Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi, and would like some opinions

Default Re: Hi, and would like some opinions

Hey, many thanks everyone! I am loving your opinions and all of the information you are providing. There is certainly a wealth of collective knowledge here. I am checking out the internet resources people have recommended, and the local resources. Elderly Music is about a day's drive from here - that could be entertaining :-)

Chris

Hi Christy,
    I'm jealous that you're only a day away from Elderly! I just ordered a mando case, strap, and gig bag from them online...wish I'd gotten to go in person.

Anyway, people have given great advice so far. Just wanted to echo what others have said that the entry level Eastmans are really great (I don't have one - yet - but I've played a bunch and find them really comfortable) and that if you decide to go the flat-top oval hole, the Big Muddy's are also really comfortable to play in my experience.

Have fun!

The oval hole, carved top Kentucky KM-170 series has been getting a lot of praise (e.g. here) and is actually quite a ways under your limit (<$300). They say it's best to buy as much mandolin as you can afford but I thought I'd mention it. I just got a KM-174 as my first mando and I love it. Can't wait to get some Jazzmando JM-11 strings on it.

Hi Christy,
    My opinion and advice for that price range would be to buy used. The original buyer will take the greatest loss on the instrument. I just sold my km505 in the classifieds and got about 2/3 of what I paid for it. I believe that is typical.
    I pay attention to the classifieds here and I think there are some deals to be had. I'm pretty sure you could get a used Breedlove Quartz for a little more than your stated price range, MidMo/Big Muddy's show up regularly and if you decide to upgrade later you could probably get what you paid for it. Just a thought.
    Good luck and enjoy,
    >>>===> Dave

Yes, finger rest. I must get my terminology straight. I personally like the look of one, especially the abbreviated one I put on my Shiro A.
    See the photo here: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/al...&pictureid=983
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

I am so conflicted! I can get a little KM for a few hundred dollars - nice price. I can spend twice that and get an Eastman - very pretty and good recommendations. For the same price I can get a hand made in the Ozarks mandolin at Shawnee Creek woodworks. I just wish I could play them first to see how they feel and sound!

Chris

I know, it's really tough to decide when you can't play them all first and compare them to each other to see which you like best!

For what it's worth, the Eastman mandolins are also handmade instruments - they're just handmade outside the U.S. I'm not sure if the Kentucky instruments are hand made...I think they are, but someone else can probably confirm or correct me here.

I'm not familiar with the mandolin you mentioned that's made in the Ozarks, but at that price it is probably a flat top oval hole. So there will be differences between that and the Eastman (carved top, either oval or f-hole) and the Kentucky (also carved top, oval or f=-hole).

Personally, I really like flat top oval hole mandolins, because they have a really long sustain and nice ringing tone. I mostly play alone, and I don't play bluegrass, so I don't need an instrument that can cut through a million bnajos and prefer something that sounds better on its own. You may prefer something different. Also a disclaimer, I've been a musician for a long time, but I've only been playing the mandolin a few months. So I'm sure my opinions will change over time...you probably won't go wrong with any of these choices.

Looked at the Shawnee Creek Woodworks website. If the mandolins are what the builder advertises -- Adirondack spruce tops, maple back and sides, all hand-carved, two-point or F-style -- then his prices are pretty amazing: $550 for a two-point, $650 for an F-style. Never having seen or played one, I can't speak to quality; I'd see if you could get the name of someone who plays one, perhaps from Mr. Holmes, and talk to that person. You're getting a good deal more than you'd get for the same price, even in an imported Asian instrument, and that always evokes two separate reactions: (1) what a wonderful bargain! -- and, (2) how can he do this? -- there must be a catch somewhere. If it looks like Shawnee Creek mandolins are the "real deal," I'd be really tempted to buy one, were I in your shoes.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Got to recomend a Rover RM75 as an affordable F style that sounds good and plays well.
    Jim Richmond

Like someone mentioned ... great value with a used mandolin, if you have an idea what you're looking for ... like 50-70% of original retail cost of a spanking new one.

Also, better to stretch upward in your price range for a higher quality one, then you can grow into it. Many of us here have a rather uncontrollable problem, once infected by the bug .... it's known as ..... errrr....ummmm ..... let's forget it for now! Happy hunting!

I love the idea of finding a great used mandolin. But:

I have had bad luck with guitars that way. They were not kept in humidy controlled environments and had bent necks, rendering them difficult to play beyond 1st position. Is this a non-issue with mandolins?

And - I can't find any locally. How do I know if one I find on the internet is okay?

I did look at the KM in the classifieds here, and there was also a Michael Kelly (if I got that right). I haven't heard anything about a Michael Kelly - any reason for that?

Chris

Reputable online dealers such as The Mandolin Store, Elderly Instruments, etc will always give accurate descriptions of the condition of any used instruments they sell. I've never had a problem and have bought many instruments that way.

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

I was actually finding that pretty frustrating. Elderly has some really expensive used mandolins. They are also very descriptive about what precisely is wrong with them, which may make sense to experienced mandolin players, but to a novice, they sound ominous. In addition, they specifically spell out As Is, so I could not count on their experience to help with those adjustments. It was the reputable dealers that started making me nervous about buying a used mandolin. If it seemed iffy with them, buying one from someone else could be more worrisome.

Chris

Is your Rogue unplayable? Has it had a setup? I ask because if you can and will play it for a while, then I would until you have the chance to play a bunch of different mandolins, A and F as well as round ,oval or F hole and see what you like. I really like the sound of flat or bent top ( round/oval hole) though I have an F style with F holes too and it's just perfect for some music as well. Anyway some rogues can be made to play well enough to get you by until you know for sure what you want.
    Jim Richmond

If buying used from reputable dealers worries you then you may be as well buying a new instrument - but it may still arrive needing a set up, that wouldn't be unusual for instruments in your price range.

