Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ferns at Skinner auction

Default Ferns at Skinner auction

Has anybody seen, heard, and/or vetted these instruments?

would love a report

thanks
    Barry

Default Re: Ferns at Skinner auction

Got a link?

I spoke with the owner a couple years ago. The double case is also really quite a thing to behold. The question at the time was pretty much "are two very nice ferns worth more as a matched pair with a special case" ? Hard to answer that one. I picture the twins being split up..

From the archive:
    Number 1, 84264
    Number 2, 84265

The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

I know a very well known and knowledgable dealer who played these instruments a week ago today. One was set up with new strings... the other not. He said they both sounded superb, both have good neck angles, one has a slightly thicker neck than the other and apparently all is ship-shape on both. An exceptional item to bid on... once in a lifetime...

No, i don't think they'll be split up. Too rare and cool like that, and whoever would buy them, I believe, would respect that.
    Twins better than two good Ferns??? Tough one, but, I'd say yes.

Thumbs up Re: Ferns at Skinner auction

I'm with you Ken... togetha is bettah!

I posted a thread about these mando's on 4/17/09 in the general catogory. There is a link to the Skinner site there as well. The last responder mentioned that they were up for auction not too distant in the past.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Seems I recall when they were made public over a year ago there was some major repairs that needed to be made to one of them. Odd that one has new strings and the other does not. Sometimes in situations like today's economy we may well find out they are worth less as a pair. An auction of this merit is a good way to find out.
    Two great early Ferns in what may be a one of a kind double case or one fantastic '23 Loar?
    That's a tough one.

Hmmm..

Wonder if they'd offer a "two for the price of one" super special deal, this week & this week only..hurry while stock lasts, " You'll EARN,EARN,EARN if you BUY these FERNS"..Has Skinners Auctions gone CRAZY!!! Out they go !!

And thats not all !! If you buy NOW, you'll also recieve an authentic side-bound Loar-signed July 9 '23 F-5 ( while stock lasts, only 300 available ), ABSOLUTELY FREE !! And some STEAK KNIVES !! And some..er..other stuff..

Probably not...was a nice dream though....

I was also told that there is NO issue with either of the necks and that there was absolutely no sign of any work been done. If any work was done it's invisible now...

Cost and condition aside, it's interesting to speculate on the social origin of this double mando kit. Perhaps this is already known & I'm way off base, but...it seems most likely that some strong minded and well heeled musician was interested in duo playing and wanted to be able to play his Fern with and in contrast to another Fern which he was willing to supply. Just a guess.
    Last edited by Michael Gowell; Apr-28-2009 at 7:17am. Reason: clarity

22 1/2% Buyers premium on top of what ever the hammer price is. That just kills it for me

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gowell View Post
    Cost and condition aside, it's interesting to speculate on the social origin of this double mando kit. Perhaps this is already known & I'm way off base, but...it seems most likely that some strong minded and well heeled musician was interested in duo playing and wanted to be able to play his Fern with and in contrast to another Fern which he was willing to supply. Just a guess.
    Husband and wife?

Quote Originally Posted by delsbrother View Post
    Husband and wife?
    That seems intuitively right. Is the provenance known?
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Most fiddlers I see carrying two instruments do so in order have different tunings ready at hand. Perhaps that was the idea behind the twins.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

The provenance is known, and the idea of two was simply to have a spare in case of a broken string during preformance.
    Cool that one is slab, and the other 1/4 sawn.
    Ken

Care to share the provenance?

I think it's pretty common among the pros to carry 2 of what you got just in case. Apollon always had a 2nd F5 ready to go at all times while performing usually sitting nearby on the piano. Monroe had another F5
    "close by"(wasn't that the name of a song?)usually on the bus ready to go in case he needed it.
    And I think you will find guys like Skaggs, McCoury,Thile,
    Osborne,McReynolds,Lawson etc. will have one close by just in case. But to me the thought of requesting a special double case to house them in is the kicker on this pair. It's the only original double 20's case found to date although I suspect there is another that was found years ago.

Fiddler & Mandolin Player Dave Reiner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Platnick View Post
    Has anybody seen, heard, and/or vetted these instruments?

would love a report

thanks
    I'll probably stop in at both the Skinner and Tarisio viewings on Saturday or Sunday. I may be able to report on these Ferns, but perhaps not in time to help you strategize about your precise bidding level

Dave
    '04 Gibson F3, '04 Gibson A4, '06 Gibson F4, '26 Gibson F5, '27 Gibson F4, '87 Givens A6, 2017 Kimble A5

Author, Anthology of Fiddle Styles; Co-author, Oldtime Fiddling Across America
    Genial host, Fiddle Hell Online (coming up on April 11-14, 2024, with 220 concerts, jams, & workshops (incl many for mandolin) and free replays for 4 months)
    Join www.facebook.com/groups/fiddlehellmassachusetts
    Free jams on our YouTube channel YouTube.com/FiddleHell
    More info at fiddlehell.org

The Ferns belonged to Robert Sharp, of Memphis TN. Gibson agent and preformer, pictured in catalogs with a Loar F5.....
    Died young, in an auto accident.

I just got a reply posted to my thread on these from Mr. Sharps grandson. http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=50383
    He included a few thumbnails
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

These mandolins were commissioned to be made by my grandfather Robert Sharp. He was an accomplished mandolinist and music educator. He organized and led the Memphis Plectrum Orchestra, one of the first groups to broadcast for WMC, the city’s first radio station. He went on to found the Memphis Plectro Phonic Orchestra, training and performing with many protégés. He continued as a popular performing artist in Little Rock, Arkansas with his family ensemble. Their picture can be found on the back of Skinner’s auction catalog. My father is the 3rd from the left sitting next to my grandfather.

After my grandfather’s tragic auto accident, the mandolins continued to be played by my father and brothers for many years. They were thoroughly enjoyed by several generations. These instruments have never been sold or offered for sale until now. My family did make inquiries several years ago concerning the value of these instruments. We elected not to sell at the time to avoid significant capital gains tax. We are now settling our mother’s estate and can offer the instruments for sale. Our hope is these instruments can remain together due to their uniqueness and rich heritage. We can only hope the future owner will appreciate their true intrinsic value.

If someone can tell me how to attach a picture without an http: site available I will be glad to post a picture of the orchestra.

Thanks,
    Philip Sharp

Well, I tried for several hours to post my original message ... apparently there was a problem with the server. Now that I got through, I see my brother Bill also responded.

I will try to find directions for posting a picture tomorrow when the server is more responsive.

Philip

Hello Philip and welcome to the cafe! I spoke with your brother Bill some time ago as well.

We did indeed have a problem at the site that has now been resolved. Looking forward to hearing your take on things as well
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"