Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new Arches flattops

Default Re: new Arches flattops

My Arches flat top (zebrawood) arrived this week!
    I've really enjoyed playing it so far; this is my first mandolin, so I don't have a lot to compare to, though I have played the fiddle for a few years and been a musician for a long time.

The Good: This thing is beautiful! The fit and finish are great, the zebrawood looks awesome, the whole thing is designed and made very well. I'm a designer by profession, so I really appreciate that. It also sounds really nice: it's got great sustain, and a really smooth, bright tone. It rings forever. To me, it sounds loud, but I haven't had anyone play it for me yet, so I don't know what it sounds like from across the room. Chords sound good but melody lines sound great...my impression so far is that it shines on melody lines, as the sustain makes fast chords run into each other a bit. I'm not going to be a good judge of playability at this point; I'm such a beginner that I can't tell what counts as good playability up the neck, etc., although the action is low and it seems easy to get a good sound out of it.

The Questionable: I say "questionable" because I think these issues are more of a personal preference rather than anything bad about this mandolin. First, it's very glossy, and as it turns out, I think I prefer a more satin/matte finish. Second, it is very light and a bit smaller than your standard arch-top. That's throwing me off because the neck/headstock is noticeably heavier than the body. I originally had Chris install a strap button to keep the strap out of the way of the fretboard, but now I've tied the strap around the headstock anyway to help balance it better. Finally, it was the prototype model for these new flat tops, so it has a different headstock, binding, and rosette, and no label inside. This doesn't bother me per se, and I think it's cool that I have a one of a kind instrument, but I still wish it had a label.

Overall, I'm glad I ordered this mando. I have one day left on the trial period and I'll probably keep it. I decided when I ordered that I would get a couple of different instruments, play them over the summer, keep the one I like the best and sell the other, because I want to be able to play them side by side. So this is mando number 1. I am also looking into another flat top and an a-style arch-top with f holes. I do plan on having one flat top oval hole and one arch-top f-hole when all is said and done. (I firmly believe in having 2 of each type of instrument I play, having been stuck without one before while it was in for repairs, as long as finances allow...)

Obligatory MP3 Sample: see attached, or follow this link:
    http://www.hangoutstorage.com/fiddle...8132052009.mp3
    Apologies for my *really* amateur playing; this is literally the first tune I have ever learned on the mandolin, and I taught myself, based on my fiddle knowledge and working through the first couple of chapters of Beginning Mandolin by Greg Horne. But I think you can hear what a smooth sound it has, and how long the sustain is.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

Hey Gianna,

Congratulations on the mando and thanks for the report!

The two I've had, from Chris's earlier generation of them, were (are) loud compared to a lot of other mandolins. The first one I had didn't come with a cast tailpiece, so I put on an Allen tailpiece and it helped the balance with the headstock. I got an armrest for it, the kind with the adjustable clamp, and that helped me to grip it with my right arm and kept me from having to
    hold it in place at all with my left. And, I just always use a strap, so that helps me keep it stable and keep the left hand free.

Have you asked Chris for a label? Certainly he'd make one for you...

Enjoy, and thanks,

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

Thanks for that update Gianna - do keep us posted on your ongoing impressions of it as you get to know it better.

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Hi, Gianna,

First off, Congrats' on your first mando! While I can understand your concerns re: being a little neck heavy, and the finish. I believe you will come to appreciate it a bit more as you play it, and a few more mandos' to compare.

I also had Chris put a strap button on mine. I kinda like how it helps balance it a little bit more. I definitely don't like attaching the strap at the headstock. You can adjust the strap length to help with the balance. Then again, being a bassist, I am somewhat used to instruments being more neck heavy than most.

Steve, using a nice, weighty, cast tailpiece sounds like a great idea to help balance it out a bit more. I just might try that.

I've had a chance to take mine to a few seisiuns, and I have to say I am very impressed with the SPL this little guy can pump out. It's volume knob goes up to 11! Definitely a few more notches than my 2 pointer, and F4. It certainly has it's own tonal characteristics as well. Very bright, and distinct.

My F4 is still my gem, but this little Flat Top will be my "Go To" mando for large seisiuns.

Enjoy your new mando Gianna. It will grow on ya'!