Elderly list "AS-IS" on used instruments that are going cheaper because they need work done to them. They also sell used instruments that do not need work and are not listed "as-is". I'm not trying to convince you to go the used route - just stating that fact about Elderly so that any other newbies reading this thread won't get the wrong idea about Elderly's policy for selling used instruments.

Cheers,
    Jill
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Jill, I hope I didn't give the impression that Elderly Music isn't reputable. I have heard nothing but good things about them and am looking forward to visiting their store sometime this summer. I wouldn't want other newbies to think that they are not trustworthy. I just don't know, as a beginner, how to interpret what the implications of the listed defects of the used instruments are. Having had some not-so-good experiences buying used guitars I have some apprehensions about going in naive.

Jim, my Rogue is playable. As I have been doing my research, I am realizing that I will be playing it for a while until I have had the opportunity to find and play some different mandolins before deciding what to get. I had my first mandolin lesson on Thurs. My teacher suggested that I get some light gauge strings to make it easier to play. I purchased those today and plan to restring it tomorrow.

I am not certain exactly what a 'set up' is. I restrung it and placed the bridge when I got it. The pinky rest is missing a nut and rattling around. I am just going to take it off - I am so glad to know that it doesn't have to be there.

Chris

What's a pinky rest?

Carolyn
    Shawnee Creek F-style
    www.shawneecreekwoodworks.com
    Crafter Acoustic/Electric wallhanger
    www.carolynboyles.com
    www.livingwithspinalcordinjury.com
    www.colonialdevelopmentcommission.com (a website I moderate)

Still learning Taylor and Tenor's Avatar

Smile Re: Hi, and would like some opinions

I am no expert but I purchased a new Kentucky a style, oval hole, KM172 based upon the sound, quality as well as the Celtic look of the instrument for my first mandolin. I have been very pleased. I paid $300.00 for it with a nice hard shell case.

The 505 is a nice instrument and may be my next upgrade. Try to play as many as you can. Find one you like that feels good and enjoy it!

Christy,
    A set up is when the neck relief, action and intonation are all adjusted to allow maximum playability. I've played Eastman 504/505's and Kentucky KM505's that weren't well set up and wasn't wildly impressed, but have also played the exact same models well set up and couldn't put them down.

Cheers,
    Jill
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Quote Originally Posted by Carolie View Post
    What's a pinky rest?

Carolyn
    Finger rest, maybe? I think it is actually called a finger rest... I'm still on the steep slope of the learning curve. I don't think yours has one - it is the attachment you see on a lot of mandolins. I thought it was a pick guard. I am very happy to take it off of mine as in addition to it flapping around because it's missing a piece, I find it unattractive.

Chris

It's both a pickguard and a finger rest (Two, two, two mints in one!). If you look at mandolins without pickguards that have been played long and vigorously, you'll often see deep scratches in the top where the pick dug into the wood. Speaking guitaristically, I have a Gibson LG-3/4 that's really "corrugated" on the non-pickguard (bass) side of the soundhole, by years of aggressive flat-picking. The pickguard is designed to prevent such scratching; early mandolins had faux tortoise-shell pickguards glued directly to their tops. Gibson (and others) came out with a raised pickguard, not glued to the top, but attached to the body by a bracket. This attachment is also well-placed to accommodate those who plant their fingers on their mandolins while picking, hence "finger rest."
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Christy,

You're right to be cautious about buying used, but your best bet is from some place like Elderly, Janet Davis Music, The Mandolin Store, etc. If you call or email them about a particular mando's issues they have a reputation for being up-front/honest. As someone who's been burned by an Ebay purchase (advertised in perfect condition, came with a chipped nut, barely functional bridge, and the fretboard separating from the neck with a nice neck bow and not a lot of truss adjustment left), I understand your concern. I have had two good experiences on the Classifieds here, but both were inexpensive purchases with little risk involved...both came as advertised, though, and I'm still playing them both...

If you're just too nervous to take the plunge, make the pilgrimage to Elderly and spend an hour or two trying out all the mandos on their wall (just for comparison), then whittle your choices down to the ones in your range. You may discover than you can find a gem that sounds as good as one of the 1500 dollar models to your ears and for far less, but you've really gotta search through them...you'll also get a better idea of what neck profile you like the best, which can help you decide as well...

You may also discover that you won't really be happy with anything other than "insert favorite brand here." In that case, at least you'll know and can just save until you can get what you want rather than upgrading purely for the sake of upgrading...

Good luck!!
    Chuck

There I was expecting some delightful gadget to mount on the neck to keep the left hand in the proper position relative to the mandolin....Darn!

Carolyn
    Shawnee Creek F-style
    www.carolynboyles.com

For me Janet Davis would be the nearest big name pilgrimage (about a 5 hours' drive) and I've heard good things about Blue Moon in Fayetteville, but I have this thing against paying state sales tax, which I find not only offensive, it raises the price.

Carolyn
    Shawnee Creek F-style
    www.carolynboyles.com

[QUOTE Speaking guitaristically, I have a Gibson LG-3/4 that's really "corrugated" on the non-pickguard (bass) side of the soundhole, by years of aggressive flat-picking. The pickguard is designed to prevent such scratching; "[/QUOTE]

I have a clear stick-on golpeador for my flameco guitar. I can slap it on before playing and peel it back of when I'm done. Since the guitar is also a percussion instrument, it keeps it from being totally dinged up, but doesn't deaden the sound. I wonder if there is a market for something like that for the mandolin....

Chris