Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left Hand Strength For Female Mandolin Players?

Default Left Hand Strength For Female Mandolin Players?

Most of the men have an advantage in that your hands are much stronger.

How long did it take all of you female mandolin players to build up the strength in your left hand so you could chord without buzz and make nice, clean sounds?

I thought mandolin would require less strength than a guitar, but I'm finding out it requires more.

I've already bought a Gripmaster. I've also found some exercises on www.expertvillage.com.

Any tips or tricks I should know about?

Carolyn
    Shawnee Creek F-style
    www.shawneecreekwoodworks.com
    Crafter Acoustic/Electric wallhanger
    www.carolynboyles.com
    www.livingwithspinalcordinjury.com
    www.colonialdevelopmentcommission.com (a website I moderate)

Default Re: Left Hand Strength For Female Mandolin Players?

Quote Originally Posted by Carolie View Post
    Most of the men have an advantage in that your hands are much stronger.

How long did it take all of you female mandolin players to build up the strength in your left hand so you could chord without buzz and make nice, clean sounds?

I thought mandolin would require less strength than a guitar, but I'm finding out it requires more.

I've already bought a Gripmaster. I've also found some exercises on www.expertvillage.com.

Any tips or tricks I should know about?

Carolyn
    If you have mastered the four-finger chop chords used in bluegrass music, just putting on a CD and playing rhythm to it is some of the best strengthening you can do.

No place close. Just starting out.

Carolyn
    Shawnee Creek F-style
    www.carolynboyles.com

Musical Photo Junkie Chris Keth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carolie View Post
    No place close. Just starting out.

Carolyn
    I think it helps to finger the chords and then do exercises in those positions where you press and release repeatedly.

I can't provide you an answer on this. I've been playing violin for a long time, and in the past 3 years came back to playing mandolin again.

I'd start with simple two finger chords on the mandolin and work your way up to more fingers.
    And I'd recommend you practice in "short bursts". Playing your instrument four times a day for 10 - 15 minutes each will get you further along than one forty minute session.
    Sheryl --- Me

I think when everybody starts out they think they don't have the hand strength, which is true to a certain extent. However, this is true for all stringed instruments. I started on guitar at 14 and the first month I thought that the open F chord was crazy. My father (cello) gave me this advice:

"You are (a beginer and) pushing too hard because you don't have feel for how little or how hard you have to push to get a sound. The more you practice the more you will get a feel for just the right amount of pressure."

Keep playing. Your strength will get better but you will also become more efficient with how hard you have to push. Also you might want to check your action(space between the string and frets) and see if you can lower it, although it will change your sound and volume.

Welcome to the Cafe!!

Mandolins are taught little things but I think most adults regardless of gender have the inherent strength to fret them. Finger control is more important than strength in my opinion and that only comes with many hours at the fretboard. My pinky sometimes still won't listen no matter how much I bargain with it. Practice on, John

Hi Carolyn,

I am a relative beginner too so I feel your pain (literally, sometimes!).

One thing that has helped me with chords is the FFcP exercises (scales and arpeggios). They don't contain chords but are designed to build up the strength in your little finger. I've found that they do that, and also have increased the flexibility and "stretch" in my left hand. All these things help with chording.

As time has gone on and I've practiced more and more, I am finding the "sweet spots" to fret and am actually using less pressure.

What gauge strings are you using? Maybe you could switch to lighter strings until you build up your left hand strength, so you don't get discouraged.

Sara

Carolyn,

You might try some lighter gauged strings too. That's what I did and now I'm playing D'Addario EXP 74's. For about the first week my fingers screamed ( I practice 2+ hours a day) then it got better. Using the grip master will help too. But, just getting in there and doing scales, and chords is going to be the best thing you can do. The more you play the more you will not notice the buzzing, cause you're working through it. Hang in there.
    Susan
    Weber SE
    Hoffee Mandolin case

Thanks.
    I'll give light gauge strings a try.

Carolyn
    Shawnee Creek F-style
    www.carolynboyles.com

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Carolyn,

I have felt your pain. I have had many hours of fingertip pain because of trying to use STRENGTH to chord the mandolin.

