Thread: K&K twin pickup

Registered User Matt Hutchinson's Avatar

Default K&K twin pickup

Hi,

I'm using a K&K twin (internal) pickup on my Flatiron A. One of the transducers keeps coming unstuck, has anyone had any success with attaching them using anything other than the tape provided??

Cheers,

Matt

Default Re: K&K twin pickup

super glue gel

cheers

Hi Matt,
    You can use the 3M Permanent double sided tape, too. I would suggest that whatever you use, you clean the pickup and the gluing area before resticking.
    Once a pickup has come unstuck, it is likely that dust has gotten into the tape residue on the wood and the pickup and nothing will stick as well in the same location without cleaning it thoroughly. Naptha works great and won't damage the finish if you happen to be a messy worker.

fwiw, I am not a big fan of supergluing pickups on because when they are removed, they can pull out splinters of the top.

I assume you are mounting internally?
    Austin Clark
    http://www.clarkmandolins.com

Clark Mandolins on Facebook

@scrollenvy on Instagram

Hi Austin,

I am, makes it tricky as it's an F hole instrument and I have big fingers!

Thanks for the advice

Matt

maybe internal- external mix, each sensor/transducer, inside an F hole, wiring to carpenter jack,
    so you wont knock the sensor off because its inside, but still would come off, if needed.

For those who missed it, or are new, previously mentioned, Tapastring company has a tapered end pin incorporating an 1/8" jack.
    for adding an internal pickup without altering the tapered end block of your collectible.
    and some quality cables to use with it, ..

so keeping your pickup, and selling the mandolin can, later, take place.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Thanks guys, I went with the double sided tape in the end & it works a treat. I can just get my fingers into the f holes to stick it down! I've got a gig tonight so let's hope it holds up

Cheers,

Matt

My Gibson A5G has a K+K "Twinspot Internal" installed with superglue (by a luthier). It works perfectly (almost no feedback problems, at low to moderate volumes) and sounds pretty well (maybe a little too strong in the low mids). I like it better than the Schertler.

But Dieter from K+K recommends the new "Mandolin Twin Internal". He also recommends the tape mounting (with to layers of tape to damp the very sensitive pickup a little). The "Mandolin Twin Internal" is slightly bigger than the "Twinspot Internal".

So which pickup would you prefer (Mandolin Twin or Twinspot) and what mounting method? Is there a sound difference between superglue and tape? Which one sounds and works better?
    of

K&K has a great product. I have their K&K Pure western mini in my Martin 000-18GE. I love the way it works and installed per their recommendations. I would do the same for a mandolin. I would follow their recommendations.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Matt, How is the tape holding out? Not to mention your placement of the pickup through the sound hole, does it sound right?

Allan
    Allan Midgley

Quote Originally Posted by John Bertotti View Post
    K&K has a great product. I have their K&K Pure western mini in my Martin 000-18GE. I love the way it works and installed per their recommendations. I would do the same for a mandolin. I would follow their recommendations.
    Yes they are great. I use it (Pure western Mini) in my guitars too (e.g. my Martin HD18) and love it. But all my pickups are installed with superglue (all by luthiers). I trust Dieter's recommendations but (like the o.p.) I am very interested in first hand experiences (especially with the internal tape mounting).
    of