Page 1 of 31 1234526 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandolins On TV - Advance Notice

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Mandolins On TV - Advance Notice

I'm hoping to use this method to let people know of upcoming TV appearances by mandolinists or people whose performance may include a mandolin. The primary objective is to give us all some advance notice so as to avoid the inevitable - "Dang! I missed it! Wish I'd known!" - aka the D'Oh Factor.

Keep in mind that talk shows usually save musical performances until the end of the show, so add about :50 to the broadcast time if you're setting your VCR.

So if you know of any such scheduled performances, sing out!

Starting with:

Tonight on Jimmy Fallon, 12:35 EDT NBC - Sara Watkins with John Paul Jones. The Led Zeppelin bassist, also known for playing mandolin, produced the self-titled debut album by the former fiddler and singer from Nickel Creek. Her former bandmates - brother Sean and Chris Thile - are also on the album, along with Tim O'Brien, Gillian Welch, David Rawlings, Benmont Tench, Ronnie McCoury, and Punch Brothers’ Chris Eldridge. I haven't been able to find out who else will be playing tonight nor what JPJ will be playing (presumably bass, as he did with MAS - that's Mutual Admiration Society, not what you were thinking - nor which song, but I'm hoping it's Jimmie Rodgers‘ “Any Old Time,” I love that song.
    Last edited by journeybear; Apr-13-2009 at 11:15pm.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Default Re: Mandolins On TV - Advance Notice

If it's just Sara and JPJ I bet he plays mando. If there are more players than that, I bet Benmont plays also. He plays with Sean and Sara all time at their "Watkins Family Hour" shows here in L.A.

Blog Entries

FYI, Sara Watkins has 6 preview tracks on her website for listening. if you poke around enough (view source, etc) you can download em too. pretty good stuff.
    Original acoustic music - Solo Octave Mandolin - Original Folk Music

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jefflester View Post
    If it's just Sara and JPJ I bet he plays mando. If there are more players than that, I bet Benmont plays also.
    It was actually Sara on fiddle and vocals, JPJ on bass, perhaps Sean on rhythm guitar, backed up by the house band, The Roots - forgot that could be a factor. All in all a bit funkier than I was expecting.

But that's what happens with this sort of thing - giving advance notice. There's a lot of guesswork involved, and while you can't predict with 100% accuracy, you can provide all the info you can find so people can make an informed decision.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

It's all a guessing game, so here goes:

Today (4/14) on Oprah (syndicated; CYLL): A whole show devoted to country music- Kenny Chesney, Carrie Underwood, Sugarland, Darius Rucker. I expect at least Christian will play some mandolin. Here this runs at 4 PM and repeats after Craig Ferguson.

4/15 - Letterman (11:35 PM EDT, CBS): Neko Case in a rare TV appearance. You never know what she will do. She is also listed for the late night repeat of a previous Tonight Show appearance (here it's 3 AM, NBC, Tues night/Wed morn; CYLL!)

4/17 - Today Show (9 AM EDT, NBC): Jo Dee Messina
    - Craig Ferguson (12:35 AM, CBS): Martina McBride

Martina is pretty roots-oriented, so it's more likely to see a mandolin in her band than Jo Dee's.

Blog Entries

As I mentioned, it's all a guessing game. Jo Dee Messina's Today Show appearance was just an interview, in which she talked more about her baby than anything else, and Martina McBride's scheduled appearance on the Late Late Show Friday got pushed back to this Friday, and they substituted Madeleine Peyroux - intriguing, but no MC. For this week all I see in my crystal ball is:

4/24 - Craig Ferguson (12:35 AM, CBS): Martina McBride

Martina is more rootsy than most Nashville stars, so it's possible there will be a mandolin in her band.

Blog Entries

UPDATES!!!

