pieces published?

I have been playing and collecting Italian tunes for a number of years. I have some on this page.

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Richard J.

Yes, I do have recordings of them, originally on reel to reel, transferred to cassette and I'm in the process of converting to cd. #I wouldn't mind sharing the tunes at all. None of it has ever been published, though I've urged my dad to do so for many years. #He's 78 now, and can't play much anymore (he passed his Martin 2-15 on to me). I've had all the music in my head for most of my 42 years and fear that it will pass with him- I learned the songs; I never learned to read the music. That's another project in front of me. I'll see if I can get some of the recordings #to disc and scan some of the music to send to you.

That would be wonderful. I can even set up a web page to share the music if you like.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Sound groovy. I'd love to hear.