Thread: StreetSweeper

Any old place i lay my head, is home sweet home to me . . .

i hope this pic comes thru
    Folk You

oh and here's me
    Folk You

and my tenor.
    Folk You

OK here goes...
    #1 Gross
    #2 Cool
    #3 ?
    Jason Allen

Life ain't nothin' but a funny, funny riddle.

i dont care for the artwork either, but hey, beggers cant be choosers. for 80 years old the actions grat and it never goes out of tune.
    Folk You

Like all 3----COOL! BTW, I live in Yellow Springs, OH--we love those VW's! I just started playing tenor 'jo to reinforce my chording on mandocello--it's addicting!
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

Is it just me, or is the entire fingerboard of the ban)o covered in Mother of Pearl?

How come I can't see the pics and others can??
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Darryl...you may want to reconsider.

2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

ah ha....
    Forbidden
    You were denied access because:
    Access Blocked - This web site falls into the non-business related category. Attempts to access this site are logged. Please address concerns to the following email ID: 'Parsons,Internet Access'. Please include the specific URL, your GBU, and business justification for unblocking.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AIK_CE_1
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

Quote Originally Posted by (violmando @ Jan. 11 2005, 05:31)
    Like all 3----COOL! BTW, I live in Yellow Springs, OH--we love those VW's! I just started playing tenor 'jo to reinforce my chording on mandocello--it's addicting!
    thats funny dude. the banjo was given to me near yellow springs. i sold that bus a couple years back cus i blew it up again and was too hungry and disheartened and poor to build another motor. so i been hitchhikin since. so i was hitchin out of tenneseeheaded to yellowsprings actually to stay with a friend who was headed where i was headed. on the way i got picked up by this cat who noticed the banjolin. he told me about his banjo, so we went to his place to look at it. well he also had a '72 Toyota landcruiser that he was about to put on ebay, but ever since he took it to a mechanic it wouldnt run no more. he said running he could sell it for 5000 but now he was tryin to sel it for 2000. told me if i could fix the truck, he'd give me the banjo. i shouldnt have let him watch me fix the truck, cus it took 5 minutes for it to purr like a kitten and he almost didnt give me the banjo!!

and yes it is all mother of pearl. its a 1918 orchestrella made by gretsch. ivory tuners and nut. you know with those tuners, that tone ring, and all that mother of pearl, that thing would be a dream come true for a banjo builder. if any of yall can sell it for me for over 1000bux ill give ya 100. under 1000bux ill give ya 50.
    Folk You

Hey Violmando...I live right down the road from you...in Bowersville...thats just south of Jamestown...small world.

I'm really intrigued at that MOP fingerboard. Does it not get damaged when fretting? Any chance of a close-up photo?

Quote Originally Posted by (grandmainger @ Jan. 11 2005, 17:59)
    I'm really intrigued at that MOP fingerboard. Does it not get damaged when fretting? Any chance of a close-up photo?
    if you look close you can see some stress fractures in the mother of pearl. best way to get a close up is to download to pic to your paint program, and zoom in, its a pretty still shot so itll still be detailed up close. also keep in mind a tenor banjo is a slower instrument, your not really hammering on it like you would a mando, or electric guitar, its more of a finnesse instrument. lemme check to see if i have a close up.
    Folk You

all i got kids
    Folk You

I believe your tenor banjo fingerboard & peghead are pearloid or MOTS(mother-of-toilet seat) not MOP(mother-of-pearl).

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by (NorthStar @ Jan. 11 2005, 18:22)
    I believe your tenor banjo fingerboard & peghead are pearloid or MOTS(mother-of-toilet seat) not MOP(mother-of-pearl).

#Paul
    interesting that in 1918 they would use an ivory nut and tuners and toilet seat. i always thought better of gretsch but ive been known to be wrong before. by the way, when was pearloid invented?
    Folk You

#1 Whad, ya take that banjo to the carnival and put it on the "spin-art" twirleymajig?

#2 Banjo-hunk candidate

#3 Looks like a banjo-tambourine combination!

All very cool!

i am by no means an artist . . .
    that being said, no, i also did not do the "artwork"
    it seems to me that the original artwork on it was like when you were in pre-school, and your teacher had you drop ink an a piece of paper and blow on it with a straw. then when it fell into hippie hands it looks like a yin-yang was added with a sharpe. then it fell into my hands. i can never get the nice stuff. even that bus i had to learn how to welde, do body work, build motors and axels, and rewire, reseal . . .etc. i think the only thing i didnt rebuild on that thing was the . . .uh . . . no i did that too. oh well a lil slice of my world.
    Folk You

Hey! I think your banjo's are way cool... I hope that you did not wrongly interpret my post (above.)