Thread: La Partida

The fiddle player in our group introduce me to this song. We started playing it in Bm. At this point I'm playing rhythm backup on the mandolin. I keep hearing a "walking" chord progression in my head similar to Texas style chords but don't know how to play what I'm hearing.

Any suggestions?

Chicago - most lately but - home is in Northern Arkansas.

If this is the Venezualan Waltz ... John McGann has both a transcription (Melody and Rhythm) and a wonderful CD presentation in his Bouzouki and O/M method book (CD). This is listed here - #McGann Books You'll need to scroll down to the O/M book.

This actually is one of my favorites to play and listen to from this book. It just rolls along and - his fingering and harmonic suggestions throughout the book work on a regular mandolin.

(If this is the tune ... I'll get the chord changes for you later - the book is downstairs in the studio at this time.)

Mandola fever is permanent.

Here's the changes for La Partida from a tabledit file (couldn't get it to attach to this message...)

||:Bm//F#7////Bm////Em//Bm/F#7/Bm/Bm:||

F#7//Bm//F#7//Bm//B//Em//Bm/F#7/Bm|

Buena Suerte!

Quote Originally Posted by (Jon @ Aug. 17 2004, 15:15)
    The fiddle player in our group introduce me to this song. We started playing it in Bm. At this point I'm playing rhythm backup on the mandolin. I keep hearing a "walking" chord progression in my head similar to Texas style chords but don't know how to play what I'm hearing.

Any suggestions?
    If I'm not mistaken, this is the French musette piece? If so, it's killer! What band are you playing it in? There is a fabulous version by Samy Daussat's "Minor Swing Quartet", available from Buffalo Brothers in San Diego.
    I deal in lead, friend.