Thread: Cooney's Reel on the mandolin

Blog Entries

Default Cooley's Reel on the mandolin

I'd say this young man is well on his way!

Last edited by Bernie Daniel; Jun-28-2009 at 8:29pm.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Default Re: Cooney's Reel on the mandolin

Darn kids...

These young'ns always look so relaxed when they play, while I look like I'm about to have a nervous breakdown.
    Mark Ehrsam

Susquehanna Travellers
    York, PA

Cooney, Cooley, close enough. Who cares after enough Guinness anyway.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

We all tend to underestimate the learning abilities of kids and act astonished. In Ireland, playing tunes like that on the penny whistle is common for schoolchildren. And are we not just a little bit jealous about their easy approach?

Maintaining size proportions of player and instrument, this old man tried to feel like a kid again. It's never too late.

Bertram
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Bertram is right, all you have to do is go to one of our summer music festivals or summer schools back home and sit in a workshop where 2/3 of the participants are kids and they're all MILES better than the adults in the room, flying thru the tunes, totally at ease - it's awesome and intimidating at the same time!

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

Regarding the name... it's usually Cooley's but does sometimes go under Cooney's in some collections, CD titles etc., so both are OK!

The tune was popularised by Joe Cooley http://www.iol.ie/~ronolan/cooley.html, the renowned East Galway accordion player. So Cooley's makes more sense than Cooney's. No doubt, it was know by (an)other name(s) before.

There's a bit of interesting info on the (disputed) authorship of the tune here: http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/1

And yes - The lad's well on his way. I hope he manages to keep that nice steady pace.

Blog Entries

The sessions lists the following names for the tune Cooley's Reel:

Also known as Cooley's, Cooleys, Cooney's, Cuil Aodha, E Kreiz Hag Endro, Joe Cooley, Joe Cooley's, Joe Cooley's Fancy, JoE KoOlY'z, Luttrell's Pass, Put The Cake In The Dresser, Put The Cake On The Dresser, Ríl Chuil Aodha, The Tulla , The Tulla.

The odd thing is I did edit the title from Cooney's to Cooley's but when I looked later it was back to Cooney's???
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    The sessions lists the following names for the tune Cooley's Reel:

Also known as Cooley's, Cooleys, Cooney's, Cuil Aodha, E Kreiz Hag Endro, Joe Cooley, Joe Cooley's, Joe Cooley's Fancy, JoE KoOlY'z, Luttrell's Pass, Put The Cake In The Dresser, Put The Cake On The Dresser, Ríl Chuil Aodha, The Tulla , The Tulla.

Funny how Chinese (or Irish?) whispers is one of the key factors in the evolution of tune names. Cooney's and Cuil Aodha (pronounced approximately cool-AY or cool-EE, for those that don't know) have both clearly come about that way.

I'm not aware of any particular association between this tune and either anyone called Cooney or the village of Cuil Aodha. However, I believe guitarist Steve Cooney lives not far from there.

Blog Entries

whistler: Funny how Chinese (or Irish?) whispers is one of the key factors in the evolution of tune names.

No doubt that is the game that childern play where someone at one end of a long chain of kids whispers a statement and then it is whispered by the first to a second and so on to the end with startling results?

Some tune name changes are no doubt facilitated by a beer or two along the way?
    Bernie
    ____