Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Did You Ever Regret Selling a Mandolin?

Default Re: Did You Ever Regret Selling a Mandolin?

Yup,,,going through a divorce around 2001 and needing money,,I sold my '85 Stiver,,it had matured into a beast,,sold it to a Gent in Pennsylvania,,wish I had it back for sure,,but,,I think it got a good home.
    Passernig #64
    Gibson Blackjack
    Fender Wildwood '54 Reissue Strat
    Ernie Ball Silhouette

har har har de har

the har de har is for allen hopkins. but i sold a brazillian rosewood flat back and flat top(adirondack spruce, with lots if binding, by perfektone for a few hund red dollars. i learned years later it was made by the styathoupoulo family. should have put the cash in and fixed it to top condition. it sounded great but i didn;'t want to spend a dime at the time.

I regret selling my Weber SE/Gallatin oval F. Sold it to move up the mandolin food chain when I bought a Weber Vintage A (which was later sold for a Mike Black A4 and Hilburn A5). Still wish I had that Gallatin. Don't even think the person who bought it plays the damn thing either....
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

I have fond memories of my A 40... but I was not selling it to pay for a Divorce , (I've Never Married)

I had just been more into my Older A, in the time I had it it gained value,
    over what I scraped together to buy it .
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Every one of them!
    Should have kept the red Harmony, the KM-11(?), the A-40, the Stiver
    Hindsight is SO 20/20!
    Oh well, live and learn, die and forget it all.

But, on a side note, I can only play one at a time and the Alvarez has served me far better than I had originally expected! Pleasant in all weather, no complaints.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

A prototype Gibson DMM "Derringtons"
    And a Brentrup F-5C

I wish I still had my Martin style C.

When I first started playing mandolin in 1976, the first mandolin I owned was a Orpheum f-hole that I played for about a year. The second was a 1924 Gibson A snakehead. I've played many old Gibson A's over the years but that one was the strongest sounding one i've ever played. I had it until around 1998 when I sold it to pay off some debt. In the end, the amount I got for it didn't make much of a dent in my debt and I ended up losing a mandolin that I regretted selling the minute it left my hands. I've wondered many times recently just where it is and who is playing it.

I had done a lot of my own setup work on an inexpensive Ibenez A acoustic / electric that was my first mandolin when I discovered that I still could play guitar. (long story) The mandolin sat unused for extended periods of time and I had my eye on another guitar purchase that I 'had' to make, so I sold it. Well the guitar I bought I soon realized was a mistake and I missed terribly talk about sellers remorse! November I cured that by picking up my Eastman 515 and so all is better now.
    Blessings,
    Kip...

If you think you can or think you can't... you're likely right!

Eastman MD515, amid many guitars and a dulcimer.

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Stephen Sauvé in North Adams took a meh Michael Kelly F-4 and transformed it into an excellent mandolin. At one point I thought I wanted a big octave and traded it straight up. It was a fine octave...but I don't miss it. I sorta wish I had that F-4 around.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Frequently. But everything I've owned has been so low-level I feel embarrassed getting into the details after reading some of the stories on this thread. The most recent one was the best I've had, and I just shipped it out today ... an Eastman MD-505, sold 'cause I need the dough more. I swore -- shaking my fist towards the sky like Scarlett O'Hara at the end of Gone With the Wind, lol -- that one day I will have an even better one!

Reading the stories on this thread does somewhat relieve the pain.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

My Stiver too! Nut was narrow, but wow!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Did I ever regret selling a mandolin? Oh yeah. Traded, actually. 1934 Gibson A 1. (ff holes, not oval) essentially a very early A 50. Just a good sounding, playing all around kind of mandolin, with mojo to spare. I'm sorry I let it go.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

It seems like a lot of these regrets I'm reading have partly to do with the circumstances surrounding the sale of an instrument. Often a divorce or other financial setback is a motivating factor, or else some medical issue limiting one's ability to play. The negative context certainly contributes to the regret. I've had to sell my Eastman to help fund "Burning Mom," for instance. I'm not crying over it though, as it's a sacrifice I gladly make.

I am a little ashamed to confess that I have also smashed more than one instrument to bits in a fit of pique. Don't worry, none of them were valuable and all were close to unplayable (the main reason for the smashing.) Usually I salvage the fittings afterwards (tailpiece, tuners, bridge.)

I sold my Fylde to a good friend and everytime I hear him play it I regret selling it.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

A Martin A is used to have yes, the others, no.

I had stopped gigging full-time and the kids started coming along and we needed money for them. I had gone back to playing mostly guitar, so I decided to let the mandolins go.