4/22 - Today Show - (8 AM EDT, NBC): Dolly Parton
    4/23 - Craig Ferguson (12:35 AM EDT, CBS): Martina McBride
    4/28 - Letterman (11:35 PM EDT, CBS): Dolly Parton

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    No mandos.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    No mandos.
    Yep. Nope. All I can do is hope.

Nothing on the horizon either, two weeks out ...

I think this thread is a great idea. On another board I visit they have a similar topic but start a new thread each month so it doesn't get too big. For example, next month the topic would be "Mandolins on TV - May 2009".

Of course, if the number of entries isn't large (not a lot of mandolin on TV) a yearly reset might be sufficient.
    <Insert witty saying here>

Blog Entries

Why, thankee! I try to post weekly, Sunday night, to give people a heads-up for the coming week. I kind of let it slide this week since there was so lttle, and had doubts that the one possibility (Dolly) would pan out - which ended up being confirmed. Best to check here Sundays and Tuesdays; the networks seem to send out their PR on Mondays.

The sites I visit for this info only go two weeks into the future, so a monthly approach isn't possible. The best site for this - rockontv.com - got bought by VH-1 a couple of years ago, which continued to operate it as it was until this year, when they changed it to just covering their own offerings.

Yearly - ha! I mean, ouch! Hey - you take that back!

Blog Entries

5/1 - The View (11 AM EDT, ABC): Dolly Parton with the cast of "9 to 5''

Probably no mandolins, as she is promoting her Broadway show, but you never know ...

Blog Entries

Slow going lately for mandolins on TV ...

Steve Earle on Tavis Smiley, PBS, late night Thursday 5/14

I'm including this mostly because he has a lot of fans here, he does play some mandolin, and he doesn't give too many interviews. This is bound to be more talk than music (if any), but that could be interesting. Check your local listings, as broadcast times vary widely.

Best to go to http://www.zap2it.com/ and drop in your zip code and cable provider to get more accurate localized info. It's searchable on show title. You can even customize your listings, to show just the channels you want to know about and not display unwanted ones, by registering. You might want to do a test recording the day before, because some stations vary their schedule broadcasting this show. Been there, regretted that ... a word to the wise ...

5/21 - Letterman (11:35 PM EDT, CBS): Jean Redpath

Noted folk singer and musicologist, in an incredibly rare TV appearance

A for sure mandolin appearance from the NewsFetcher:

Scott Gates on The Ellen Degeneres Show Monday May 25 backing Steve Martin.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=51175

Blog Entries

Coming up this week:
    6/2 - Today Show: Elvis Costello
    6/3 - Letterman: Steve Earle
    6/4 - Letterman: Elvis Costello

These are all "maybes" - you never know till you tune in.

As are these, next week:

6/9 - Conan: Bonnie Raitt and Taj Mahal
    6/11 - Conan: Neko Case

Lastly, there's been some talk about using loopers in a solo performance. To see this in action:
    6/11 - Craig Ferguson: Theresa Andersson

Blog Entries

So many "maybes" turning out to be "nopes" ... I'm pretty sure these are "probably nots" but possibly of interest to some.

6/9 - Conan: Bonnie Raitt and Taj Mahal
    6/9 - Jimmy Fallon Late Night: Steve Martin, Paul Simon *
    6/10 - Craig: Theresa Andersson (for those interested in how loopers work in a live solo performance)
    6/11 - Conan: Neko Case

* In the dead of night (3 AM here), NBC replays shows from the week before. This is well worth catching - er, recording and watching later - if only for the jam between Steve and Paul, which is more like real back porch pickin' than just about anything I've ever seen on TV.

