Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Dose anybody have the pic of bill monroe holding all his band?

Default Re: Dose anybody have the pic of bill monroe holding all his band

I e-mailed a relative of Dave 'Stringbean' Akeman (Akemon) who runs an annual commemorative
    'Stringfest' festival & also another group of people whom i thought might have some info.,all to no avail, as per the CMHF request. It seems like nobody's interested. May be somebody could make contact with Bluegrass Unlimited or Neil Rosenberg & make a casual enquiry,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

A little off-topic, but here's my Bilmon story... Somewhere around 1974, my band at the time made our annual trip to the Bean Blossom festival. We were kind of hobo-ing around for the summer, going from festival to festival, and playing road houses along the way for tips, food and beer. After the festival was over, we stayed the next day and worked for Bill cleaning up the park. We worked a good 10 hours picking up trash along with ALL the bluegrass boys. I had the privilege of sharing lunch with Kenny Baker and the rest of the boys. I think Bobby Black was with him then, but can't remember who else.

I made the comment to Kenny "Now I can go home and tell my friends I got to 'pick' with the Bluegrass Boys". He made a joke something like... "Yeah, trash is mostly what we pick". After the long, hard day, I met with Bill to get paid. Out of his wallet he pulled a stack of bills literally an inch thick. (mostly LARGE bills) He gave me a Jackson... which worked out to be about $2 per hour. But working for Bill Monroe? Priceless... i guess.

The latest issue of Bluegrass Unlimited (with Dale Ann Bradley on the cover) gives references to this 'picture', but does not include a copy of the picture. Interesting.

Yes it does Evan..the BU is also where I got the link to the YouTube video I posted re: the incident. I know the pic exists..Ive seen..where Ive seen it I cant recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Kelley View Post
    I saw Bill in Galax in the early to mid 90's. While backstage a friend of Bill's came to say hello and when he held out his hand to Bill, Bill jerked him across the room into himself. Bill and all those around him just laughed. Bill was a stout man.
    ,,,,you mean 'strong',..."stout" means -somewhat fat or of a heavy build,...the word is often misused !

Quote Originally Posted by papa willie View Post
    Mr. Reilly, I can't recall where; but I have seen this picture on the web.
    ...you people need to contact Bluegrass Unlimited Magazine, Floyd ,VA....seems like they showed a pic, but I thought he had them get on a platform, and he got under it and lifted it on his shoulders,...somewhere in my mind seems like he carried them down the street ???

I too was unable to find the pic in question. Bill was a strong man physically and otherwise, especially in his younger years. I did find this old picture that should leave no doubt as to his strength.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	strongman Bill Monroe.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	172842  
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

8. The following members say thank you to jim simpson for this post: