Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: South Memphis String Band

Default South Memphis String Band

I'm a music lover and am a big fan blues rock, The best stuff out there right now for me is the North Mississippi All Stars and The Black Crowes. Luther Dickinson of the NMA must like to be busy, he recently took on the lead guitar role for the BC's and now is starting up a band with a couple other other fabulous pluckers Jimbo Mathis and Alvin Youngblood Hart The South Memphis String Band. They're laying down sound sweet sounds that are Mandolin heavy and is a great listen.

The Gents are doing a small tour and will be recording an album later in the year. They just played a small club in NYC and sounded great. If you're looking to keep this music alive it's a great band to support.

Here's an abridged review (to comply with the 5 image max, I dropped out 4 pic's- all can be viewed here " http://thebluff.nmallstars.com/viewtopic.php?t=5525 ") I posted at the North Mississippi's All Star's The Bluff website with some pic's....

Sweet show, Great crowd, Better content. As a string lover it is especially enjoyable for me to watch and learn as talented players show their skills and that stage had plenty of skills on display. Hard to wipe that #### eating grin off. Dobro's Mandolin's, & a few Acoustic's were strummed in fine fashion. Alvin, Jimbo, & Luther swapped out instruments and occasionally stomped the floor for some percussion, Luther even gave a guitar case a foot thump for a song or two. Great stuff in a miniscule setting for these Gents, A joy to share the room on a rainy night in the village. Here's a few pic's, Jimbo's solo pic's didn't take well as he was bopping to a blur. I closed the set with a pic of my new baby, the ticket stub, and a menu the Gents were kind enough to sign after the show.

You can also do a youtube search and find a couple teaser video's of the South Memphis String Band in it's infancy, Thanx for supporting a fine brand of music, Keep it alive.

The Black Crowes just recently recorded music for a new disc to be released later this year. They recorded it at Levon Helm's Woodstock studio's and one of Mr. Helm's bandmates Larry Campbell played some mandolin and lap steel for the new disc. It's rumored to be a CD/DVD release and is also worth a listen. It's a rootsy blend of Rock,Blues, & Bluegrass that should be worth the time and money, Check them out if it's up your musical alley, Thanx & keep strummin' & thumbin'

Default Re: South Memphis String Band

The best time to get on a train is when she's pulling out of that 1st stop along the journey, It's rare to be blessed enough to be cognizant of when that is. Here's 3 respectable storied musicians who have united to form something special and their journey is in it's infancy or their train is just leaving the station, I hate to reply to my own post, but I feel it's a worthwhile cause to inform here.

These guys are playing music deep and rich with both history and tradition. I'm watching a DVD of the Joe's Pub show and it's an incredible offering, If you can get out to it, Ya gotta go, It's just something to keep an eye on and hopefully they ride it out for a few years, Luther is a true road warrior taveling North, South, & everything in the middle.... "North" Mississippi, "South" Memphis, & "The Crowes" that is. If it ain't your cup of tea, No problem, Just want folks to know what's out there.

Just to make it a little easier here's the limited start-up schedule & a Youtube search link. If life allows, take a browse.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ring+band&aq=f

Sadly the mini tour is just about done, Here's more info anyway, Sorry, but it doesn't change the fact that it's worthy of keeping an eye on.

LUTHER DICKINSON, ALVIN "YOUNGBLOOD" HART AND JIMBO MATHUS
    UNITE TO FORM THE SOUTH MEMPHIS STRING BAND, EMBARKS ON TOUR AHEAD OF RECORDING

South Memphis String Band
    The South Memphis String Band, a trio composed of Luther Dickinson (North Mississippi Allstars), Alvin "Youngblood" Hart (Grammy-winning bluesman) and Jimbo Mathus (Squirrel Nut Zippers), launches its first tour on April 23, 2009 in Dallas, Texas, targeting the East and South. The three friends, bound by Memphis and North Mississippi roots, will tour ahead of recording their debut album later this year. So far only two songs have been unveiled, both at the trio's MySpace page. So the April and May dates will be an opportunity for fans to get in on the ground floor.

