Thread: Different Mandolin Voices ?

Default Different Mandolin Voices ?

I'm just beginning to play the mandolin, and I already want a better one.

The problem is where I live their are only starter kits.

I was looking to get an Eastman 505 but now I'm thinking of getting a used Collings MT..

I've read about the different voices a mando can have. ie. woody, treble, etc.

I like the sound this mando has:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s34xi...eature=related

How would you describe this mandolin voice in the video ?

My cheap mando doesn't sound like this or my instructor's mandolin.

But since I really like playing, I will save up for a nice mandolin.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
    Jose

Default Re: Different Mandolin Voices ?

If I had to, I'd describe it as pretty ordinary but it's impossible to judge the sound of any instrument from a youtube clip. Bear in mind that the sound of a mandolin also depends upon how its set up and who's playing it.

Eastman or Collings? Eastman make some good instruments but I've never been convinced by their consistency. Some of the cheaper ones sound better than the more expensive so you'd need to play it. Collings are much more consistent but also much more expensive.
    Ray

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    ... depends upon ... who's playing it.
    That is, whether the pick is held firmly or softly, and how the fingers, wrist, and/or elbow flex, and maybe changing from one note to the next. It's a skill that's difficult to describe, but it comes with experience. Also WHERE you pick along the string makes a difference, and is useful for providing contrasting "colors". Constantly having "the best" tone can get boring.

The pick itself has a huge effect. Light to medium guitar picks work great on guitar but can make a mando sound =relatively= tinny. Many BG players prefer heavier picks that emphasize the fundametal and minimize the overtones, while others may want the opposite.

As Ray T said: Good set-up is critical. For example, properly fitting the bridge to the top, a sore point for many economy models, can make a huge difference in sound. Many here on the Cafe are top luthiers, and will do such work by mail. Off the top of my head, look for posts by Big Joe's Guitar Works. Probably also Cafe supporters Janet Davis and The Mandolin Store.

My first and still most-played mando is a fairly cheap one, but I had the guitar experience to set it up myself. It sounds pretty good, or at least appropriate to my current level of mando expertise. Or lack thereof!

Keep in mind that ALL of us "already want a better one." Always will!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Don't be seduced by that sexy scroll on the Eastman. The Collings will probably serve you better and will have a better resale price if you decide to upgrade later.

I fear what you're hearing in this Youtube video is the combination of the mandolin in the REM recording with the live player, so it's not a realistic comparison.

If you go to themandolinstore.com you can hear some sound samples, but again these tend to tell you more about microphone technique than true objective sound quality -- though they seem to be the same player playing the same basic piece.

A Collings is a fine instrument, but will cost more than the Eastman... and some folks say they don't like the neck's v-shape on the board here. I haven't played one to know, but they tend to get rave reviews and look great.

It comes down to the type of music you like to play -- ethnic or classical vs. blues or bluegrass -- which requires more bite or "chop" to be heard in jams. All terms can be subjective -- in just what "woody," etc. means.

It comes down to the instrument you can afford, that makes you happy with your sound and its playability, and fulfills your image of yourself as a musician.

For example, an F style costs more and won't affect the sound either way, except that many of the better mandolins include the curl, yet many players would never consider a mandolin without one. There's no wrong answer.

My instructor had a mandolin by John Sullivan and it sounds and plays very nice.

This is the only experience I can draw upon at the present time.

I'm sure the Eastman or the Collings would be a very large step up from my Hohner...

I'm not aware of the "V" shaped neck, so it's stuff like this that makes it hard to buy site un-seen.

I'm in Lafyette, Louisiana and there are no retailers that have quality mandolins that I know of.

The Collings dealer doesn't even stock any Mandolins, but he'd order one quick if I wanted to buy one.

Right now I'm playing old rock & blues songs, I started playing notes & learning to read music but honestly that was boring...

Once my instructor taught me some chords and tabs, I really started playing. I went from playing once or twice a week for an hour to playing
    1 to 2 hours almost every day..

I'm doing a lot of reading on this message board and learning alot..

Thanks everyone,,,

Jose

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 250sc View Post
    Don't be seduced by that sexy scroll on the Eastman. The Collings will probably serve you better and will have a better resale price if you decide to upgrade later.
    The Eastman 505 he references is an "A" model with binding on the top but not the back. I got one a few months ago, and it's a fantastic deal. They do vary a little, so it's best to get to play it first. I just called The Mandolin Store when they got a big shipment of them in, and asked for the best sounding one. It's a really good sounding mandolin, and has good fit and finish and playability. Yep.