The more experience I get (I'm 3 years into mando) the less strength and pressure is needed.

It was hard for me not to press really hard while jamming. It has been really difficult for me to convince my fingers that they only need to press the string to the top of the fret and not halfway through the neck! I have to practice daily with that thought in mind and it's gradually sinking in.

Another mind game is to practice placing the fingertips precisely behind each fret as you're playing, not just SOMEWHERE between the frets. If you can hit that sweet spot, it should take very little pressure to get the string to the fret if the setup is okay.

Obviously, being sure the instrument is properly set up and that the strings aren't heavier than they need to be will help.

It's all a work in progess for me.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Hi! (from another female mandolin player!) I've been playing the mandolin for just over 4 years. I didn't play any stringed instrument before the mandolin, so my hands and fingers were completely 'virgin' when it came to playing a stringed instrument! I've since branched out to the Octave Mandolin, Cittern & Tenor Banjo. I've bought a couple of guitars, but haven't spent the time to learn to play them much at all!

I came into this phase of my life age 51, already having Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in both hands. If I avoid doing the things that cause flareups, I've got it pretty much under control. When I do have flareups, wearing those braces on my hands when I sleep, and taking Ibuprophen, is my treatment of choice that works for me.

I've found that chording anything for much time at all, really irritates my CTS! For me, it's having my thumb have to assume any kind of squeezing action (like scissors, pruners, etc) that is a no-no.

So, I don't think my problem is strength, but, I do have a problem!

Maybe it's a cop-out, but I don't play bluegrass (where 4 finger chord chopping is a necessity). I've gotten around the issue by concentrating on playing melody. I play Old-Time & Celtic, for the most part, and it's a blast.

However, I've had to constantly assess my left hand, because of pain issues, when playing. I totally endorse using the FFcP exercises! One thing that I've found that really helps, is just making minute changes in the way that you hold your mandolin, till you find just the right angle. If you look at it as a whole body thing.... your fingers, your wrist, your elbow, your shoulder, your back....

I watch the videos of awesome mandolin players, and their fingers are amazing. There's no 'strength' look to what their fingers do.... they just seem to 'walk' along the fretboard! And, I think that comes from practicing so much that each finger can independently act on it's own, with no thought from you, and no care what the other fingers are doing! I understand that, I just can't do it!

Going to the OM, actually, is easier on my hand than the mandolin. Plus, you use all 4 fingers, so it helps your mandolin playing. When I chord on the OM, I use mostly 2 finger chords.

Good luck!
    Barb

Smile Re: Left Hand Strength For Female Mandolin Players?

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Shultz View Post
    Hi! (from another female mandolin player!) !

Maybe it's a cop-out, but I don't play bluegrass (where 4 finger chord chopping is a necessity). I've gotten around the issue by concentrating on playing melody. I play Old-Time & Celtic, for the most part, and it's a blast.

Barb
    Hi..I'm new here.
    Also a female.
    I've been playing the mandolin since Jan. of this year. I'm left handed,so strength is not a problem for me...One thing I've found that helps is to put all my fingers onto the strings,and press,holding that position for 10-15 seconds and then playing a tune and repeating just pressing the strings for a bit and releasing.
    I'm also into Celtic and old time music...Can't play fast though..

i ve only been playing for a week but I guess I have very strong hands for a woman. in fact our leadguitarist ( male) cannot press the chords down on the mandolin as hard as I can..I also have very hardened fingertips..no pain at all,..
    I do get some occasional fretbuzz because of the size of the mandolin ..especially when I ve been playing my guitar lol
    but I can imagine it is hard on your hands carolie, especially the pinky is not a finger we exercise a lot.. ( some people rather exercise their middle finger as I noticed on the road again today:p)

How do you have your action set up? Many mandolins come set up with a "medium" or higher action to increase volume.

For a beginner I would recommend that you lower the action as much as possible without causing buzzing. You might be amazed at how light a touch is required for a clean sound.

Just thought of one more thing ... where is your thumb?