I got the bubinga one.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sliabhstv View Post
    I put on an Allen tailpiece and it helped the balance with the headstock. I got an armrest for it, the kind with the adjustable clamp, and that helped me to grip it with my right arm and kept me from having to hold it in place at all with my left. And, I just always use a strap, so that helps me keep it stable and keep the left hand free.

Have you asked Chris for a label? Certainly he'd make one for you...
    stv
    All good ideas! Thanks for the suggestions - I think I'll have to hold off on the tailpiece for now, but I will use a strap and definitely ask about the label.

Quote Originally Posted by arcopizz View Post
    I believe you will come to appreciate it a bit more as you play it, and a few more mandos' to compare.

Enjoy your new mando Gianna. It will grow on ya'!
    Thanks Gerry! I am playing it a ton, so that's a good sign
    I already appreciate it...I think it just needs to settle in a bit. I can't wait to take it out and play it with other people over Memorial Day weekend!!

Quote Originally Posted by instrumentality View Post
    Thanks Gerry! I am playing it a ton, so that's a good sign
    I already appreciate it...I think it just needs to settle in a bit. I can't wait to take it out and play it with other people over Memorial Day weekend!!
    You Go, Girl!

Mine seems to have something new to tell me just about every time I take it outta the case.

Ok, I finally caught up to the rest of you. My mahognay model arrived today!

Quote Originally Posted by mandolirius View Post
    Ok, I finally caught up to the rest of you. My mahognay model arrived today!
    come on...you have to tell us more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by instrumentality View Post
    come on...you have to tell us more than that.

Patience, patience. It literally just arrived. I'm letting it aclimatize a bit. More to follow, I promise. I can say it looks great, the neck is quite comfortable. Mine has a McIntyre Feather installed. I forgot to ask Chris to put on a strap button, so I'll have to get that taken care of. I also find the case doesn't fit very well, so I may have to make some adaptations to it.

Patience, patience. It literally just arrived. I'm letting it aclimatize a bit. More to follow, I promise. I can say it looks great, the neck is quite comfortable. Mine has a McIntyre Feather installed. I forgot to ask Chris to put on a strap button, so I'll have to get that taken care of. I also find the case doesn't fit very well, so I may have to make some adaptations to it.
    Yes! More please....

You know, you reminded me of about the only thing I could really complain about on this deal: The case. Mine is way too big. He told me he got a good deal on them. Oh well, I guess I shouldn't complain. It seems most times you have to pay extra for the case these days. These seem to be sized for an A model Mandola.

I was invited to sit in for the last set of the Paddy Keenan show this evening and brought my new little Flat Top up with me. It was just Paddy, a guitar, another whistle, and another mando player. The Arches held it's own just fine!

You got to sit in with Paddy Keenan?! That rocks!

Cheers,
    Jill
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Quote Originally Posted by arcopizz View Post
    I was invited to sit in for the last set of the Paddy Keenan show this evening and brought my new little Flat Top up with me. It was just Paddy, a guitar, another whistle, and another mando player. The Arches held it's own just fine!
    That's good to hear. I haven't had a chance to play mine with anyone else yet. So far I like it pretty well. I don't like the strings that it came with. I'll put a set of GHS Silk & Steel on it and mess with the action a bit. It's kind of high now. What kind of strings have you folks put on yours? I'm thinking of trying something like the Jazz set from Ted E.

I'm getting used to the neck. It seems like it's a compound radius that pretty much goes to flat down below the fifth fret. I've never played a flat board and they always feel a bit strange to me.

I like the balance, not too bassy or trebly. It's got that new instrument stiffness to it. It'll be fun breaking it in. It looks great, too! It's a simple little mando, but it has very elegant lines. It's really pretty.

I modified my case with a piece of stiff foam but really, I hate it. I have a Floodtone that I'll be selling that doesn't have a case so I think I'll put it in this case and look for something that fits the Arches better. Any ideas?

I wonder would the Arches fit into the shaped A case that Weber sells for their flat top mandolins? They list those at $150 on the Sound to Earth website - I have one for my Aspen, nice case.

Cheers,
    Jill
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

This is a little crazy, but I have an Eastman F Style Plastic Shell case for one of my other mandos. I tried this Flat Top in it and it fits! It's not a custom fit, but it has padding in all the right places to keep the mando from moving around in it when closed.

