Thread: Octave Mandolin kit

I got this email from Don Kowalski last week. He has been making a flat-top mandolin kit for awhile, and is now coming out with an OM kit. He also teaches a class on building them, with some regularity in Virginia (at the same place where Niles Hokanen does his workshop). Thought some folks might be interested. I'm going to get one.
    Brent

Dear friends,
    I finally finished the construction of my new OM kit. The "Mill Creek". I had a bout with the flu and became very backlogged with repairs but its done and I am really pleased with it. I am writing to let you know I am in the process of writing the instruction book. I appreciate your interest and patience. This kit is fantastic. It is easy to put together and has a great sound. I am anticipating it will be ready for sale to the public in another month. It will come with all the same features as my mandolin kit. There will also be an option of tuning machines, tailpiece, and strings. The complete kit with everything will sell for $295 shipped anywhere in the Continental USA and $245 shipped anywhere in the Continental USA without the options mentioned. The pics show the instrument unfinished but I was so excited, I had to share it with you. As a further service, I will be available to help you every step of the way via the internet just as I do with my mandolin kit which has had great success. If you would like to see some sample pics from the instructions please let me know. Below is what will be in the kit. I make the kit and do all the work myself to insure its quality. This is a high quality instrument that will have a resale value of more than what it costs.

· 1 set of instructions

· 1 book matched black walnut back

· 1 book matched spruce top (sound board)

· 1 set of book matched sides (pre bent)

· 1 neck block (new bolt on design)

· 1 tail block

· 1 strip of wood for back spline

· 1 set of strips of kerfing /lining

· 1 set of wood braces (2 pieces of the same length) for the back

· 1 set of wood braces for the sound board consisting of 1 short wooden brace and 2 pieces for the X brace. The braces are precarved with an induced arch

· 1 neck with adjustable truss rod

· 1 peg head overlay veneer

· 1 bone nut

· 1 ebony bridge blank

· 1 tail piece with 3 screws (optional)

· 1 set of tuners (optional)

· 1 set of strings (optional)

· 1 slotted fingerboard (Pau Ferro) 22.875" scale length

· fret wire

· label

· 6 pearl inlay dots

· Truss rod cover

· 1 ebony heel cap

· 2 clamping wedges

· cardboard diamond template

· Masonite (MDF) clamping strips

Thanks for your interest and I look forward to working with you. This is the same kit I will be using at the Front Royal workshops in April. Thanks for your support.

Don

Don Kawalek
    Master Craftsman in wood / Luthier
    at home= kawalek@crosslink.net
    at work= dkawalek@access.k12.wv.us

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/kawale...age/index.html

Is there any info on when this kit will be availible for sale?
    " Sing to the Lord, bless His name;
    Proclaim the good news of His salvation from day to day.
    Declare His glory among the nations,
    His wonders among all peoples." (Psalm 96:2-3,NKJ)

We must keep an eye on this

The wait is almost over!!! I love the sound!! I am just putting on final touches to the instructions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	millcreek.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	1236  
    http://www.donkawalek.com
    "The only thing achieved in life without effort is failure."
    Dum Vixi Tacui Mortua Dulce Cano

Is there a little smiley for drooling?

That looks great! Simple and elegant. Clean and very classy. Keep us posted

My OM kit from Don arrived yesterday. I read the directions through and started getting my tools and work space organized. Doesn't look too complicated. Maybe even I can get a functional machine out of this. I think someone with a modicum of talent could really do well with this. Can't beat it for $295 delivered. Will post progress reports, but I'm going to take my time on this. Right now, I think I need to take a martini break and do some pondering.
    Cheers,
    Brent

Shaken not stirred, with olives. #
    And don't operate any tools under the affluence of incahol!

Don
    (get yer butt in gear and build that thaing)

Making progress. I have the top and back rough-cut to shape, braces installed and shaved. I just glued the tail ends of the sides together. Waiting for a part, then I progress to glueing the tail block and neck block in. So far, smooth sailing. I did get one of the back braces glued in noticeably crooked, but I'll try not to look on the inside often when its done. Of course it's the top brace that is most noticeable inside the sound hole. Live and learn.

What's the scale length on this thing?

Chicago - most lately but - home is in Northern Arkansas.

Brent - if anyone "else" notices the asymetrical cross brace ... tell them the idea came from a guitar builder who implemented it to create a different resonance pattern on the back plate. The thought goes - with four different sized sections, the resonant frequencies are enhanced.

(That's your story and you should stick by it!) Really - this was / is done by some custom builders and it seems to be one of the tricks a factory made instrument can't quite achieve. It's a lot simpler to stick the back struts on with a template and jig and then move on to other projects, rather than thinking it through as you obviously did. (There's a sly grin at that point in the conversation.)
    Mandola fever is permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by (Dolamon @ Mar. 16 2004, 06:53)
    Brent - if anyone "else" notices the asymetrical cross brace ... tell them the idea came from a guitar builder who implemented it to create a different resonance pattern on the back plate. The thought goes - with four different sized sections, the resonant frequencies are enhanced.

Exactly! #What he said!

Don

I got one of Don's new, hot off the shelf, OM kits in the mail two weeks ago and I've have had a chance to examine all the parts, and I must say everything is first rate.

I have built two of Don's regular mando kits - one in the Front Royal workshop and one at home - and the results are most pleasing.

A couple key things to point out:
    1. Don has re-engineered the assembly and has eliminated the workboard. All ya need is a simple spacer board.

2. Both the top and back have an induced arch thanks to the pre-shaped bracing. Piece of cake to put together.

3. The neck and neck block have been designed to give about a 3 degree back angle which produces a little better break angle at the bridge which theoretically puts a little more tension on the top for more volume. Also the sides are cut to match the 3 degree angle!

4. The neck blank has a adjustable truss rod already installed. The neck is designed to bolt on to the body and the threaded insert is installed in the neck as well.

5. I think the most important part is the kit comes with Don 24/7. I've learned soooo much builing the last two mandos and his input is invaluable.

I've heard the Mill Creek Octave mando over the phone last week and I was really impressed. It will kick some serious butt in the Celtic arena.

BTW, rumor has it there will be a killer set of plans for this OM available at the end of April.

Can't wait to build this baby!

Happy St Patty's Day,
    Jack

I finished the body yesterday. Looks pretty good too, if I do say so myself. I went back and forth with myself about adding some ornaments such as edge binding, more fretboard or peghead inlay, soundhole rosette. These would make it look much more professional, but I really have no idea how to go about such things, and I'm assuming some rather specialized tools would be required. I have a couple of friends who are professional luthiers, and I'm sure they'd give me access to their shops and tutelage, but I think that will have to wait until my next kit; I want to get this one done and play it.

I also put the pearl dots in the fretboard yesterday night. Next step is fretting, and I'm a bit worried about this one. From what I hear, one needs to get frets just right with regard to levelness, and I don't want to run into buzzing or frets that don't give me a clean note. I may get a friend with experience and proper tools to help me here.

Oh yeah - glueing the peghead veneer today too, and may start shaping the neck. Big fun so far.

Brent

Glad to hear it, Brent. Glad to hear it. I'm here if you need me.

Hey Guys,
    I'll be starting mine tonite! I plan to get the bracing glued in at least. Woohoo.
    Jack

Hi Folks,
    I finished my OM kit a couple of days ago. I'll post a pic if I can figure it out. I sent some to Don. Maybe he can post a pic of my finished product. There are a few minor errors, but I learned a lot, it plays well, and sounds great; definitely a fun experience.
    Cheers,
    Brent