I had a Monteleone Grand Artist that John had made for me, which is currently for sale at Carter's, and a second Grand Artist with an oval-hole, a 15-fret neck and an elevated fingerboard. Back in 1982, I'd never seen a mandolin like it, and even now, 15-fret ovals, sometimes called 'hybrids,' are fairly scarce. I'm not sure if John made any others like it, and if it's not one-of-a-kind it's certainly very rare. It also sounded like nothing I have heard before or since.

I sold it to a friend and we've kept in touch, so these are his photos. Selling it was the right thing to do at the time, and I'd do it again, but I sure do miss it, and I've been trying to find it's equal ever since.

It's still my favorite mandolin, yet, knowing how time and affection can exaggerate one's memories, I wish it didn't reside 1500 miles away because I'd love to play it again sometime to see if my Heiden Heritage Model F5 has now replaced it in my affections.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MonteleoneOvalFront1.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	317.9 KB 
ID:	143100 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MonteleoneOvalfrontclose.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	402.0 KB 
ID:	143101 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MonteleoneOvalBack1.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	286.4 KB 
ID:	143102

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I regret sell all of them tho none costing anywhere near as much as most in this thread. I have owned hundreds of instruments since i started playing music , Always seem to need money so i sell something, in the 90's i had a great jod traveling and i always bought an instrument in almost every city i worked. When i quit i had around 70 different instruments mostly guitars , all my friends thought i was crazy for buying so many. Well it ended up they all blew thier money on partying and i had bought instruments so when we all quit working for that company they where broke but i had way too many instruments i've sold alot of them since but I am again getting too many instruments i'm close to 60 , i just sold a guitar body last week that i took the neck off and made a body for it and miss it already. In the long run i have had the pleasure of owning and playing some great some not so great instruments and will end up selling and regretting and buy many more , i hope
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

I sold an Epi this last year on ebay and now I kind of wished I had kept it. It was an F style I bought from Guitar Center after I gave away a Johnson mandolin to one of my kids. The Johnson was my first in 2004 when I thought I would branch out and try another instrument after playing the Guitar for a number of years. All in all though I haven't owned many instruments. I never saw the sense in having instruments in the closet that never get played. My current inventory is a Casio keyboard, Alvarez dreadnought, Breedlove Crossover, a cheap uke, a Trombone, and a guitar I will probably never part with. It's a Hopf that my father bought in 1955 in Munich Germany. He taught me my first guitar chords in the sixties on that one back when we lived in Kansas City and were poorer than church mice. The bridge fell off, and the wood cracked on it, so I did some repair work and got it playable again. I play it when my fingers are sore after playing three church services on Sunday and picking another three hours or so on Sunday evening with the Crossover or the Alvarez as it's easier on my finger tips! But yeah, I get it with the stories about letting instruments go to put food on the table, and relationships that go south....Been there done that. But if we didn't live the blues, we wouldn't be able to play them now would we? I always get a kick out of going to a club and seeing some fourteen year old boy singing a Delta blues song about lost love etc, and I'm thinking, kid you haven't been around long enough to even get the courage up to ask a girl out!

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

The only one I regret selling is my MT a few years ago. I didn't need to sell it so I'm not sure why I did....I think I felt guilty about having too many instruments, if you can believe that. Someday I'll get another one, but it will be an MT2.

The other regrets are not mandolins. I sold my '68 Rickenbacker 4001. It was a beautiful instrument. What was I thinking? Also my '68 SG. I had just gotten married, thought I was giving up gigging, and I needed the money. Sigh.
    Living’ in the Mitten

Hmmmmm all these posts regretting getting rid of a Stiver makes me think I should hang on to mine. I've been thinking of chucking it for a while....
    Amanda

-2007 Duff F5
    -2001 Stiver F5
    -Blueridge BR-40T Tenor Guitar
    -1923 Bacon Style-C Tenor Banjo

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

While I only regret selling the Martin A amongst my mandolins, I regret selling several guitars including a Manson Kingfisher, Guild D-25, Gibson J-45, Lakewood M-18, 1980's Flambeau (Japanese-made, Lowden-designed) and a Taylor T5. But you know how it is....!

Blog Entries

S e l l ??

What is this?
    1983 Flatiron 1N - Pancake/Army-Navy
    2011 Eastman MD-315 - F-style
    Rover RM-50B - A-style

2014 Satin Cherry, Gibson USA 120th Anniversary SGJ14
    Godin Guitars' Art & Lutherie "Spruce" 6-string dreadnought. Hand made in Canada.

Unicorn A model. Not high priced but great sounding instrument.
    Collings MF Sold to a friend for a Collings MF5 which was more refined and not as satisfying and no longer mine.
    Weber Vintage A Great instrument, much like the Unicorn but richer sound. Sold to buy an Gibson F4 sold to buy the Hester F4.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172