Thread: Bent tops

Default Bent tops

I've seen some mandolins, like the Martin A style ones and most bowlbacks, that have the top bent down at the lower end. I'm wondering why they do this, does it have something to do with tone, or is there anther reason for it?

Jack

Destroyer of Mandolins

Default Re: Bent tops

I'm probably wrong, but I've always assumed it was a method to achieve the angle of the strings from the bridge to the tailpiece. Without the bend in the top, the strings of a bowlback would be nearly a straight line from the nut to the other end, and there would be little pressure on the bridge. Just a guess on my part though.

Forgive my unqualified answer, but your post was heading for page two where few would ever see it, so at least my guess bumps your question back to the top of the list.

Oh, and welcome to the Cafe!
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Blog Entries

While Tim's answer may have some merit for bowlbacks, there are plenty of true flat topped instruments without the fold or cant. I have a Jack Spira cant topped mandolin. I honestly don't know what the advantage (if any) of cant topped over flat topped would be. I know my mandolin sounds great. I hope a builder or two can chime in.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Thanks, Tim. I'm really enjoying the Cafe.

I suppose your explanation makes sense; I never thought of that. But why would it be any different from guitar with a flat top and a tailpiece? Do mandolins need higher string tension on the bridge? There are other flat top mandolins that don't utilize the bend. I guess it could just be a particular design element.

Jack

I thought it added stiffness to the top wtih less bracing.
    Jim Richmond

Destroyer of Mandolins

Hi Jack. I don't really know. Like I said, it was only a guess and probably wrong. There are lots of instruments that don't have that feature and work perfectly fine. But now that your post is getting some replies maybe a builder will chime in. I'm sure there must be a reason, but I never thought about it before. Jim's answer make sense too, for all I know.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user