Thread: 5 string nut width

Default 5 string nut width

Has anybody out there got a 5 string that you could measure the nut width on? I've got a partially completed project in my shop that was destined to be a mini guitar, but it never got finished. I'm thinking that with a minimum of work it could be converted into a 5 string mandola,(16.625" scale length) but I'd love to get some input on what's an appropriate width. At the moment it's 1.3/8". How about it, can anyone help? Thanks,
    Eric.

Default Re: 5 string nut width

I use 1 1/4" - 1 3/8" depending on customer's request. I like 1 1/4" myself.

Thanks, John, that's just what I needed. And, might I add, your instruments are a major inspiration! Beautiful work!
    Eric.

1-1/4 Inch is a good width. Some prefer 1-3/16 Inch as well.
    John
    www.jlsmithmandolins.com

I'm at 1 3/16" as I based it off my Regal Octofone.

Is it that noticeable going from 1\4" to 3\16"? Guess I was fairly clueless about nut width.....without having gone into researching that part yet, I had assumed it would be a little wider than either of them. My natural tendency then is to go with the smaller size since my fingers/hands are reasonably small. I guess even then if you were to try to bend strings a long ways you might want something 1/4" or even bigger?