Although they'd known each other for years, the trio's musical spirit gelled last year when they recorded a yet-unreleased album with Luther's father, legendary producer Jim Dickinson, called New Moon Jellyroll Freedom Rockers.

The South Memphis String Band was greatly influenced by the Mississippi Sheiks, Gus Cannon & the Memphis Jug Band and other string bands and jug bands of their ilk, as well as Mississippi Delta and Hill Country blues. They will travel with a passel of guitars, mandolins, banjos, lap steel guitars and harmonicas.

Mathus says, "Luther, Youngblood Hart and myself have been musical co-conspirators for over a decade. It is only fitting that we should come together with acoustic instruments and perform Mississippi music."

Tour Dates
    04/23/09 Thu Sons of Hermann Hall Dallas, TX
    04/24/09 Fri Antone's Austin, TX
    04/25/09 Sat Continental Club Houston, TX
    04/26/09 Sun The Parish @ House of Blues New Orleans, LA
    04/27/09 Mon WorkPlay Birmingham, AL
    04/28/09 Tue The Hummingbird Macon, GA
    04/29/09 Wed Eddie's Attic Decatur, GA
    04/30/09 Thu The Evening Muse Charlotte, NC
    05/01/09 Fri Carrboro Arts Center Carrboro, NC
    05/02/09 Sat Capital Ale House Richmond, VA
    05/03/09 Sun Rams Head On Stage Annapolis, MD
    05/05/09 Tue Joe's Pub New York, NY
    05/07/09 Thu Sellersville Theater 1894 Sellersville, PA
    05/08/09 Fri Birchmere Alexandria, VA
    05/09/09 Sat Otherlands Memphis, TN

http://www.myspace.com/southmemphisstringband

EDIT: I erred, the correct spelling is Mr. Mathus.

wannabe mandolin wizzard bluesmandolinman's Avatar

thanks fretsman for the hint to this band
    I checked the youtube videos and thats exactly my alley
    Carl Martin - Everyday I have the Blues

My gear : 1927 A0/Ajr , JM-11 , Fender 346 white XH

Alvin Youngblood Hart used to be out here in the SF Bay Area for awhile......Berkeley as I recall. I have a few of his CD's........he reminds me of a young Taj Mahal, who in fact plays on a cut or two on one of the CD's. I'm sure happy to see he has found some kindred spirits to collaborate with, sounds like "real deal" roots music!

Thanks - I'll be watching for this CD. I wish I'd known they were playing in Dallas a few weeks ago. Looks like I missed it.

Was one of those guys playing a National or a banjo-mandolin?
    You can't see your future in a rear view mirror.

Love these guys. Also, check out Corey Harris, Guy Davis, The Wiyos and Otis Taylor. All great acts in this same style. John

My son lives in New York and went to their show. He raved about it. My son also plays Mandolin and has played in a couple different roots style bands and says this is the goods.
    I picked up on Alvin Youngblood a couple years back and saw him at The Chicago Blues fest as a solo. I thought he was great. A Neo-Traditionalist, authentic & fresh. Couple Years before that I heard Otis Taylor At the Chicago Blues fest. He had a couple of players with him & Otis played Guitar, Banjo & an electric 4(5?) string Mandolin. Otis came out with "Recapturing the Banjo" a year or so ago. Alvin,Keb, Corey, Don Vappie are all in it. Good stuff. I'd like to hear the South Memphis Guys live.

Great stuff by all, I saw Mr. Hart open for the North Mississippi Allstars in NY's Highline Ballroom last year and he came out sitting on a stool solo surrounded half moon stytle by acoustics and resonators. It was awesome, kind of like a well rounded back porch updated blues, a Leadbelly/Mississippi John Hurt/Mance Lipscomb seance of sorts. He uptempo'ed with his own style (I don't want to box him in with my recollections) and it was stellar. He later came out with the NMA and Luther came out for a couple tunes during Alvin's opening set. I just love the breath of new life in an outstanding brand of music.

