Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $500 F-5 Mandolin

Registered User Douglas McMullin's Avatar

Default Re: $500 F-5 Mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    If you wouldn't buy an F model is this price range then you don't have an answer for the original question. This gets back to Allen's ham sandwich theory.
    I don't think that is quite fair to the folks suggesting A models in these kinds of threads. If a close friend came to me with the same question, I would also steer them towards an A, and try to explain why in the process. I'm not sure why I should not do the same here, as it is likely that someone asking this question would not know the reason for considering and A over an F, particularly at this price point.

I wish I had the same advice when I got tunnel visioned on an F for my first mandolin. Nobody is trying to strong arm the OP into buying something he doesn't want, and it seems very relevant to at least make the OP aware that he can get quite a bit more instrument for his money if he considers an A.

But, it isn't an answer to the original question. He didn't ask what style to buy and your experience might not be the OP's experience. If you ask me what model of Chevrolet you should buy would the answer buy a Ford be correct? If you asked what material you wanted a suit made of would the answer by a pair of shoes be correct? The answers are pretty obvious. We do this all the time here, it won't change and no, it's not unfair.

Let's reverse it. If the OP had asked "What kind of A style mandolin should I buy?" would the answer buy and F style have been correct? No, that wasn't what was asked.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

As with most things, opinions on subjects are often much broader than a black and white answer. I agree that suggesting an A does not specifically answer the questions posted, but it certainly seems more than relevant, and to me appropriate.

I'm not trying to be argumentative on the subject, but I am coming from the experience that 9 years ago I was in the same position of the OP, more or less asking the same question, and I sure wish a few people shouted out the reasons for considering an A when I had F on the brain.

If someone asks about buying a mandolin and doesn't know enough I will always point them at an A style. If they have their heart set, I'm more inclined to just answer the question. I own both. The next one I buy will probably be an A strictly from a money standpoint but if I'd asked the same question I would have wanted to know what F styles were out there in my price range.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Let's reverse it. If the OP had asked "What kind of A style mandolin should I buy?" would the answer buy and F style have been correct? No, that wasn't what was asked.
    If there was an F or two point of superior quality to the A's considered in the same price range I would still think it appropriate to suggest it.

That said, if the forum rule is that answers must strictly respond to questions in OP, I will certainly abide by that, but I think it would filter out good information on many subjects.

There aren't any rules on the subject, it's just nicer to answer the questions posed by those looking for information rather than changing the question. If they know enough to know the differences between the styles they are probably driven as much by the way the instrument looks as they are by anything else. Nobody ever says "Buy and A" when someone is looking for a bowlback, or if they do I haven't seen it. This person was looking for a specific style in a specific price range. The least we can do is point them towards what they are trying to find. If they said What's the best F style mandolin I can find in the $10,000 range I seriously doubt anyone would suggest an A style. We would have just answered the question. For whatever reason we can't seem to do that on a question like the one the OP asked.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Just in case the OP is still reading - The Mandolin Store does the Eastman 505 with a case for $599. They'll sometimes have blems or shopworn ones for a bit less.

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Musical Photo Junkie Chris Keth's Avatar

But, it isn't an answer to the original question.
    In school I asked which one of the taxes was the cause of the American Revolution. Of course it wasn't really any of the taxes and the answer I got ended up being history class for a week or more. I guess my point is that I didn't know enough to even ask a particularly educated question, but I still got the right answer and it was in depth enough to be worthwhile.

Bah! I mixed up the 505 (an A style) with the 515 (F-style) so disregard my last post - I wasn't trying to push peanut butter on you when you asked for ham!

But you should keep your eyes peeled for a used 515, which might be had in your price range...

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

No one mentioned "The Loar" LM-500 or LM-600. I don't know how they compare to the others, but I had a 600 model for a while and thought it sounded just fine,.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyjammer View Post
    No one mentioned "The Loar" LM-500 or LM-600. I don't know how they compare to the others, but I had a 600 model for a while and thought it sounded just fine...
    Gianna Violins has it here for $550 with a "Guardian featherweight" (read "foam") case. Pretty close to the OP's stated price range.

A ham sandwich with, perhaps, swiss cheese...puts the price up a tad...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Rover RM75, Had mine 4 years now with no issues and it cured my need for a scroll.
    Jim Richmond

I was in our local high end mandolin store the other day and I was playing all the mandolins and then the manager handed me a Rover RM-75 and it was fantastic! The reason he wanted me to play it was because he knew it sounded better than some high end mandolins on the wall that cost up to 8 times as much!!! All solid woods to boot and fully bound and easy to play. The days are now gone when $500 would only buy junk. The Rover is a great mandolin! Nick
    ntriesch

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Triesch View Post
    The reason he wanted me to play it was because he knew it sounded better than some high end mandolins on the wall that cost up to 8 times as much!!! Nick
    I find that pretty hard to believe! He sounds like a real salesman.

The Forrest Gump of Mando Rob Powell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Gianna Violins has it here for $550 with a "Guardian featherweight" (read "foam") case. Pretty close to the OP's stated price range.

A ham sandwich with, perhaps, swiss cheese...puts the price up a tad...
    Somebody should snap that up....those go for $750 all day long If I thought for a second that my wife wouldn't kill me, I'd do it
    "If you can make it to 50 without growing up, you don't have to..."