Celtic Woman on Good Morning America June 30th 8 am (eastern time, I'm assuming)

Carolyn
    Shawnee Creek F-style
    www.shawneecreekwoodworks.com
    Crafter Acoustic/Electric wallhanger
    www.carolynboyles.com
    www.livingwithspinalcordinjury.com
    www.colonialdevelopmentcommission.com (a website I moderate)

Steve Earle on Tavis Smiley, PBS, late night Thursday 5/14; I'm including this mostly because he has a lot of fans here, he does play some mandolin, and he doesn't give too many interviews.
    Don't apologize; he has more to do with mandolins and authentic roots music than any of the other headliners mentioned so far.....
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fretbear View Post
    Don't apologize; he has more to do with mandolins and authentic roots music than any of the other headliners mentioned so far.....
    Not really apologizing, just kind of quietly seething due to lack of mandolin appearances on TV. I started doing this because it seemed like a good idea, having one place people could go to find this out, rather than randomly happening upon random mentions in random threads. It's frustrating, though, having to guess whether a mandolin might appear here or there, and so far my batting average is such that I would be sent to the minors. Two hits out of eleven plate appearances is .182, pretty bad.

But still, hopefully some people are tuning in and catching some good music anyway, be they mandolinated or not.

I am trying to keep it focused on mandolins, though, and, barring that, occasionally including appearances having something to do with a current thread - Steve Martin, use of loopers, etc. So I wouldn't mention Celtic Woman because I know there won't be mandolin - a handful of lovely ladies in long gowns, one of whom plays fiddle. But that said, Carolyn (and many thanks anyway for your interest), I can't help wondering - what's your source for this? I'm only able to get about two weeks into the future with mine, and you've got more than three! Very impressive. Do tell ...

this is straying from the original post,but i thought some might find it interesting?not on tv but the radio..here in my state there's a station out of Philly,WXPN 88.7..only terrestrial station i listen to...they're on the web..what isn't?but they run a show called World Cafe..it's NPR..you might have heard of it?today they had Jorma Kaukonen on..he has another really great album out,great finger-pickin music...the kind you can listen to all day and night...so i thought i'd share this,if you didn't already hear it..enjoy..

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=103811861
    "Enjoy every sandwich." Warren Zevon

Facebook
    Youtube

Blog Entries

There is actual mandolin content here, if Barry Mitterhoff is playing with him, as he has with Hot Tuna for years (I don't see him mentioned in the blurb). Also I see that Levon Helm plays drums on the album, and we all know he was the mandolinist in The Band ...

There is actual mandolin content here, if Barry Mitterhoff is playing with him, as he has with Hot Tuna for years (I don't see him mentioned in the blurb). Also I see that Levon Helm plays drums on the album, and we all know he was the mandolinist in The Band ...
    i didn't catch who was playing w/jorma..thanks..i need to go back and listen again..did hear mandolin..i thought it was a nice set...short...but very cool..
    "Enjoy every sandwich." Warren Zevon

Facebook
    Youtube

Well, I could claim that I'm clairvoyant, but actually Celtic Woman is appearing in concert locally and when I went to their website the TV appearance was announced on their website.

I like Enya and Loreena McKennitt better.

Carolyn
    Shawnee Creek F-style
    www.shawneecreekwoodworks.com
    Crafter Acoustic/Electric wallhanger
    www.carolynboyles.com
    www.livingwithspinalcordinjury.com
    www.colonialdevelopmentcommission.com (a website I moderate)

Blog Entries

Dang! I was hoping there was a better source than what I've found - http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCGrid.do - which is nice enough, searchable, personalizable (you can set your preferences to have it show just the channels you're interested in, very convenient), but pales in comparison to the late lamented rockontv.com. That would go months in advance on occasion, would search on artist's names, channels, dates, as well as shows, and there would even be listings for artists' appearances in unlikely places. For instance, I would never have known The Rolling Stones were going to be on a soap opera (a concert appearance was worked into a story line) if it weren't for this. It got bought by VH-1 about three years ago, and still operated fine, until the end of last year, when it was converted to a search engine just for VH-1 broadcasts. Bleachh! I would love to find another service that was doing what it did. Zap2it is OK, but you have to search show by show, which is pretty clunky, and it only goes two weeks in advance.

Life in the information age ... sigh ...