I intend a follow up of Jimbo Mathus too, He had the whole package also. The 3 traded singing songs and taking leads on whatever strings they held at the time. His band the Squirrel Nut Zippers will be throbbing my trucks speakers soon.

05/09/09 Sat Otherlands Memphis, TN

By chance anyone make this show, I read the venue got a good crowd.

this is so great no words can tell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HQ-4qE1R3Y

Great stuff, Carl!
    Mitch Russell

The Gents are very fan friendly and allow you to tape their shows for sharing and trading purposes only, they of course reserve all rights, but I video taped the 5/5 Joe's Pub show.

Sadly, I did the moment a major injustice by sitting back and enjoying the show while I left the video camera on auto pilot taping full stage. It could have been a better grab, but I was just engulfed in the music and watching them breathe life into the sound. I watch the hands as they play and pick up things, but I could have picked up and held onto so much more by zooming in at times and capturing the leads and vocals, It's a great performance by them and a mediocre one by me, Luther does some intrumental instructionals on some cable channel, I don't get it as I have expanded basic only, but I hear it's nice.

I stated the percussion of the occasional foot stomp sometimes on the seemingly mic'd case on the floor, and I think Jimbo had some kid of percusive jingle thing shoved in his boot for a tune, I'm not sure, but it also had the occasional NYC train whipping near by which brought a little Mississippi freight sound up north, Great night.

If the mod's don't mind I'll freebie 10 DVD's of the show to those who enjoy it.

Here's Jesse James from that 5/9 show.

I have a couple takers for the Joe's Pub 5/5/09 DVD, One was confused by my wording, It's just what it is, I taped the show with my video camera and transferred it to DVD, If you'd like a copy of the DVD for nothing but a PM with any mailing address you'd like it sent (home, biz, or P.O. box) it's yours, Thanx

I've sent out 6 DVD's of the 5/5 Joe's Pub show, 4 left. PM the addy, Thanx.

Thanks "so much" Fretsman!!! Enjoyed the show!

Quote Originally Posted by SternART View Post
    Thanks "so much" Fretsman!!! Enjoyed the show!
    Thank You!, I got them 3 mando books, Nice surprise, Mighty kind of you!

Offer closed, they went out from Alaska to Berlin and a couple spots in between, Thanx all, I hope you all dig them, Live Full.
    Live Full, Love Deep

Thanks Ron, I received my copy too.
    Glad to meet friendly people like you here on the cafe.

Here's a couple shows for the torrent savy, Thanx to the tapers and posters who put them on the NMA website......

http://bt.etree.org/index.php

Capital Ale House
    Richmond, VA
    May 2, 2009

Source: Neumann KM 184 > [BA TMod] FR-2LE [24/48]
    Transfer: CF Card > Audacity (fades, resample, dither) > CDWave > Flac
    Recorded by Drew Olsen

One Set:
    Disc One:

01 Intro
    02 Jesse James
    03 Dixie Darlin'
    04 Worry About Your Own Backyard
    05 Hard Travelin'
    06 Old Blue
    07 Your Better Make It To The Woods If You Can
    08 Some Of These Days I'll Be Gone
    09 John Henry
    10 Ben Dewberry's Final Run
    11 Come Go With Me
    12 Deep Blue Sea
    13 Things About Comin' My Way

Disc Two

01 Old Hen
    02 Let Your Light Shine On Me
    03 Voice Of A Porkchop
    04 Carrier Line
    05 Tallacatcha
    06 Crowd
    07 Who Will Sop My Gravy When I'm Dead And Gone
    08 Carroll County

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=524763
    ------------------------------------------
    04/30/09
    Evening Muse, Charlotte, NC

