Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spankin' New Arches A Oval

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

Default Re: Spankin' New Arches A Oval

I just heard John Goodin's audio of the Pomeroy Mountain Rebel. Very, very nice. And, yes, good playing, too!

I like the size of the Pom', that's really interesting, seeing it next to the A model!

Goooood stuff out there, folks. Wooooo.

For all of that, it's still the walnut Arches that has ensnared my imagination...

Play on...!

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

NOTE to the Wise; Allow for 1-2 days extra shipping/receiving time for Moab, Utah! Moab is one the prettiest spots in this wonderful Country, but it's VERY remote.

I wanted to send Chris a set of FT74's to set up the mando with. I've had to adjust a couple other mando's for the wound, .015 A course.

I have had good experience with USPS, so I sent them to him using Priority Shipping. Usually 2-3 days. I've even had stuff come to me overnight with the Priority option.

Yesterday was Day 3, and I got a note from Chris that they hadn't arrived yet.

Let's hope they show up today. I am starting to get twitchy waiting for my new Baby!

Not to rub it in Gerry, but I received the birds-eye version that I ordered yesterday. (though I live just a few hours from Moab) Certainly a lot of mando for the money. I'll hold off of an extended review as we've (the mando and I) only been together for a handful of hours. But I can easily say that it is the best impulse purchase that I have ever made!

I hope you see yours soon

Joe, Not at all! Please, post away.

I'd love to see some 'Home Pics', maybe a soundbite?

Most definitely looking forward to a Player's Review.

I knew I'd have to be patient when I decided to send the strings to Chris. I wanted him to do the set up for me. I ruined, and ended up replacing the nut on my F4 the first time I tried mod'ing it for the bigger string.

Glad to hear yours made it safe & sound.

We anxiously await your report!

Yesterday's email Back & Forth:

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 3:23 PM
    To: Chris Baird
    Subject: Cassidy Flat Top

Hey Chris,

Did the strings make it today?

Fingers Crossed,

Gerry

--------------------------------------------

Yes! Finally got them, will ship tomorrow, wed.

Chris

Woo-Hoo! She should be on her way to me, today!

The mando is here, safe & sound.

I agree with Joe, A WHOLE lotta mando for the money. What a gorgeous piece this thing is.

I haven't played it too much, yet. I took it out of the case and the tuning had dropped about a quarter tone. I checked it again a few minutes later and it had changed yet again, so I am gonna let her sit in the case for a few hours before I start tweaking the tuners.

I played it a bit and the fingerboard feels like butter! Very slippery. The A & E ring like bells. I am already loving that.

As for looks, there seems to be a couple bearclaw marks in the top. Is that common in red spruce? Beautiful! Pictures really don't do natural finished tops any justice, whatsoever.

The walnut figuring is outta this world! The 3D is amazing. I have it in natural lighting and it just shows all it's dimensions like a peacock fanning it's feathers.

More to come...

Seem to be talking to myself here, as of late, but I just gotta say: The little Flat Top is far and way the best impulse buy I've ever done.

I sat with it a couple hours this morning and am just amazed by, first, how loud it is. The Red Spruce/Walnut combo certainly seems to be a good one for volume. This lil' one is gonna be killing some banjos!

The really good stuff is how buttery the fingerboard plays, up & down. The A & E courses sound to be made of quartz crystal.

My next step is to learn to play better so as to do it justice.

Bottom line: This thing is a beauty in all ways possible.

Well arcopizz, it's sad to talk to yourself, so I'll chime in It's great to hear you love your new Arches A Oval! I'm on the list for one of the next batch (a curly maple b&s example)

Moab is one of my favorite mountain bike destinations & the idea of a great mandolin being made there is very cool indeed. Can't wait to get mine & I'd love to see some pics of your walnut!

That instrument gets a very quick response from me: WOW!!!
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Glad to hear you're loving your new Arches, Gerry. You have to post some sound clips or video when you get the chance, I'd love to hear what it sounds like.

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Thanks for the 'Kudos' everyone.

29er: You, my friend, have a VERY nice instrument coming your way. I'm thinking you are going to be very happy with what you get. There are pic's of mine on the first page of this thread. I will try to get more taken, soon.

Jill, We just moved across Country this past year and I don't have my studio set back up yet. I just got another call from a friend that wants some tracks done for a song of his, so I think I am gonna have to concentrate on getting it set up again. I'll post some samples here as soon as I do.

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

Gerry, I've been watching but 'on the fly', not time to say much.

Further congratulations on your new Arches Flat-Top and best wishes for much great joy
    and music with it.

