Thread: Who uses the Roland AC-60 Acoustic Amp?

Default Who uses the Roland AC-60 Acoustic Amp?

I got one of these amps for christmas and I love it. I'm just curious what some other folks think about this little amp.
    Mike Costello
    Long Island, NY

Blonde Collings MT
    Manuel Rodriguez Cedar Top Classical Guitar
    Taylor 414CE Guitar

Default Re: Who uses the Roland AC-60 Acoustic Amp?

I have had that amp for about 5 yrs...it sounds great....love the carrying case and all the options in this tiny amp. It really is a great little amp for acoustic instruments....its a keeper.

I have combined mine with other gear via the back panel connections to a CD player,
    a Stereo Sub Mixer on input, and a KCW Powered Subwoofer on output, to use my Guitar synth modules all the way down to the Bass sounds ,

and take it out as a handy monitor amp and have 2 instruments plugged each in their own channel.
    A) magnetic pickup .. & B) the Schertler XLR plug into the Mic channel
    on occasions such as today..

a set one down, pick the other up, easy swap..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

For small acoustic gigs, my four piece band will plug in a large diaphragm condenser into the mic input and put the amp on a speaker stand for our PA. It does a beautifully balanced job!

The other day, I plugged my dobro in to play with a loud cajun group. My Roland AC 60 served as my monitor and we put a line out into the mixing board.

Great amp! Love it!

And it also has an effects loop> a mono line plugging in to a multi effects box, and it's output back in again to the power amps in the AC-60.

I have a Yamaha DG & AG stomp its instrument in and stereo outputs work nicely , either or..

so Schertler pickup for example goes into the Mic input then out to The AG for the various delays and reverbs in it, then back into the amp at a bit higher level, if desired ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Destroyer of Mandolins

Within its class, the Roland AC-60 is among the most versatile and flexable of all acoustic amps. Buy with confidence. It's a good product. A very good product. If I had to live with just one amp, it would probably be an AC-60. I can busk with it, plug it into a 200 kilowatt stage, and everything in between. The only one I like more is the old Crate version, but they don't make that anymore.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Another vote for the AC-60. Quite versatile and pleasant tone.

Agree with everyone else: it's a great amp that I've have used for mando and vocal in a quartet set-up, each player with his own amp. Wonderful natural acoustic sound. I mic the mando (A-3) with an SM57, though I'm thinking of spending the money (gulp!) for a Dyn-M because it's difficult (for me, anyway) to stay close enough to the SM57 while I play to prevent the mando from getting lost among the plugged in guitar, electric violin, and fretless jazz bass. (Any suggestions, or should I just fork over the cash for the Dyn-M?)

I used it today with the Dyn-M and a fiddle playing through the second channel for a Tartan Day gig. Filled a nice small hall and blended well with two other amped fiddles, piano, acoustic bass and guitar.Very reliable and easy to lug around. I would second the Dyn-M for sure.
    Bink Williams

Quote Originally Posted by goconnorr304 View Post
    Agree with everyone else: it's a great amp that I've have used for mando and vocal in a quartet set-up, each player with his own amp. Wonderful natural acoustic sound. I mic the mando (A-3) with an SM57, though I'm thinking of spending the money (gulp!) for a Dyn-M because it's difficult (for me, anyway) to stay close enough to the SM57 while I play to prevent the mando from getting lost among the plugged in guitar, electric violin, and fretless jazz bass. (Any suggestions, or should I just fork over the cash for the Dyn-M?)
    Could try a condenser mic, Carvin has one for not too much, they sound good and give you more output than the 57.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Could try a Rolls personal Monitor and earbuds or other headphones so you can hear yourself better .. [the headphone jack in the amp is instead of the speaker output
    The little PM 50 goes between the Mic and the amp's mic input, so the monitor headphones are in addition to the speaker output, to the room.]

you heard a board recording mix with no 'you' , or one from out in front, to confirm what you think you don't hear in the monitors?

could be fine out in front, but just monitor on the floor cannot be hearing yourself well ..
    Last edited by mandroid; Apr-06-2009 at 6:53pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Coincidentally I heard a four piece bluegrass band the other night using one with a large diaphragm condenser. They where outside in a courthouse square and I was surprised at how full it sounded. It was the perfect volume for what they where doing. One of the best Dobro players I've ever heard and he smoked on the mandolin also.