Source: DPA 4022 (8' from Stage, 7' up, DFC, ORTF) > Aerco MP-2 > Edirol R44 (24/4

Transfer: SDHC Card > PC > Wavelab 5 (Fades, Resampled via resampler 192, MBIT+ Dither) > CD Wave > Trader's Little Helper
    Taped and Transfered by: Brian Hadella <bhadella@taperssection.com>

Disc 1:
    One Set:

01. Intro
    02. Jesse James
    03. Dixie Darlin'
    04. Worry About Your Own Backyard
    05. Hard Travelin'
    06. Boogie
    07. You Better Make It To The Woods If You Can
    08. Some Of These Days
    09. John Henry
    10. Ben Dewberry's Final Run
    11. Things 'Bout Coming My Way
    12. Smokestack Lightnin'

Disc 2:
    Set 1 continued:

01. Adam & Eve
    02. Come Go With Me
    03. Titanic
    04. Who Will Sop My Gravy When I'm Dead And Gone
    05. Deep Blue Sea
    08. Old Hen
    09. Let It Shine On Me
    10. Tallacatcha
    Live Full, Love Deep

This is directly up my alley as well,

thanks

Mike

The band has been tied up with life issues and I don't think there's much happening concerning their SMSB project, but I bumped into a cool video of Jimbo and his wife I found entertaining.

Live Full, Love Deep

Wow. I can't believe I am just hearing about this band, but I'm certainly glad i did. I downloaded their 5/3/09 show via bittorrent a couple days ago and haven't stopped yet. It's about exactly what I'm looking for lately to listen to, as I'm trying to work on my mando blues chops. This is definitely going to be a fun "play along" show as I practice.

I'm a big fan of Luther's band NMAS, as was lucky enough to see them tour w/ Alvin Youngblood Hart a while back, but this South Memphis String Band stuff is great. Thanks for bumping this thread. If anyone else is torrent savvy, and interested in the 5/3 show you can find it here:
    http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=527944

There's 2 seeds open right now. If you try to grab it and there are no seeds, please let me know and I'll seed it for you.

Paul

I just got the audio from the Joe's Pub show, Great sound grab of a nice show. Intimate respectful yet enamored crowd, Thanx to T-bone in NYC. If you're interested in a listen I'll freebie 10 copies of the 2 disc show out to the 1st 10 to to PM me the addresses of their choosing, Thanx
    Live Full, Love Deep

A Gent uploaded this for your listening enjoyment and can be found here...

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=530267

I'll still offer via snail mail for the less tech savy, I received a PM asking if I would send one out to Australia and there's no limitations, Full global offer. I like the music, It gives me a playing direction, The 3 Gent's rotated their instruments in an intimate setting, Tributary to the history, It's worth an ear.

2009-05-05
    Joe's Pub
    New York, NY

Source: B&K 4021 > EAA PSP3 > PMD 620
    Lineage: CDR(?) > EAC > WAV > FLAC(6)
    Recorded/transferred by: Todd Hinden

Disc 1:

01. Jesse James
    02. Dixie Darlin'
    03. Worry About Your Own Backyard
    04. Adam and Eve
    05. Old Blue
    06. Bootleggers Blues
    07. Some Of These Days I'll Be Gone
    08. John Henry
    09. Ben Dewberry's Final Run
    10. Come Go With Me
    11. Deep Blue Sea
    12. Things 'Bout Comin' My Way

Disc 2:

01. Carrier Line
    02. Instrumental...(possibly some Barnyard Psychedelia?)
    03. Old Hen > Let Your Light Shine On Me

Encore:
    04. Tallacatcha

South Memphis String Band:

Alvin Youngblood Hart
    Jimbo Mathus
    Luther Dickinson
    Live Full, Love Deep

Found an info blurb on another site.....

