Thread: The Loar LM-600-VS

Default The Loar LM-600-VS

I recently took a "The Loar" LM-600-VS in trade for some repair work. I was not familiar with this instrument, but I figured that by adding a decent bridge and quality tuners I could recoup my $300 outlay. I was under the inpression that this was just another run of the mill Pac-Rim mando, but after setting it up I was surprised. Am I missing something here? Sure would appreciate any comments or opinions.

Default Re: The Loar LM-600-VS

The only thing missing is the high price.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

There are quite a few discussions about these mandolins on the cafe. One of them is here.

Here's a discussion of the 700 series as well.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I don't think you're missing anything. The 600 is just a good, solid instrument that happens to come at an affordable price. As I've noted here once before, when I had mine in for a set-up at Parkway Music in Clifton Park NY, Tom (the owner) stuck a note in my case saying "I like this one!"

I play mine all the time and it just gets better and better.
    2020 Custom Weber Yellowstone F-20-F octave mandolin
    2019 Weber Yellowstone F-17 mandola
    2019 Custom Weber Diamondback F14-F
    2018 Custom Weber Yellowstone F14-0
    2016 Weber Octar

www.webermandolins.com/mandolin-artists/michael-eck

Hand carved with good wood and a nitro finish. That is a hard combination to beat . Served Gibson well for a long time.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Ok then! For $300 (over $100 of which is in the tuners and bridge) it appears I lucked out and have a nice addition to my collection. But.....who designed that BIG gaudy looking case????

It may be a copy of the original Loar case (not "The Loar", Lloyd Loar), post a pciture.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

The LM-600 comes from the factory with a rectangular foam case. Quite functional, but not overly attractive.

Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Yup, that's the case. Seems to be a lot of wasted space inside. And, I'm not a big fan of those ouside pockets. When I walked into a local music store, the owner thought I had a Tommy gun! But, the price was definately right!

Those big hard foam cases are very good impact and thermal protection, and they float! You never know when this quality might come in handy.

Music Link has a serious hard case available for those mandolins that's quite nice, and quite authentic as well:

ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

The foam case may not be attractive to you, but it certainly is functional. Far more functional than the good looking Loar replica case that sells for much more. Protection is the first function of a good case and all else should be secondary. Drop your mandolin a time or two while in the case and you will soon see how great your "ugly" foam case is. Can't do that with most wood cases. Just my opinion.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

I agree. I'd take a hard foam case over either the classy rectangular case or, with the exception of a Calton or a Pegasus, a shaped hard case. I have no trouble finding a use for the extra pockets, and they rest on the floor just fine.
    ph

Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

I find the case to be top heavy, especially with loaded pockets. Remove the instrument and over she goes! The foam padding seems quite thin with the feel of wood just under the surface. I would think that will all that extra internal space, more provisions for storage could have been made. I also find the strap/handles to be awkward. Of course, if I ever need a life raft.....I'm set! But hey, what do I know?? I'm a geezer who's stuck in tradition. Heck, I'm still trying to come to grips with those "new fangled" electronic tuners!!! ;-)

teleman4200

Did the new tuners and bridge make any difference? Are they that much better than stock/ The reason I asked was I have one on order.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I received this instrument as payment for work I performed on a customer's Weber. I was told it was an early model. The tuners appeard to be Schaller knock-offs. They were pure poop-ola with "made in Korea" stamped on the underside. I replaced them with Grovers (I like the 18:1 ratio), which required a small amount of custom fitting. Later models are reported to be fitted with Gotohs, so you should be good to go. The bridge was sorta "OK", but I had a better one laying around. After setting it up, I'm VERY surprised with the way this baby sounds and plays. And, I've heard that the more you play 'em, the better they get............which makes sense!
    Have your new 600 professionally set up and I'm sure you'll be happy! Good luck.
    Last edited by midyearguru; Apr-14-2009 at 11:40am.

OOOPS........I hit he wrong button!

Only a few of the early ones had the budget tuners. A few more had Grovers (which is what I replaced the cheapies on my early "The Loar" with) and since then, they all have Gotohs. The likelihood of getting one with the budget gears is extremely small.

I had no issues with my stock bridge, other than needing to fit it better to the top. Nice ebony, good thumbwheel hardware, nicely cut.
    ph

Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

made a deal with a client of ours who owns a house here in tuscany ... in exchange for one of my paintings (sight unseen - one of many "works in progress") i asked him to pick up either an epiphone mm-50 or a loar lm-600vs - whichever is more readily available to him from the music stores in mid-town manhattan.

... awaiting developments (sometimes i can't sleep at nights) - bill

teleman4200

What about the wood nymph? Does it help smooth harmonics?