Thread: Lloyd LaPlant

Default Lloyd LaPlant

Just noticed that LaPlant is the builder of the day. I've met the gentleman and his son, and the mandolins they had that day in Harrison Ar. are the best sounding mandolins I have ever picked. Mind you, there are a GREAT many builders whose instruments I've never been around, but those two personal instruments were the best, hands down. I also know a fella who comes to Winfield every Sept. who has one that is awesome. So......just wondering if anyone around the cafe has one, has played one, knows the LaPlants, etc.
    If ever a builder was under the radar, it's those guys. I've never seen one for sale, anywhere.
    Mike Snyder

Default Re: Lloyd LaPlant

Sure, Lloyd is a great guy and makes a good mandolin. We see each other once a year at the MBOTMA March festival and he's always got a mandolin or two. He makes a good guitar too.

Lloyd LaPlant is the first mandolin builder I ever met in person. Back many years ago I used to go to his place in Minnesota and he would show me everything in his shop and basement and his wife would fix me a cold lemonade and sandwich. Lloyd is a very fine man and his instruments are wonderful. The best 12 fret slothead guitar I've ever played was made by Lloyd, and I've played the best by nearly every builder. His mandolins are always a treat to see and play. He is one of my favorite people, builders, and a real gentleman!
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

I also had the pleasure of meeting Mr. LaPlant at Harrison, AR at the Fiddler's Convention this past March. What a talented builder and an excellent musician too. It was a real treat to hear him play, his mandolins are outstanding, and he's quite friendly and congenial. There sure was a lot of good music at Harrison this year, I'm already looking forward to next year.

Chris

I'm the proud owner of a 1983 LaPlant F-5, Number 11. I just had it re-fretted, replaced the original nut with bone and had the fingerboard scooped. Here's a picture from a few years ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1983_LaPlant_Composite.jpg 
Views:	950 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	42988  
    "Got time to breathe, got time for music" -- Briscoe Darling

I met Lloyd and his sons eons ago at a GAL convention in South Dakota...

Great guy, with a great attitude about what he builds...

I met Lloyd many years ago when I lived in the Dakotas and visited them a number of times -- I have a varnish A5 (ol' #99) and an A-mandola (#1-46, his first one) made by Lloyd. Yes indeed, he does make an excellent guitar - I have a D-style guitar (#90) he custom made for me nearly 20 years ago and I much prefer it over my D-28 -- great tone and volume, and a treat to play. They're all well-built, great-sounding instruments and I wouldn't part with any of them. Sons Don and Bill also make great instruments, so very much a "family affair". Wonderful folks -- I sure miss the visits!
    Too many instruments...too little time

I have spent the last three SPBGMA weeks with LLoyd and his wife. He loves to play and build. He is a self-professed sucker for an old fiddle. He makes an A and F model mandolin. The mandolins I have played are loud and very responsive. Add to that an extremely fine gentleman, and he is a pleasure to talk to and as honest as they come.
    Dusty Oliver

I own two of Lloyd's mandos #6 & 106. I had 106 re-freted a couple months and got to play some of his most recently completed mandos. I also got to play one of his son Don's mandos in the white and that was great too.

He has been known the "other" Lloyd at IBMA. That should give people an idea of the quality of his instruments.
    “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

My Mandos:
    1981 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #6
    2001 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #57
    2006 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #106
    2017 Boeh F5 #27
    2020 Boeh 2-point #31
    2012 Grey Eagle 2-point #57V

Thanks, guys. I met Lloyd and the elder son about five years ago at the winter fiddlers convention in Harrison, Ar. They were picking in an entryway at the college where the light wasn't too good. I was under the impression that these two had Gilchrist mandolins until I got to talk with Lloyd. He handed me his well worn instrument and it spoke with a voice I will remember to my grave. I'm not into the "good, better, best" thing with mandolins. I'm very satisfied with what I've got. I run into ones that sound strong all the time. No problems with MAS. But I am haunted by the sound that came out of that box. And yes, he was very congenial. Good sense of humor, and they both were having a ball playing music. They picked fiddle tunes and ribbed folks that had trouble getting in to the college 'cause we had the foyer all full of pickers.
    Mike Snyder

mandolinist, Mixt Company D C Blood's Avatar

A good friend of mine down here, Lisa Horngren, has a LaPlant. Fine mandolin...I don't know the date or number, but it sounds fine.
    D C Blood Mixt Company
    '96 Ratcliff Silver Eagle/Angel
    '09 Silverangel F5 distressed
    '09 Ratcliff A model distressed
    ..Blue Chip pick user...
    www.facebook.com/davidcblood
    www.facebook.com/silverangelmandolins
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?albumid=109 photo album url

Does anyone here know what Lloyd is asking now for his mandolins. Just a ball park figure

Registered User OlderThanWillie's Avatar

In June of 2016 the price is $7000 for an F-model.
    OTW

Quote Originally Posted by OlderThanWillie View Post
    In June of 2016 the price is $7000 for an F-model.
    I love this place. I am sure that slk is appreciative of the answer even if it took almost 9 months to get answered.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1