Thread: DAEB Tuning on Tennor?

Default DAEB Tuning on Tennor?

Hi. I've got my Ozark Tenor retuned to GDAE (from it's original CGDA). It sounds pretty good, but I'm thinking about trying DAEB tuning instead. Do you think if I put the original CGDA strings back on, would it work to just tune them all up one full step do DAEB, or will I break strings?

Thanks.

-Brett

Default Re: DAEB Tuning on Tennor?

The .010 gets pretty tight when tuned to A. Not sure how long it will last at B.

This is why God made capos. I often play with one at the second fret.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Your Ozark has a 21" scale length. Most tenor guitars have a 23" scale length. Your missing two inches are pretty much the equivalent of a capo on the second fret. In other words, if you use strings designed for CGDA tuning on a 23" instrument, you should be roughly OK on the Ozark with going one full step up.

I can't remember what gauges Ozark supplies from the factory, but I don't think they were particularly good strings, so I suggest you just get a stock CGDA tenor guitar set, like d'Addario J66.

If that feels like too much tension, do as Martin S. said and capo at the second fret.

Martin

Probably won't get a .010 up to B, it often is right at the breaking point at A. You get good a changing them FAST!

A number of us tenor players in the great NW have a sticker on our cases "Got .010's?" We are always running low.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music