Thread: Michael Kelly Mandolin case problems

Question Michael Kelly Mandolin case problems

Hi,

I recently got a Michael Kelly mandolin, Legacy FSE and it does not fit in the case. The case's padding is so much that I cannot put the mandolin in it without pushing down very hard, which I won't do.

What I want to do is get an ABS case such as the Gator. However the mandolin sits higher than the 3" case height as listed by Gator because the top is arched as is the back. There is also an ABS case by Musicians Gear that actually shows what looks like a Michael Kelly mandolin in it with the height being 3.75".

My question to you all is have any of you used the above-mentioned cases (or other brands) for your Michael Kelly mandolins? If so, how is the fit? How well do you like what you got?

I know there is the ability to return a case that does not fit, but it would be nice to get it right the first time.

As far as returning the current case, alas.... it has been lost at the local music store (personal friends) during a move, so I will just bite the bullet and get a case on my own.

Thanks!

Laura Harmon

Default Re: Michael Kelly Mandolin case problems

Laura - have you thought of getting one of this type of Mandolin case ?. It's a Bobelok case,the Eastman 'Violin' style Mandolin case is similar.They are good strong cases,usually with plenty of room for the Mandolin.The 2 side compartments wiil take all your bits & pieces & the zippered outer pocket will take a year's supply of strings if you want - well worth a look at. I have one & it takes either of my Mandolins with no trouble,
    Saska
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bobelock Mandolin case..jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	40772  
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Destroyer of Mandolins

Hi Laura and welcome to the Cafe,

I'm sort of the unofficial supporter, defender, and unrepentant player of MK electric models. I have the mandolin you're talking about.

That said, the MK rectangular case is not the best of the bunch, so you're not really missing too much anyway.

Do you find that the electronics are in the way? You need to squash the foam a little bit where the control box and battery cover stick out of the sides. This is true with many of the fitted cases out there, as they are made mostly for acoustic models with nice, smooth profiles. The inside of the case is basically styrofoam with a thin cloth covering. Just squish it a little with your fingers in the tight spots.

Even the ABS cases like the Gators and such can have this problem. I've found I have to stick with the light weight rectangular cases to allow the squishability. A traditional fitted (vinyl covered wood shaped like a mandolin) hard case has no styrofoam, so you're stuck. For any case you choose, make sure you can mold the inside a bit with your fingers to fit the electronics in.

This one will definitely fit with appropriate squishing:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...lin?sku=540067

It says Fender on the outside, which kind of sucks, but it fits the FS-E perfectly. If you look around you can probably find it without the Fender logo, as I'm pretty sure it's just a generic case.

P.S. A word of warning about the FS-E. Be very gentle when you change batteries. The little cover has very tiny plastic hinge pins that will break if you try to cram the battery in hard. Make sure the wires are well tucked in and the battery is fully in the compartment before you close the cover. It's easier to get French bread in a Chinese restaurant than to get a replacement battery box from MK.
    Last edited by Tim2723; Apr-04-2009 at 4:39am.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Interesting. My MK Legacy FSE shipped new from folkmusician.com with a "Guardian" case, which is a good fit. I just tried the MK in my Ovation Adamas case and it fits like a glove; it's perfect. This is a great case, and the only reason I won't house the MK in this case is because the opposite is not true - the Ovation won't fit within the Guardian case. My el cheapo Fender mando came with some sort of generic hardshell case, and only the Fender fits within it.

No specific comments as to their mando case, but Gator is generally a very solid case. I searched high and low for a case for my Danelectro long scale baritone guitar, and the Gator was the one.

Destroyer of Mandolins

Tim,

I believe my 'Fender' case is the generic offering of the Gaurdian. It's one of those that shows up with a lot of different logos silk-screened to the side of it. It's like the way TLK hard cases show up with 'Gold Tone' and 'Epiphone' on them. I'm not surprised that the Gaurdian would be a good fit now that I think about it.

I just threw my FS-E into my Ovation case and you're right! I hadn't thought of that, but it does fit.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Destroyer of Mandolins

Double clicked. Sorry.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Interesting. My MK Legacy FSE shipped new from folkmusician.com with a "Guardian" case, which is a good fit.
    Same here. I like the Guardian case and I'm surprised to hear it didn't fit his FSE.

At first I was a tad concerned that when the latches are closed, it seems to be pressing on the top of the mandolin (specifically, the bridge). But it's a good snug fit and I suppose that's better than the instrument being loose inside the case. I just have to keep in mind that the case is just to protect from dings and scratches. I would not want to stack any weight on the case or put any outside pressure/force on it.

The Guardian case's padding is soft enough and the fuzzy lining inside has enough play that I would think there's some room for small tolerance differences between mandolins. But I have noticed that it's a tight enough fit that I can't get the mandolin in there with the strap on.

Destroyer of Mandolins

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    I like the Guardian case and I'm surprised to hear it didn't fit his FSE.
    If you mean me, then I didn't explain well. Sorry. The Gaurdian fits. It's the hardshell formed cases like the TKL plywood ones that are a problem, at least those I've tried. They don't have enough wiggle room inside to let the electronics in.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user