Thread: what picks favored for tenor playing?

Default what picks favored for tenor playing?

Just wondering what thickness of pick is favored by tenor guitar players? Similar to what you'd use for a tenor banjo (I use Clayton .50mm for tenor banjo)? Heavier than that? Just curious.

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Default Re: what picks favored for tenor playing?

I guess it depends on the sound you want from the guitar. I get softer, mellower sounds from mine so I use a lighter, larger pick (tri-cornered). Having said that, I usually just pick up one of my instruments and play it with the first pick out of my pocket...

I use Wegan 2.5 mm gypsy jazz picks. They give you a very fat, round tone and generally make everything louder. At one time I used the Wegan M200 for mandolin playing and the GP250 for guitar but have since slimmed down to one pick for all.
    David
    2010 Gayle Mandonator

"Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese." GK Chesterton

I have used from a very light pick like you mention to very heavy triangles like Pro Plecs. It depends on the sound you want, style you play, instrument you have, etc.

Try a bunch and record the results. Pick the best sounding.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Blog Entries

I have a Regal Rex tenor guitar, and I use a very thick pick on it. I haven't found what I really like yet. I presently use a Dugain horn pick, mostly because I already had it. But it is the closest to the sound I like on the tenor.

http://www.dugainpicks.com/
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Thanks for all the replies! It looks like I'm going to get the chance to try out a Tenortone in a few weeks, so I'll just make sure I have an assortment of picks with me to see which one feels best. I play irish trad so ease of treble/triplet playing is one of my main requirements, combined with nice volume and tone. I've been listening to the clip of Angelina Carberry playing "The Princess Royal" on the Fletcher Instruments website, sounds awesome of course - I'm guessing there'll be some tenor guitar content on the next CD she records..

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Herco medium thumbpick.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I like the Dunlop Tortex 1.14. Got used to it playing mandolin, and found I get better tone with it on tenor as well, as opposed to a thinner guitar pick.

I shelled out for a Wegen once, but I couldn't see what all the hype was about. I like the little holes, but the sound just didn't do it for me. I think the material is a little smoother than I like. The Dunlops have a sort of textured feel which seems to effect how it hits the strings. A subtle difference for sure, but being that I prefer them anyway, and the fact that they cost 1/30th what the Wegen did, I stuck with the Dunlops.
    James