Thread: Pickup for Morgan Monroe MMS3

Default Pickup for Morgan Monroe MMS3

Hello. I am looking for a pickup for Morgan Monroe MMS3. To give more details about myself, I am in the category between novice and professionals, more a hobbyist, I should say - I am not in the mode of giving performances, but I play in informal gatherings.

Given this background, I am looking at options that are easier to install, and can give reasonable performance...possibly something like the LRBaggs Radius or the Schatten M-05. But would this compromise too much?

Would appreciate any pointers I can receive from all of you.

Post Re: Pickup for Morgan Monroe MMS3

here we go again... FAQ land .. on the starboard bow

both very high impedance low level signals, 10 million ohms ,
    So You need to include a preamp too, in the purchase.
    one made for Piezos. like from Baggs or Fishman, etc.
    that handshake with that signal source characteristic.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Default Re: Pickup for Morgan Monroe MMS3

Thanks a ton, Mandroid! Do you think it may be better to go for a bridge replacement with the Fishman M100 series, or Schatten M-02, instead of a simple stick-it-on pickup? I wanted to avoid messing too much with the instrument, and keep it simple - considering I am a small-time player. But if I am going to lose out bad, I surely would prefer the better quality.

I am sorry for my ignorance - I am new to this...would be grateful for any help. Even if you could point to other threads, would be great. I searched myself, but could not get answers for my specific question.

Many thanks again.

My choice was a Swiss made Schertler , lower impedance , a contact microphone ,
    and as my acoustic double channel Amp has a Mic Preamp in it I bypass buying a separate preamp.

as far as piezo type pickups go fishman and schatten are competitive.. in the same category.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    My choice was a Swiss made Schertler ,
    Me too. Why? I like the extremely natural tone, no installation required, I can move it from instrument to instrument in 30 seconds flat. If you are plugging into a PA or an Amp with a mic preamp you don't need anything else. You might want, but you don't need.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Destroyer of Mandolins

Hi, and welcome to the forum,

Here's a third vote for the Schertler. For somone in your shoes it makes the most sense. It doesn't damage your instrument. It's dead easy to use. Your mandolin will sound as good as it can sound through any given amp. You have no widgets to worry about. It is ultra-high quality, will last the rest of your life, and work perfectly with any mandolin you'll ever own. You can add stuff to it but you don't have to, and certainly not at the hobbyist level.

Although it seems a bit pricey, it really isn't that much more than a good piezo and preamp with cables. Most important, you only have to buy it once. There's no wondering whether a different pickup or preamp would sound better. In a year you won't miss the extra money anyway.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Thanks a ton to all of you! You made my choice so easy! You guys are awesome!

Btw, am sorry for one last question - do you have any suggestions on where I can get a Schertler in the US?

Destroyer of Mandolins

Here ya go:

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/DYNM.htm

This dealer is very well known to this community. You will probably want a basic microphone cable to act as an extension cord, as the intregal cable is only about six feet long.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Thanks a ton!