Rob Powell AKA The BeerGeek

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Triesch View Post
    The reason he wanted me to play it was because he knew it sounded better than some high end mandolins on the wall that cost up to 8 times as much!!!
    I find that pretty hard to believe! He sounds like a real salesman.
    Saga has done a very good job of producing consistently good sounding and playing instruments for the last few years. Their Blueridge guitars have caused similar controversies on the acoustic guitar forums. The general consensus seems to be "95% of a Martin for 25% of the price". Personally, I am very happy with my Blueridge BR160 and my Rover RM75 along with all the money I saved. My Blueridge is NOT a Martin, the Rover is NOT a Gibson, but they both play very well and to my ears sound very good. I should add that both instruments were bought at the only local music store that specializes in acoustic instruments and from what I found, probably the only local store that bothers to setup their instruments before putting them out for sale.

I know the manager of this store for several years and when I was playing the expensive mandolin he handed me the Rover to try because I made a comment on how bad the $3100 mando sounded. I knew it and he knew it too. He seemed a little put out that these very cheap pac rim instruments are getting so good. And they seem to be getting better every year. The whole bottom line to all of this is what a top San Diego repairman just told me...."Buying an F style mandolin is a #### shoot". What he is saying is that its hard to find a good one at any cost. If you do, you are lucky. A Kentucky Km-1000 can sound as good as a Collings MT-2 or a Gibson F5G or it could be the other way around. It's all luck in finding a good one. And when I say good, you know what I mean. They either are or they are not. Or they are so so. Nick
    ntriesch

So, OP, whatcha gonna buy?

Jill, I was very disappointed that your 505 rec wasn't a tension breaker ...

In my earlier post I gave a bunch of options...in reality I'd try all of the 5-600 mandos I could and pick the one that sounded best to me, regardless of the name on the headstock.

When I went through this same process a few years ago I bought my Kentucky 675-S...sounds great for the price, but I discovered that I like a beefier neck, and I probably won't buy another Kentucky based on this "feel" issue. My advice would probably be to get a Kentucky or Rover based on reputation, but I'd personally probably try a Michael Kelly with a radiused fretboard if I had to pick now. In reality my next purchase will probably be a Breedlove A or K style, or maybe a kit...
    Chuck

Saga sells its blems and repaired Kentucky and Rover mandolins on eBay via this storefront. I purchased an older KM-250S from them a few years ago that I was really happy with.

Currently they have one Rover RM-75 for only $199, but from the pics of the repair, I suspect the headstock broke off en reoute from their factory. They also have two KM-675's with minor cosmetic issues for $495 each, and two KM-855's, again with minor cosmetic issues, for $695 each.

(NFI)

BTW, I'm not sure what sort of used selection they have, but The Music Emporium in Lexington appears to be a serious mandolin store, given some of the makers they carry. To Chuck's point about playing whatever you can get your hands on, you might want to visit them and see what they have used, as well as to plink around on the mandolins they have on the wall to see what sounds, feels, and looks good to you.
    Last edited by Jim MacDaniel; Jun-08-2009 at 6:50pm.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Quote Originally Posted by Payit Forward View Post
    Here's one possibility if you're lucky. NFI

http://cgi.ebay.com/Eastman-515-mand...QQcmdZViewItem
    Hopefully the OP snagged that one -- good price and with a fiberglass case no less!
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Quote Originally Posted by Jim MacDaniel View Post
    Saga sells its blems and repaired Kentucky and Rover mandolins on eBay via this storefront. I purchased an older KM-250S from them a few years ago that I was really happy with.

Currently they have one Rover RM-75 for only $199, but from the pics of the repair, I suspect the headstock broke off en reoute from their factory. They also have two KM-675's with minor cosmetic issues for $495 each, and two KM-855's, again with minor cosmetic issues, for $695 each.

(NFI)

BTW, I'm not sure what sort of used selection they have, but The Music Emporium in Lexington appears to be a serious mandolin store, given some of the makers they carry. To Chuck's point about playing whatever you can get your hands on, you might want to visit them and see what they have used, as well as to plink around on the mandolins they have on the wall to see what sounds, feels, and looks good to you.
    I bought the Rover RM-75 off ebay made an offer for $150.
    Will be here next week.

Thanks to all who commented. It seems the Rover RM-75 won hands down. Being that I sold all my "spare" instruments to make this purchase, I paid a little more and went with the Eastman 515 CL. It comes with a case ($99), required no replacement bridge (as some have said the Rover required... $50), so for a "little" more, I have solid instrument (priceless), I believe.

You could try a fence post and Barb Wire!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daijoki View Post
    Thanks to all who commented. It seems the Rover RM-75 won hands down. Being that I sold all my "spare" instruments to make this purchase, I paid a little more and went with the Eastman 515 CL. It comes with a case ($99), required no replacement bridge (as some have said the Rover required... $50), so for a "little" more, I have solid instrument (priceless), I believe.

Congrats! Excellent choice, and I hope you enjoy it.
    Dan P,
    Victoria, BC

Plinkity,Plinkity Hillsdale Leroy's Avatar

Daijoki,
    I bet by your handle that you have been to Japan, Yes? Daijoki in Japanese is "Big Beer Mug". As for your question, I agree that you may get more bang for your buck in an A model.
    Because mine has eight, does that make it twice as cool as a ukulele?