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

Mine arrives on Wednesday... yeah, I gave in to the inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by RichM View Post
    Mine arrives on Wednesday... yeah, I gave in to the inevitable.
    Alright! Way cool! Which one did you get?

Man, don't dread it one iota. You're gonna love it.

Gerry, ya gotta ad it to the signature now with the rest of your posse....

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    Gerry, ya gotta ad it to the signature now with the rest of your posse....

Cheers,
    Jill
    "Ta-Da!!!"

It's not at the top because of any alphabetical form. Just since receiving it this past Saturday, I do believe this little one has already become my main player.

Quote Originally Posted by arcopizz View Post
    Alright! Way cool! Which one did you get?

Man, don't dread it one iota. You're gonna love it.
    Oh, I don't dread--just gotta make some room for it!

I bought the zebrawood one. I've always liked the look of zebrawood, and I used to have a wonderful zebrawood guitar that had an aggressive, percussive tone to it-- a great fit for a mandolin. I'll be happy to report out when I get mine.

(Interestingly enough, the very zebrawood guitar I'm referring to is now for sale in the classifieds. I'm not the one selling it, so NFI for me, but it is a heck of a guitar.)

Okay, go figure... my Arches flattop was scheduled to arrive tomorrow, but for some reason, showed up today. Honestly, that has never happened to me before, but thanks, FedEx Ground! I've been enjoying its company for the last couple of hours, so here are my first impressions:

Fit and finish are top-notch. It is much prettier in person than it is in the photos (and it looks pretty nice in the photos). Extremely clean construction, very well executed lacquer finish. Sides and back are zebrawood; it has more color variation and figure than it appears in the photos, where it looks sort of flat. This is a very attractive instrument. Having had Mid-Mos, Flatirons, and a Gypsy, I got kind of used to flattop=simple cosmetics. Kind of nice to have a flattop with some sex appeal.

Tone is very balanced and mid-rangey, which I would expect from a flattop. More sustain than most archtops, but very good note separation. A very "clean" sound. With my normal playing attack, It had good volume and a sweet voice. With a more aggressive attack, the volume got a lot louder and the tone a bit nastier. I could push it pretty hard without distortion. I don't think Loar owners need to worry about being drowned out, but this little guy has some real power.

Action came set low and very comfortable (and very nearly in tune, too). Kind of wondering if I could take the action up a little and get even bigger tone; it could come up a bit and still be very comfortable.

Summary: I'm very pleased with this mandolin. It strikes me as a very versatile instrument. While it might not have quite enough guts for a really loud bluegrass jam, it has a loud, clear, balanced tone that would work very well in ensemble and duo playing; it certainly has enough volume to stand out in acoustic ensembles, and you can attack pretty hard without compromising the tone.

Additionally, this is an exceptionally well-made instrument, with an eye to detail. While I have not owned an Arches instrument previously, I've been aware of Chris Baird's reputation for clean builds and attention to detail. This certainly comes through: clean lines, well-selected woods, tight joins, mirror finish.

I'm excited to see Chris, along with Don Paine and a few others offer good quality flattop mandolins. It's wonderful to be able to own a mandolin of this quality for under $1000.

Congrats, Rich!

You definitely have more flat top experience than me. Your comparison was a good read. Thanks for that info.

Mine is definitely louder than both of my arch tops. The sustain...hmmm... I would call it similar to the arch tops (both are oval holes).

I'd love to see more pics of that zebrawood. It looked pretty awesome on Chris's website.

Enjoy!

Anybody have further impressions of these to share?
    2004 Apitius F-5 Classic

Ha! I FINALLY found my camera. Thank Heaven for small miracles as it was down in the basement, amidst the 20, or so boxes still unpacked after our move.

I snapped a few "Home" pics of this little guy.

Some top, back, H/S, etc. and, of course the obligatory shot of the battle-scarred MandoCafe sticker on the case!

BTW, it's an Eastman F style case, but as you can see the FT fits just fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arches Flat Top June 2009 Whole Edit.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	43746   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arches Flat Top June 200900 Half Edit.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	43747   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arches Flat Top June 2009 Whole Back Edit.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	43748  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arches Flat Top June 2009 Headstock Edit.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	43749   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arches Flat Top June 2009 Case Edit.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	43750   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arches Flat Top June 2009 Back No Flash Edit.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	43751  

Last edited by Gerry Cassidy; Jun-26-2009 at 10:47am. Reason: Illiteracy!

Blog Entries

Wow, that is one nice looking mandolin.