Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elvis Costello and Mike Compton

Default Elvis Costello and Mike Compton

Mike Compton will be touring with Elvis Costello in June. I guess TBone Burnett produced an album of Elvis playing with Mike, Jerry Douglas, and some other Nashville cats. I plan to catch their show at the Telluride BG Festival in June.

Default Re: Elvis Costello and Mike Compton

Sure hope it's better than the David Lee Roth thing from a couple of years ago.

Blog Entries

I have faith it would be a great show. I'll keep an eye out for it in Philly.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

David Lee Roth is not exactly in the same league as Elvis.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    David Lee Roth is not exactly in the same league as Elvis.
    Totally, he looks way better in spandex.
    Heiden F-5 #110
    GMC Terrain VIN 2GTEC13Z871107423
    2007 Tempurpedic mattress
    $1.35 in assorted change

Elvis' wife certainly does......

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

John Reischman told me that he ran into Elvis on a ferry boat up there in British Columbia and that he struck up a conversation with him. John said Elvis was very down to earth and personable and that he was very interested in bluegrass music. John said he gave Elvis a copy of one of the Jaybirds CD's.

I also note that Elvis appears on at least one the tracks on the new Charlie Haden CD, which is country/bluegrass. So to hear that he would tour with Mike Compton makes perfect sense.

Good onya Elvis!
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/php...php?f=2&t=7561

Here's a snippet from his fan base page.
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

Here's some info on his new album coming out on June 2nd.

http://elviscostello.com/news/journal.php

This has got the possibilty of being pretty good. Jerry Douglas (dobro), Stuart Duncan (fiddle), Mike Compton (mandolin), Jeff Taylor (accordion) and Dennis Crouch (double bass), are among the musicians. Jim Lauderdale sings the primary harmony and Emmylou Harris sings harmony on one song.

Elvis has been a country fan all his life and if you've ever heard the "Almost Blue album you know the boy can sing it pretty well. His rendition of "Good Year For The Roses" is better than George Jones's IMO. I'm looking forward to see what he can do in the string band genre.
    GVD

Blog Entries

It's good stuff. Mike told me about this project a few months ago and it's one I definitely want to see. Local college radio station is already playing the single from the album--sounds real good. I've always loved Costello, so hearing Mike in that context is a treat. And, frankly, anything TBone Burnett touches is golden.

Elvis for sure is the real deal, and I agree AStern, his wife ain't too shabby either. Both very talented. Thanks for the headsup.

reminds me of Costello at Merlefest a few years ago ('07)... Main stage, was it Friday night? Must have been because Tony Rice and Allison Krause must have done The Saturday Big Show... Costello was a weird fit, to my thinking, at first. He started by himself with a big Gibson John Lennon (?) doing these sentimental, wordy, ironic songs. Not exactly what I expected, but... Anyways, he kept on bringing out musicians, one at a time, and by the end of his set, he just blew the top off the place... It was awesome.

Blog Entries

Mike's discombobulated because he has to use a DI box. I feel his pain. Check out the Elvis' website for the tour. Great Southern gothic. Look forward to seeing Mike in T'ride during the usual eclectic festival. If I can buy you a Fat Tire, Don, or any of the rest of you, give me a holler. We're staying in town with a gaggle of musicians. 563-940-0508 -- call or text.

I'm catching the tour here in Raleigh (OK, Cary) NC in a few weeks. Can't wait! Elvis has huge respect for all sorts of American music traditions, from Chet Baker to Burt Bacharach (they made some killer records), to say nothing of some avant garde classical stuff. I'm sure it will be more than interesting.

Elvis, Mike Compton, Jerry Douglas, Stuart Duncan and the rest of the Sugarcanes are scheduled to appear on The Late Show with David Letterman on June 4th. I imagine they'll be doing something from the new album, which should be worthy of an extra cup of coffee Friday morning.

Hey Geno,

Thanks for the tip! I'm staying up. The new album is out; I just downloaded it today on iTunes and got the booklet and everything. It's great to hear Compton in a different setting like this. Great Costello songs as always.

Don

I am going to the show here in Nashvegas. My seats are in the second row and I think I have an extra ticket...anybody want to join us? Remember, Elvis is my favorite musician ( well, second favorite!) and Butch and I had a great experience meeting him last year. I need to find that photo in the bracelet shots.

Compton says he's not on the Letterman show Thursday with Elvis if it's a new one, but I guess I'll stay up anyway. Compton says he will be on the Tonight Show with Elvis on the 23rd of June.

Hi, I'm going to Tellurude with two Czech friends - mandolin players - Martin Krajicek (http://www.myspace.com/martinkrajicek) and Miroslav Vana (http://www.myspace.com/vanamandolins) so we will luckily catch the show there : -)

This show is a blast!!! Tremendous performances from Duncan, Mike Compton has some wonderful, complimentary picking, and Jerry Douglas IS the man. And Elvis just kept singing one great tune after another - the encore alone was about 6 tunes!

Go if you can.

Blog Entries

I've always been a fan of Elvis C. and this is one of his best albums in a long time. The album is pure genius and Mike, Duncan, Douglas, et al are gravy on the potatoes. Excellent excellent album.

I'm going to catch them in Dayton in August. Out of curiosity, are they doing any of Elvis' old stuff like Allison or Red Shoes? It'll be a blast to hear Compton playing on Pump It Up!

To bad Elvis lost his voice. If you watched his TV show everytime he opens his mouth it strained and off key. He mad a mess of Lou Reeds peformance. I live in Vancouver and will not pay to see Elvis. Er..... Mike Compton that's another thing.

<To bad Elvis lost his voice. If you watched his TV show everytime he opens his mouth it strained and off key.>

How would you know? I thought you were tone deaf.

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

[QUOTE=mandolirius;679236How would you know? I thought you were tone deaf.[/QUOTE]

Touche. Response?

Quote Originally Posted by JimRichter View Post
    Out of curiosity, are they doing any of Elvis' old stuff like Allison or Red Shoes? It'll be a blast to hear Compton playing on Pump It Up!
    No Pump it Up (classic!), but LOTS of oldies: Everyday I Write the Book, Brilliant Mistake, Blame it on Cain, and the encore included Red Shoes, Alison, AND Peace Love and Understanding.

helluva show