Side note: I guess it's regular practice for Paddy to invite up the local musicians that are in the audience at his shows. I didn't know this at first, but had the chance to chat with him before the show and he asked me if I was going to get up with him. I only live 10 minutes from the venue, so ran home and grabbed the Flat Top. It was a blast! If you ever get the chance to hear him play make sure to bring along a mandolin.
    Last edited by Gerry Cassidy; May-24-2009 at 7:16am.

So far I like it pretty well. I don't like the strings that it came with. I'll put a set of GHS Silk & Steel on it and mess with the action a bit. It's kind of high now. What kind of strings have you folks put on yours? I'm thinking of trying something like the Jazz set from Ted E.

I'm getting used to the neck.

I like the balance, not too bassy or trebly. It's got that new instrument stiffness to it. It'll be fun breaking it in. It looks great, too! It's a simple little mando, but it has very elegant lines. It's really pretty.
    You pretty much captured my impressions, after playing it a bunch this weekend. I got a chance to A/B it against a Rosewood Big Muddy last night. The Big Muddy was more played in. They have about the same volume under the ear and from a couple feet away, but the Arches projects and rings out more. It sounds brighter and really rings on the A and E strings - not sure how much of this is the difference between the brands vs. the difference between the woods, but it's noticeable and nice.

Right now, I'm getting some buzzing on the G string when I fret it. Could be my beginner's hands, or something else. Action? Would strings affect this? I also played someone's arch-top Kentucky (KM630? or something like that) and it didn't have the same feel at all. The obvious differences between arch-tops and flat-tops, yes, but the Kentucky actually seemed easier to fret on the D and G strings.

BTW, as a followup to my other post, Chris is sending me a label to put inside the instrument. It's exciting to me that I ended up with the very first one of these that he made - he told me that mine doesn't have a label because at the time he made it he wasn't yet sure how he'd name or number them. That pretty much makes up for the fact that I prefer the look of the black headstock he did on the first official batch.

Happy playing! I have my first real lesson on Monday.

I just gave mine it's first time out. It was just me and the lead singer/rhythm guitar player working out some harmonies, so a pretty low-key setting, but it sounded fine. The weather here is pretty funky right now. The barometer is all over the place so I'm having some tuning problems but it'll settle down in a few days, I think. Going from Moab to Victoria is quite a change. I'm going to give the pickup (McIntyre Feather) a test drive tomorrow.

I just gave mine it's first time out. It was just me and the lead singer/rhythm guitar player working out some harmonies, so a pretty low-key setting, but it sounded fine. The weather here is pretty funky right now. The barometer is all over the place so I'm having some tuning problems but it'll settle down in a few days, I think. Going from Moab to Victoria is quite a change. I'm going to give the pickup (McIntyre Feather) a test drive tomorrow.

It's rather humid in these here parts of Virginia. It took a good week, maybe 10 days before I didn't have to do some significant tuning (~1/4 tone off either which way) each time I took mine out of the case.

Nowadays, it's just a little tweak here, and there, and it's ready to go.

I modified my case with a piece of stiff foam but really, I hate it. I have a Floodtone that I'll be selling that doesn't have a case so I think I'll put it in this case and look for something that fits the Arches better. Any ideas?
    So no one has any case suggestions?

So no one has any case suggestions? :
    disbelief:
    I see two suggestions already. I have no problem with the case. It's a box with a handle which is all I really need.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
    I see two suggestions already. I have no problem with the case. It's a box with a handle which is all I really need.

There is a problem with the case, namely, the mandolin does not fit. If you're fine with your instrument moving around in it's case, both back and forth as well as up and down, great. I, and most of the musicians I know, would not be.

There *have* been two suggestions but neither suit me. For one thing, I'm in Canada. A Weber case at 150.00 would come in at well over two hundred for me, with exchange, shipping, customs and duty. Pretty expensive. As for the Eastman cases, there are different types. I don't think it's a guarantee the Arches would fit. There is an Eastman dealer here, so I can take a look and see how they fit. Still, I wouldn't mind hearing what others have decided to do.

What are its measurements, especially its body width at its widest point, and the distance that point to the end pin? I have a discontinued Breedlove case made by Access that might work, and if so it can still be had on eBay for $69 USD.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront