Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Music That Touches Your Soul

I've just read the Nickel Creek thread in the rock section and this weekend I've been on a Neil Young CD spree. Listening to a lot of old NY CD's and reading the, NC are gods/NC are horrible posts, made me wonder-who's music & songs touch your soul? And why? I don't want this to turn into a best/terrible flame war. This is about music you love, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about it. I'll go first, I'm sure I'll think of more later. Neil Young, almost everything he's done. Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler, again, almost everything they've done. Bill Monroe, too many to mention, both songs & tunes. Andrew Gold, "Learning The Game." The Rice Brothers, "This Old House." AKUS, "Sleep On." Triumph, "Lay It On The Line." Claire Lynch,"Sweetheart Darling Of Mine", "Missionary Ridge." Patty Lovelss, "Sorrowful Angels." String Driven Thing, "Take Me To The Circus."
    Why? I think that I can relate to these songs in a particular way, #and the performers make you feel like you know a part of them throught their songs. I mean, with Neil Young you just know he's exposing a part of himself, emotionally to the world. Or just because it's done with an attiude of fun.

Darn near all of the music that really touches my soul is classical. Bach's B minor Mass, Brahms' Requiem, Orff's Carmina Burana, Beethoven's 9th "Ode to Joy" were all fun to perform, but the best of all was Handel's Messiah. That piece of music got to me. The "Hallalujah Chorus" is stirring, but it was "He was despised" and "All we like sheep" that got me right in the guts. Although I'd been raised a Christian, it wasn't until then I understood it.

It's all choir stuff. I didn't play mandolin back in the day, and I'm sure I couldn't keep up on the Baroque music if I tried it on mando today. Come to think of it, I couldn't keep up on any of it on mandolin.
    Brian T. Walker
    Down beside the Alamo
    In the Lone Star State

"Ignorance is when you don't know something and somebody finds it out."
    -- Kenneth "Jethro" Burns

I wonder how many of us started mandolin after hearing the first David Grisman Quintet album?

4. The following members say thank you to SternART for this post:

Genesis by Jorma
    too many g.dead/garcia songs to name em all, but bird song is a real soul toucher
    a number of james taylor tunes
    and though i hate to admit i participate in a cliche- father and son by cat stevens gets me every time. there are many more, but those come to mind right now.

Thanks, SternART, for crystallizing my thoughts. I was completely blown away by that first album. Although I didn't start playing mandolin until a couple years ago, that music knocked on the door of my spirit then and still does. A copy is in my car at all times.

As for touching my soul - a LOT of music does that to me - that's why I've stayed in the business so long. Everything from Muleskinner Blues to Beethoven's Missa Solemnis.

My favorite tune right now is "I've Forgotten You" from the live Rhonda Vincent album. LOVE IT!
    Milan

stormy monday (yeah, i know another cliche) kinda gets me too!

Quote Originally Posted by (SternART @ Nov. 14 2005, 00:25)
    I wonder how many of us started mandolin after hearing the first David Grisman Quintet album?
    That was what did it for me!
    (This space available)

Outside of the mandolin realm, I've found a lot of really touching, incredible music from the Waterlily Acoustic catalog. Here's the link, this label puts forth some incredible music.
    http://www.waterlilyacoustics.com/
    My personal favorites are "Saltanah" and "Tabula Rasa".

Even as a kid growing up i was a bluegrasser. i still have and play my dad's '47 J-45. i like bluegras and roots based music by far more than any other genre but i would not limit my musical influences to bluegrass. My greatest influences outside the bluegrass world are joni mitchell, bruce cockburn, neil young, bob wills, stevie ray, beatles, mozart, bach, john clotrane, the greatful dead, jerry jeff walker, nitty gritty dirt band, michael hedges, django, and countless no name acts that i have heard here and there or happened across at a jam. its cool how so many different music forms can stir the soul. There has to be some common aesthic attribute that all these different forms of music have that evokes the same emotional response in me. now we are headed into philosophy to explain what that characteristic is. For example, the Hindus call it raza. ok ok, i'll get off the tangent. i will say that i cannot think of any musicians that have "stirred my soul' across different genres of music with the exception of the Dawg.
    It doesn't matter . . . I'm going to WINFIELD!!!!!

Little Feat - Rock and Roll Doctor
    Allman Brothers - Don't Want You No More/Not My Cross To Bear
    Leon Russell - The Ballad of Mad Dogs and Englishmen
    The Beatles - She Said She Said
    Aretha Franklin - Dr. Feelgood
    Ry Cooder - Alimony
    Stanley Brothers - Rank Strangers
    George Jones - The Window Up Above
    G.F. Handel - Messiah
    Ricky Skaggs/KT - Walls Of Time
    Cream - Crossroads
    Jeff Beck - 'Cause We've Ended As Lovers
    Ray Charles - What'd I Say
    Doc Watson, David Grisman, Sam Bush, Norman Blake, Bill Monroe, The Stanley Brothers, Old & In The Way, Vassar Clements, Bobby Hicks, Tony Rice, Kentucky Colonels, Jimmy Martin - most of what they've put out.
    Clark Beavans

Blog Entries

Grew up listening to my dad's early Beatles, rockabilly, and folkie albums. Nothing gets me like hearing Roy Orbison's voice, Ian and Sylvia's beautiful harmonies, Jim Croce's songwriting, or hearing Mike Nesmith (w/ the 1st National Band) sing "JoAnne." John Lennon singing "Mother" or "How Can You Sleep?" or "God." Ricky Nelson's "Garden Party." Doug Kershaw "Get a Little Dirt on Your Hands." Kenny Rogers and 1st Edition "Ruby" Those are all songs from my childhood that flood me w/ nostaligia and "touch the soul."

As far as the bluegrass side of things, I first started picking at 15 when I saw the newly reformed New Grass Revival in '82 or 83. Started picking banjo on the spot. As far as the guys who really made me want to mandolin, those honors have to go to Sam Bush and Mike Compton. Sam Bush for my earliest mandolin exposure through NGR (especially those earlier Curtis Burch/Courtney Johnson albums) and most importantly, his Late as Usual solo outing. And Mike Compton for all that early NBB work that I loved as a teen and for taking the time now to share his knowledge and time w/ me.

Jim

There's a lot of music I like, but two CDs that, start to finish, I still find "deeply moving," even after decades of listening are: Rubisa Patrol by Rubisa Patrol (Art Lande, Mark Isham) and My Song by Keith Jarrett. For me, Jarrett and many of Lande's solos are like listening-in on someone's thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by (altair38 @ Nov. 13 2005, 23:26)
    Darn near all of the music that really touches my soul is classical...
    Me too. You should swing on by the "Classical" section on occasion, Brian, and don't fear the baroque on your mandolin.

The most enduring of my favorites must be the Sibelius symphonies, especially 2 and 5. 17th-c. Italian music a la Monteverdi, Castello, Marini, Valentini, Landi, Piccinini, Kapsberger, Corbetta, etc. is always there and really gets me going too. The vihuela music of 16th-c. Spain does something magical to me, as does Sephardic music from that time and place. Calace's unaccompanied mandolin preludes are still really exciting to me (in spite of their gratuitous schmaltz); I like some of his chamber and orchestral stuff quite a bit too.

old time gospel stuff.....the new del mccoury band cd is awesome too

One recording that touched my heart is the MP3 of "El Cumbanchero" by Ruth Roshan on the MP3 page. I liked the piece so much I wrote to her and bought a copy of her CD, which is equally wonderful.

Is this the same "El Cumbanchero" that a guy named Jesse McReynolds plays...!?? (well, I ain't too good to ask!) Moose

Any SRV from Austin City Limits
    Gary Moore's first live blues DVD
    Stormy Monday by the Allmans...
    I just love when people are so into the music that it just flows from them...In sports they call that "the zone".
    PeacE
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by (Moose @ Nov. 14 2005, 13:31)
    Is this the same "El Cumbanchero" that a guy named Jesse McReynolds plays...!??
    I don't know, but here is a link
    El Cumbenchero

It's kind of a cliche answer, but there are parts of Mozart's Requiem that are just
    overwhelming emotionally. That one leaps to mind, it's harder for me to pick things
    outside of classical. I tend to love songs for a while and then move on. But among
    those with more lasting appeal is Dylan's Lay Down Your Weary Tune.
    Mark McGlone

Thanks, Mike! - Moose.

Strength in Numbers' first album, start to finish. Truth be told, a televised performance of theirs many years ago probably planted the seed to take up the mando. Didn't realize it at the time, just knew that they absolutely stopped me in my tracks. In the classical arena, Finlandia by Sibelius gets me every time.

R

Appropos of the link I posted, there is a TON of great mandolin playing in every conceivabe style on the MP3 page. Definately worth checking out.

After spending 15 minutes thinking about songs and typing a post the cat walked across my keyboard and wiped the whole thing out. I'll never remember them all but here goes.

Grateful Dead: Ripple, Brokedown Palace, So Many Roads, Brown Eyed Women, Bertha
    The Band: The Weight, It Makes No Difference
    Jethro Tull: Budapest
    Rolling Stones: Sway, Tumbling Dice, Moonlight Mile
    The Doors: The Crystal Ship
    Pirates of the Mississippi: Feed Jake
    Jimi Hendrix: Little Wing, Angel, One Rainy Wish, Spanish Castle Magic
    Rod Stewart: Maggie Mae
    Bill Monroe: Uncle Pen, Back Up and Push, Molly and Tenbrooks
    James Taylor: Sweet Baby James
    Robert Mirabal: Warrior Magician, Owl Song
    Bob Dylan: Knockin on Heaven's Door
    Byrds: You Ain't Goin' Nowhere (by Dylan)
    Miracles: You've Really Got a Hold on Me
    Temptations: All I Need, You're My Everything
    Kit Kats: Let's Get Lost on a Country Road
    Blake/Rice: Last Train From Poor Valley
    The Dells: Always Together, There Is, Oh What a Night
    Grisman/Garcia: Arabia
    Just might get some sleep tonight

http://www.geocities.com/tenn_jed_1999/

Lots of good replies, keep them coming. You've reminded me of lots of stuff that I've forgotten about, Vivaldi, Horowitz, Beethoven, among others. Some others I've remembered- Wishbone Ash, Rare Bird, Poco, Sonny Stitt, Elliot Randall.

"The Model Church" from the first "Bluegrass Album Band" project, Jerry's Douglas's "sitar" dobro solo on "Little Sadie"...
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues