Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kaufman Kamp Week 2 ?

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Default Kaufman Kamp Week 2 ?

Okay, it's April. Time to talk about KK.

Last year we had about 11-12 members attend.

Who's going this year? June 20-27.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Default Re: Kaufman Kamp Week 2 ?

I'll be there! I'm hooked for life.
    Rick in Memphis

I'm pretty hooked myself, but I'll be at week 1. I'd love to do the mando track, but my sister (a fiddler) is coming this year, so I'm basically limited to the first week. I'll be hanging out with the intermediate flatpickers. Give me a shout if you're going to be in Maryville that week.

As an aside, I'm really delighted to get to share that time with my sister. We haven't had a vacation together since the late 1980s. It's a pretty cool thing that can bring folks together that way.

Fiddler & Mandolin Player Dave Reiner's Avatar

Wish I could but will be at Northeast Heritage Music Camp instead. I'll miss my friends at KK!

As a consolation, I did just teach mando and fiddle at a weekend camp near Boston (Mando Camp North), and got to play some fun tunes with Rich DelGrosso, Mike Compton, David Surrette, and more.

Dave
    '04 Gibson F3, '04 Gibson A4, '06 Gibson F4, '26 Gibson F5, '27 Gibson F4, '87 Givens A6, 2017 Kimble A5

Author, Anthology of Fiddle Styles; Co-author, Oldtime Fiddling Across America
    Genial host, Fiddle Hell Online (coming up on April 11-14, 2024, with 220 concerts, jams, & workshops (incl many for mandolin) and free replays for 4 months)
    Join www.facebook.com/groups/fiddlehellmassachusetts
    Free jams on our YouTube channel YouTube.com/FiddleHell
    More info at fiddlehell.org

Blog Entries

I'll be there. Can hardly wait!

How many mandolins are you bringing, Phil?

Oh yeah, there's a BG festival in Cherokee the weekend before Week 2. I might hit that too.
    Last edited by pickloser; Apr-08-2009 at 7:12am. Reason: add Cherokee info

I just signed up... here we go ! Whoohoo!

Planning to do afternoon fiddle workshops too. Need bluegrass help with that... all cajun down here!

Cherokee fest? hmmm I'll recon that...
    2001 Flatiron F5

Ummm, yeah. I'll be there. Hiding in the back...

I am going, but I will be there with a banjo player aka dad, dont hold that against me

Quote Originally Posted by pickloser View Post
    I'll be there. Can hardly wait!
    How many mandolins are you bringing, Phil?
    Hi Laura,
    I figured you'd be signed up already. Can't wait to jam with you. Is your Canadian friend coming?

As for me, 2 mandos will probably suffice.
    Can't wait to see your Phoenix!

Rick, Mark, Wingher, dragnlo: Glad you're coming.
    Besides Rick, have the rest of you been to KK before?

JoeD: Glad you can make it for 1 week this year. IIRC, you had a conflict and missed last year?
    Phil

I have never been, my dads been numerous times for the banjo and is going as a beginner guitar this year. I am sure he will still bring the banjo.

Blog Entries

Wanda from Newfourndland says she's coming. She just bought a bowlback that I'd like to see and play, but I don't know if plane travel will allow it. Anna, the guitar player from Colorado will be there as well. Susan (Mandomama, also fondly known by me as GTS) from Colorado Springs can't make it this year, and I'll miss her.

I've been listening to as much of John Reischman's music as I can get hold of. What a player! And of course I bought a couple of Don Stiernberg's CD's at Kamp last year, so I'm listening to him a lot. Making me more and more eager to get to Maryville.

I think I'll just be bringing the Phoenix (I'm still in love with that mandolin) and my guitar (having some trouble remembering how to play it) for singing sessions.

dragnlo, if it's like last year, you're going to have some folks around your age to hang with if you want. Some real good pickers too.

Looking forward to playing with you too, Phil.
    Last edited by pickloser; Apr-09-2009 at 7:00am. Reason: add comment to dragnlo

This is my first time at KK. I'll be accompanied (pun intended) by my guitar playing husband (Alan)and my girlfriend, Mary. I'm really looking forward to it and have been getting my callouses in shape!

Since I can't be there this year, would someone take pictures to post on the Forum? It's almost as good as being there, NOT! Would love to come, but I have so much on my plate this summer I just can't. Someone play Ashokan Farewell for me at a jam...
    Susan
    Weber SE
    Hoffee Mandolin case

JoeD: Glad you can make it for 1 week this year. IIRC, you had a conflict and missed last year?
    Yep. Deadlines at work shifted on me and I had to make other arrangements. I can't wait to get back there this year. Wish I could join in with you guys during week 2, but then again my guitar playing needs just as much work.

If I can make bail, I'll be there. Got arrested last night for putting a capo on my mando at a jam. See you all there.
    A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

"I Never Wanted To Be A Barber. I Always Wanted To Be A Lumberjack !"

Dave,
    For such an egregious crime, I'm bettin' you'll never get bailed out!!

Look forward to seeing you in June.
    Phil

I'm having a great time playing along Kaufman's book of reels/ w CD that my friend Eddie Sheehan has lent me-great fun but as close as I'll get.
    That black top Gibson he plays sounds great!
    Jon

Hey! I'm here, I'm here! :-)

Well, I'd say we probably signed up for KK Week 2 back in January. Or maybe December. So far back I can't remember!

I will really be pushing it as a sign-up for the Intermediate track. What with house remodeling and all the work of college searches for our 18-year-old son, I've had less evening practice time than usual.......and much of that has been given to the bass, since I've been playing in a band. Pickloser, I still haven't gotten beyond major chords on the mando! But at least I can chop with those, so that's something I can do in a jam session that I *couldn't* do last year.

So, Gutbucket, what do you think they'll do to me if I put a capo on my bass? ;-)
    Audey Ratliff R-5
    Larry Muth F-5
    Old Wave (Bill Bussmann) Oval-A

Celia,
    Glad you & Wayne will be there! Hey, who needs more than major chords anyway? Good enough for the Carter family, right?
    Bring a few of those fine mandos and a bass and we'll have great fun!! If we need any chords that have those funny numbers & stuff in them, we'll let Laura play them. (Ready Laura?)

Man oh man, I can hardly wait for June.
    Anybody else out there?
    Phil

Blog Entries

Phil's right. If you don't know the chord, you can mute the strings and continue to swat at the mando as if you know what you're doing. It works for me often. But in the--thankfully--little time we have left until camp, I'm gonna work on chords a lot. The pressure's on, if I gotta learn those number thingies. Even if I do, though, I'll never be in demand like a bass player.

It will be great to see you guys. I'm so looking forward to a week of music.

I couldn't resist:
    To make a 3 finger major chord into a minor chord, slide your index finger one fret closer to the nut. The 3 finger major chord has a root under the middle finger, a root under the ring finger, and the index is on the third. (Actually it takes 3 distinct notes to make a true chord--but we're talking mando here.) Flat that third and you have a minor chord. For example, if you're making a 3 finger G chord, slide your index finger from the B to the Bb and you have G minor. There are other and better minor chord forms, but that will work. There...now everyone knows as many minors as majors.

Two more months. Yippee!
    Laura

Yeah; if you listen to a lot of the current mando "greats," you can hear that they actually have a "dry" chop when they're not soloing. I kinda like the sound of it--very rhythmic. Maybe I feel that way because I'm a bass player. Wayne, by the way, has a great dry chop!

Laura, I'm going to try your suggestion for minor chords! After all, YOU were the one who very quickly--before the last class broke up last year--showed me several 3-finger chords. I have used those (plus a few 5-finger ones I've been able to get) consistently since then.

By the way, we asked for a jam dorm this year, so we should be "in the action" a lot more. We'll bring our white noise machine for those few hours we might want some sleep while others are still jamming away.

I'm picturing people at some of the Carnegie jams from last year...........has anyone heard from Jabberwocky--is he coming? And Phil, is Mike Smith coming?

Phil, Laura, Gutbucket, and anyone else I've missed--I can't wait!!!

Celia
    Audey Ratliff R-5
    Larry Muth F-5
    Old Wave (Bill Bussmann) Oval-A

I found an old post to comando by John Bird (thx John!) Jun9, 2000 that was a long list of suggestions for new kampers. Entertaining, and definitely gets into the spirit of things! I can't wait !

Don't want to post that here, but if anyone wants a link, just ping me.
    2001 Flatiron F5

Smile Re: Kaufman Kamp Week 2 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobike View Post
    Hey! I'm here, I'm here! :-)

Well, I'd say we probably signed up for KK Week 2 back in January. Or maybe December. So far back I can't remember!

I will really be pushing it as a sign-up for the Intermediate track. What with house remodeling and all the work of college searches for our 18-year-old son, I've had less evening practice time than usual.......and much of that has been given to the bass, since I've been playing in a band. Pickloser, I still haven't gotten beyond major chords on the mando! But at least I can chop with those, so that's something I can do in a jam session that I *couldn't* do last year.

So, Gutbucket, what do you think they'll do to me if I put a capo on my bass? ;-)
    They'll pepper you with "Deetle Dots" and make you eat lunch with the soccer kids.
    A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

I'll be picking guitar this time. It was always my main instrument since I was a teen and I'm going back to it more and more. I hope you'll still invite me to wreck, er, I mean join in a jam?
    A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobike View Post
    I'm picturing people at some of the Carnegie jams from last year...........has anyone heard from Jabberwocky--is he coming? And Phil, is Mike Smith coming?

Phil, Laura, Gutbucket, and anyone else I've missed--I can't wait!!!

Celia
    Last conversations I had: Jbwky is planning to come and Mike was still debating. Pat Kline is coming too.
    Phil