As a female I have smaller hands than most men. I have to put my thumb on the back of the mando, i.e. in classical guitar position, so I don't dampen the E string while reaching for the G string. This has the advantage of giving you a little more leverage when chording. If you can do this without hand pain issues, it might help.

The luthier set the action low for me when he delivered the mandolin. I've got some light gauge strings on order.

I'll have to watch when I get the mandolin out later today and see where my left thumb is when I play.

I'm leaning toward playing Celtic because I wouldn't have to chop.

Thanks all.

Carolyn
    Shawnee Creek F-style
    www.carolynboyles.com

Unnecessary force applied to the left hand fretting wears down the frets under the plain
    steel strings, and the windings on the other ones, (steel harder than the frets, bronze, softer)

so developing a habit of pressing the string down just enough to have the note ring clearly

is really better .. in the long term...
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

My hand strength came mostly through playing the instrument an hour or so a day. I had been a woodwind player (flute and recorder) with a little piano thrown in, and the mando was my first fretted instrument. I just played it every day and over time the muscles (eventually) got used to the action. I play Celtic so I don't do chords (or only two-finger chords and then only rarely), so movement is more important to me than banging. I wish I knew some shortcuts to tell you; I guess the only advice I have is practice and patience.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Try this exercise:
    Place the index finger on the first fret of the G string -press down firmly and hold in place.
    Place the middle finger on the second fret of the G string - ditto.
    Place the ring finger on the 3rd fret of the G string - ditto
    Place the pinky on the 4th fret of the G string - ditto.
    Move to the D string and repeat.
    Repeat for A and E strings.
    Start over...

Thanks Eddie,
    I'll give it a try!

Carolyn
    Shawnee Creek F-style
    www.carolynboyles.com

Having taught many women who were new to the mandolin (and I realize I am repeating some of what has already been posted):

Everyone starts off squeezing the neck too hard with a "death-grip"
    The left hand thumb especially takes a beating!

You just want to press lightly by the fret with the least amount of pressure from your fingertip that is needed to sound the note clearly.
    Soon, the nerves in your fingertip will get used to efficiently fretting the double courses with a very light touch.

First, make sure your left wrist is straight with your elbow next to your side, not up in the air. Depending on the length of your forearm, most people have the neck pushed a few inches away from them then the body of the mandolin.

Try playing the easiest song you know very, very slowly.
    Make sure you are not holding your breath when you play as breathing relaxes your muscles.
    Play the first four notes of the song over and over many times, paying attention to how lightly you are pressing with your left hand, making sure you are relaxed and breathing.
    Eventually, you will learn to play this way (loose and buzz-free) even on the more up-tempo songs.

I just found this video on YouTube about 2 finger chords:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eyn4eES_L4s

Efficient technique is more important than hand strength.
    There is a quote from the classical guitar world that goes something like:
    "It is easy to play well, but a lot of work to play badly" :-)
    Last edited by Mark Levesque; Jun-07-2009 at 9:18am.
    Mark Levesque and Judy Handler
    International and Classical Music
    http://www.judyandmark.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/acousticblend
    The New American Mandolin Ensemble on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4L...uROoOXFj6GVSg/

Speaking of women and technique, Judy and I are off to New York in a couple of hours to see Tamara play a concert in Yorktown Heights:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVaPVIpzpvc
    Mark Levesque and Judy Handler
    International and Classical Music
    http://www.judyandmark.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/acousticblend
    The New American Mandolin Ensemble on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4L...uROoOXFj6GVSg/

I can't sound a note clearly no matter how hard I press on medium gauge strings--on the wrapped strings. I have a set of light gauge on order.

Carolyn
    Last edited by Carolie; Jun-07-2009 at 11:44am. Reason: need to clarify something I said
    Shawnee Creek F-style
    www.carolynboyles.com

I have not read this whole thread bjt I would have your mandolin checked out by a competent luthier. You could probably minimize the pressure you need to put on the strings. Lighter gauge should help some.

I would be careful with that Gripmaster. I heard some folks hurt their hands by overdoing it.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1