Thread: Mandolin book

I keep reading all these post about problems practicing and what not. And it seems like the work is ending after the lesson. I havnt had a lesson in my life and i know most of the chopping, scales, and a whole lot more. Im also in a bluegrass band without any teacher. I suggest to get a teaching book and using it everyday. I suggest the mandolin primer book. It is easy and it comes with a free learning cd.
    Heres a link to the site where you can buy it.
    [URL=http://www.cvls.com]

Why don't you write and publish your own guide book? We could all use a new slant on learning the mandolin, especially from an experienced musician such as yourself. And I betchya there are plenty of photographers and artists in your area who would love to help you with illustrations, etc.
    You are only young once, but you can be immature forever.

One of my all time favorite mandolin players not only has never had lessons, he never used a teaching book either. He can't read music, does not know chord names outside of major, minor and seventh and does not know hardly any formal theory. But he can play any piece of music he hears and he can do the most interesting and beautiful arrangements and improvizations I have ever heard. I have had a significant amount of music training, I know a fair amount of theory and can read music reasonably well. I think formal music education is great stuff, but I would trade it all off for being able to play as well as he can.

and who might that be?

Quote Originally Posted by
    and who might that be?
    I prefer not to say, on the off chance it might cause him even the slightest embarrasment, even though I don't think it should. He is the only mando example I know of in that category, but there are a lot of musicians out there like that, especially in roots music. I have met some great guitarists, fiddlers and banjo players who don't read music and know almost no formal theory. I'm sure many of the past greats in blues, rock & roll, old-time, folk and bluegrass were in that category also.

His initials wouldn't be C.B. would they? #

GVD
    GVD

Please, he's trying not to embarrass Chuck Berry, and then you practically come out and say it!
    You can't have everything--and if you did, where would you put it?