Thread: old band reunion:

Blog Entries

Default old band reunion:

Not sure if this is where this post belongs. If it needs to be moved to another posting site ok. Just wanted to say how much fun I had this past Friday evening at my home. Had a reunion of old band members from the band Southbound out of North Carolina back in the '70's, 36 years ago is the last time we played together all but one got to make it, and also one other band member that took my place after I moved on.. We had a blast ! It's amazing to me how much tunes we could play that we used to do in our shows harmonies and all without a hitch. The original members of the band were; Jimmy Haley, guitar and lead and harmony singer, Hershey McMillian, 5 string banjo, and harmony singer, Jimmy Smith, bass and guitar and harmony, lead singer, and myself on mandolin and harmonies. The only original member that could not make it was Lou Reid, who can pick anything, but with our band back then played fiddle and bass, he had a prior commitment to play at the Bass Mountain Festival. The other member who made it was the second mandolin picker Dennis Severt, who also sang harmonies. This is without any doubt some of the best music I've helped play in many years, but no wonder as all these guys are superb musicians, and also dear friends. We only asked each other why it took so long to get back together. We are planning on getting together again this fall working around Lou's schedule, it will be video taped and recorded. Pitcures were taken by IBMA member/photographer Michael Lane , who is going to post them on his web-site. Also this fall we are going to try to get every member who was ever in the band, the only deceased member is Buck Arrington who played bass in the band later on in the later years. Other members of the band at one time are Ray Edwards, banjo and harmonies, and Doug Campbell bass and harmonies. It should be a very special time for all of us. After we get cd's done any on here who would like a copy just let me know, these will be home recorded from me. Not saying this to make money, far from it, just letting anyone who might be interested in the history of this Bluegrass band from long ago. Jimmy Haley and Lou Reid were among the band members of the first Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver band. My main reason for posting this is to say how happy it was for this old man to get back together with picking friends from my youth. I'll be updating any info I have later on about the other reunion. thanks.

Default Re: old band reunion:

It's always great to play with old friends. It sounds like it was a good time.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber