Thread: Newbie problem - string resonates when I lift finger

Default Newbie problem - string resonates when I lift finger

Hi, I am playing my mandolin again after a time away from it. One thing (of many!) that I am doing wrong is that when I lift my finger off just about any fret on the D string, I get an "echo" of D. For example, if I play an F, I hear a faint D as well after I release the string. Sorry for the imprecise explanation; I don't know the term for what I am describing. I'd appreciate any comments on what I am doing wrong and how I can correct it. Thanks!

Default Re: Newbie problem - string resonates when I lift finger

The best thing to do is probably not to worry- you're most likely the only one close enough to hear it. It might help to wash your hands You could leave your finger down until you need it again, that's the "classical" method. Really, the ghost is so much more quiet than what you're picking that it won't make a lot of difference. I sometimes have the problem of brushing the next higher string so I get a ghost "a" when releasing the "d". Lifting the finger straight up gently may help both of our problems.

jc

You might be pulling in on your finger instead of lifting straight off. In effect, you'd be struming the string a bit if you're doing this

Hmm, I'm wondering if your nut slots might not be cut deep enough. The extra tension due to this MIGHT cause your string to ring when you release a note. Do your fretted notes sound sharp on the first couple of frets?

Pete
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

Thanks, guys. I think I must be pulling to the side instead of lifting the finger off cleanly. Just another reason to practice, practice, practice!