Thread: What do you think about quilted backs.

Default What do you think about quilted backs.

I really like them. What are your guys opinion

Default Re: What do you think about quilted backs.

I couldn't care less. The audience can't see it and it doesn't make it sound any better.

Blog Entries

I've seen some very nice ones. IIRC, the quilted woods may be more challenging for a builder to carve than regular flamed or unfigured maple. But, I might be mistaken. I like the quilted and birdseye maples as an alternative to the flamed maple you normally see. The quilts definitely have that Rorschach feeling though.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    I couldn't care less. The audience can't see it and it doesn't make it sound any better.

Well, it's not really about the audience, is it? When you get into the kinds of dollar amounts high-end mandolins go for, most people want to have something that is truly a thing of beauty. You could have any old furniture, but people love nice carving, striking wood figure etc. Personally, I'd much rather have a lovely antique dresser than some piece of plywood from Ikea.

Speaking of quilted, Check this out. http://cgi.ebay.com/5A-AWESOME-QUILT...3A9%7C294%3A50
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mandolirius View Post
    Well, it's not really about the audience, is it? When you get into the kinds of dollar amounts high-end mandolins go for, most people want to have something that is truly a thing of beauty. You could have any old furniture, but people love nice carving, striking wood figure etc. Personally, I'd much rather have a lovely antique dresser than some piece of plywood from Ikea.
    Well, fair enough - I'm certainly not averse to a great looking and sounding mandolin, in fact I like them a lot. I'm just saying that for me, because I'm rather vain, a part of what I like about a mandolin is how cool it looks to the audience, and a big part is how awesome it sounds when played. And the bit of the mandolin that only my belly could see (if it had eyes) doesn't interest me at all.

On the other hand, I do own quite a lot of Ikea furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Speaking of quilted, Check this out. http://cgi.ebay.com/5A-AWESOME-QUILT...3A9%7C294%3A50
    Wow, just Wow!

I love quilts, but it doesn't get any better than a one piece curly maple back like this http://www.mandolincentral.com/06duff.html

Quilt does not do anything for sound. I feel that it, and birdseye degrades the sound of a mandolin. But, it seems to get the ohhh's and ahhh's when people see it. Also depends on the builder, I personally dont like to carve it either. When its time to finish birdseye, it like trying to spray lacquer a sponge.

I think that wood is one of the most beautiful natural materials on earth & i love it in all it's aspects,from a plain,straight Mahogany grain, to the most awesome quilted Maple. Burr Walnut has to be one of my very favourites though. Re.Mandolins,personally,i prefer a 2-piece flamed Maple back.The back & sides on my Lebeda looks like the semi-precious stone 'tiger's eye' seen in the right light - it just glows - 'simply' beautiful,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Musical Photo Junkie Chris Keth's Avatar

I guess I wouldn't turn it down on a great sounding mando. I don't really care much for the look, though.

Seems liked quilted backs are sure less common than "fiddleback", "tiger striped" or "flamed maple" backs or whatever you want to call it. This back was on an 80s KM 850 of all things.

As I understand it from talking with luthiers, quilted maple can be softer and produce a warmer tone. I owned a fabulous Lawrence Smart 2 point that exhibited this trait. I've also owned a birdseye backed F5 by Steve Gilchrist that was extremely hard maple and was on the bright side tonally. Based on my personal experience, I'm thinking figure can influence the hardness of the wood and the resulting tone of the instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by SternART View Post
    As I understand it from talking with luthiers, quilted maple can be softer and produce a warmer tone.
    Well, it can be. But that is not always the case. Quilted can be very hard or heavy, or soft as hell....
    Just like any other chunk of Bigleaf...

Quote Originally Posted by SternART View Post
    I've also owned a birdseye backed F5 by Steve Gilchrist that was extremely hard maple and was on the bright side tonally. Based on my personal experience, I'm thinking figure can influence the hardness of the wood and the resulting tone of the instrument.
    OK, birdseye is always hard and heavy, as it only occurs in Acer saccharum, the sugar maple....

So-ooo, true birdseye does influence the tone, especially if it's hard and heavy maple you are after....

Although I admire the looks of fancy quilting, tiger-stripe, birdseye, and other figured wood, I can't help but note that the best-sounding mandolins don't have the fanciest-looking woods. (By all means, show me that I'm wrong!). Loars and other instruments of reknown seem to have, at most, a bit of flame. So I think if I was commissioning a new instrument, I'd let the luthier find the most resonant tonewoods, not the fanciest-looking.
    Dan P,
    Victoria, BC

It makes perfect sense that quilt would give you a warm sound.

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    It makes perfect sense that quilt would give you a warm sound.

[QUOTE=shawn9106;666520]I really like them. What are your guys opinion

If it were not against God's own natural law, I'd have taken a quilted maple back mandolin to be my wife.

Blog Entries

Paul, TMI. And I hope your wife doesn't read the Café or your quilted backed mandolin may go el-kabong on your head.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

When I hear "quilt" in regards to a mandolin back my mind always first turns to Driftwood/Poe. Those are my favorite quilted backs that I've ever seen.

What do you think about quilted backs?

Prefer crocheted, myself.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Paul F, that's really funny!:

"If it were not against God's own natural law, I'd have taken a quilted maple back mandolin to be my wife."

don't know about how it affects sound but i love the look.

I must be weird because that piece of maple on eBay is grotesquely ugly to me. I don't like most quilted maple that have ever seen.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

Quote Originally Posted by GTG View Post
    Loars and other instruments of reknown seem to have, at most, a bit of flame.
    Huh??

There are Loars that are underwhelming flame-wise...

But a good chunk of them sport highly-figured woods on the back and sides.....