SOUTH MEMPHIS STRING BAND'S HOME SWEET HOME OUT JANUARY 19

As the free world teeters once again on the terrifying brink of depression, return with us now to those bygone days of yesteryear and lose your troubles in the timeless songs of the South Memphis String Band. Three young contemporary blues artists, each in his own right, a rising star. Three modern Mississippi musicians on a knight’s quest to retrieve, preserve, and carry into the future America’s most unique and meaningful musical statement.
    Jim Dickinson (1941 – 2009)
    When Luther Dickinson, Alvin Youngblood Hart and Jimbo Mathus got together to make music, it certainly wasn’t out of commercial consideration. This troika of roots-imbued musical pros coalesced through a shared vision and consuming passion for the music of their forebears, most notably the Mississippi Sheiks, Memphis Jug Band, Gus Cannon’s Jug Stompers and other practitioners of pre-blues era roots sounds
    Home Sweet Home, their first album, out on Memphis International January 19th, showcases their passion for the old timey tradition that is underscored by the group’s name: South Memphis String Band. South Memphis, of course, is that rough and tumble area of the Bluff City extending from downtown to the Mississippi border, and beyond. It’s where Stax Records as well as, literally, hundreds of churches thrived. The sacred and profane, holy rolling and dice rolling, were cheek by jowl in old South Memphis and its modern day namesake reflects that ecumenicism quite brilliantly. For Luther, Alvin and Jimbo, South Memphis is more of a musical state of mind than a specific geographical location.

They’ve been called a “regional roots music supergroup” but the alliance of Dickinson (from the North Mississippi Allstars and, of late, the Black Crowes), Hart (the Grammy winner who is as equally adept at thrash rock as he is at country blues) and Mathus (of the Squirrel Nut Zippers) is more like three good friends just putting it down in a very traditional way. Mathus explained, “Luther, Youngblood Hart and myself have been musical co-conspirators for over a decade. It is only fitting that we should come together with acoustic instruments and perform Mississippi music.”

Michael Hoinski, writing in the Austin American-Statesman witnessed what’s so special about SMSB at a recent performance noting, “The American experience is the main unifier of this slap happy yet sureshot trio… Each player is principally a bluesman but also well-schooled in country, folk and gospel.”
    When asked about the subject matter of SMSB’s repertoire, Alvin responds without hesitation, "Natural disasters, bushwackers, train songs…” Home Sweet Home’s tune stack with songs identified with Gus Cannon, Blind Willie Johnson, The Mississippi Sheiks, Carter Family underscores that thought with titles like “Jesse James,” “Bootlegger's Blues,” and “Bloody Bill.” The latter song, along with “Worry 'bout Your Own Backyard” is an original but is reflective of the old timey ethos that, thanks to the Luther, Alvin and Jimbo, continues. Whether you hold a degree in ethnomusicologist or are just a person who is moved by authentic acoustic American music, Home Sweet Home speaks your language, in beautifully measured tones. As Jimbo notes, “We decided the South Memphis String Band will never be in a hurry.”

Home Sweet Home tracklisting

1. Jesse James
    2. Deep Blue Sea
    3. Old Hen (3:23) - Gus Cannon
    4. Worry 'bout Your Own Backyard
    5. Things Is ‘bout Coming My Way
    6. Let Your Light Shine On Me
    7. The Carrier Line
    8. Bloody Bill
    9. Eighteen Hammers
    10. Bootlegger's Blues
    11. Dixie Darling
    12. Home Sweet Home

Produced by The South Memphis String Band and Bill Wax

Recorded by Jackson MacInnis and Michael Taylor at Sirius/XM Performance Studio, Washington DC

Additional recording and mixing by Justin Showah and Winn McElroy at Delta recording Service, Como, MIssissippi

Mastered by Larry and Kevin Nix at Ardent Studios, Memphis, Tennessee
    Live Full, Love Deep

Offer closed...... Bigtuna & Stevebousum, I'll have those out to you soon, Thanx
    Live Full, Love Deep