Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bowlback cases

Default Bowlback cases

Hi Guys,

I figured this might belong in equipment, but this crowd would be much more knowledgeable. Im looking for a replacement case for my pandini, from its original hardshell that it came in. Im looking for something a little more snug, but the eastman fiberglass cases have been a little too small. I recently had the privilege to meet and play wtih Carlo Aonzo here in upstate New York, and talked to him about some of the equipment that he uses. He has a black foam case that fits the pandini perfectly. I looked long and hard over the internet trying to find this case. The closes thing I have found is a case at Hobgoblin music under the ashbury name. Do you guys have any experience with this brand? Do you have suggestions for another brand case? Thanks for your time guys.
    Langdell G5
    Pandini Neapolitan

Default Re: Bowlback cases

Hello, Jeff.

I'm a bit puzzled by your assessment of Eastman cases, as I know that illustrious Cafe-denizen Joe Brent keeps his Pandini in such a case-- in shine-in-the-dark, metallic green . I would ask him without further ado, then move on to other alternatives.

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Kingham makes nice custom cases

Fliss

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Chu View Post
    The closes thing I have found is a case at Hobgoblin music under the ashbury name. Do you guys have any experience with this brand? Do you have suggestions for another brand case? Thanks for your time guys.
    That Hobgoblin case is Korean-made, and also available under different names from a few other places. I have two of them, currently housing my Embergher and my Ceccherini, and they are fine, sturdy cases at a decent price. Nothing very fancy about them but they protect my mandolins well. They are made for reasonably large-bodied bowls, such as Calaces or Suzukis, and mine have quite a bit of slack. Pandini bowls are on the large side, I believe, but I suspect that won't be a problem. What will be a problem is the headstock if you have one with the decorative bishop's staff finial. They won't fit.

The fancier alternative is the Eastman fiberglass case, which is more than twice the price, and has less space in the case. Won't work with the hooked headstock either.

Martin

Hmmm, ill have to check in with Joe. I purchased a eastman case about a year ago, and there was a little too much cushion. I tried ripping out the cushion and putting in my own, but was afraid that the area by the neck was forcing the actual fiberglass apart. Maybe a ruler will fix all this... ill check back later! thanks for your help.
    Langdell G5
    Pandini Neapolitan

I spent quite a bit of time trying to find a hardshell case for my Pandini since mine came with a soft case and it made me quite nervous. The Korean case was way too small and the Eastman was on the tight side since my Pandini is larger than standard Calace mandolins.

Carlo bought his foam case from Japan and a few years ago it cost him, as i recall, over $400 and I think it would be even more now plus shipping. he likes it because it has straps and is very light for traveling.

My final solution was (not so oddly enough) a case that Sr. Pandini made for his mandolins which works quite nice. I am not sure why yours does not fit the Pandini case. The mandolin seems to fit quite nicely in the case. I am not sure what the problem is.

However, if you are dissatisfied with your Pandini case then I would check out a custom case by Kingham but i warn you that it will be pretty pricey, prob around $600-700.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Mar-22-2009 at 8:50pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I just checked the Hobgoblin site and that foam Ashbury case looks similar to the one that Carlo uses but I highly doubt that the Pandini will fit. You can see it here: Ashbury bowlback case. It actually does look pretty decent. You could possibly ask the folks at Hobgoblin what their return policy it and maybe you could try it. I would think it may just cost you the return shipping but it might be worth it if it is what you want.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Mine Pandini fits well in the Pandini hard shell case but there's no way it would fit in my Eastman case. I kept the Eastman for an old Suzuki bowlback. The Pandini was so tight in the Eastman that I just didn't want to risk it. Joe's seems to work so he apparently either has a differently sized instrument or he cut the case's padding away substantially.

Hey Guys,

First off, i figured you might get a kick out of this photo. Carlo passed through Saratoga Springs twice, mid tour.

Case wise, i got my pandini to fit in the eastman case i bought. I had to remove the neck padding on the roof of the case, and had to slim it down. It is still a very tight fit, maybe it the cushion will stretch out a bit. I heard back from the hobgoblin guys, and they measured the case. I havent measured the mandolin yet, but here are the measurements for those interested.

Overall Length - 26"
    Body Length - 13.5"
    Width @ Widest point - 7.75"
    Depth @ Deepest point - 5.25"
    The top is also recessed 1.5" all the way around
    There is 3/8" padding around the body cavity that allows a little bit of
    play also.

do these measurements look like they would work with your mandos?
    Langdell G5
    Pandini Neapolitan

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I just checked the Hobgoblin site and that foam Ashbury case looks similar to the one that Carlo uses but I highly doubt that the Pandini will fit. You can see it here: Ashbury bowlback case. It actually does look pretty decent.
    Thanks for the link, Jim -- I have to say that this is not the Korean bowlback case I was talking about in my previous post in this thread. Hobgoblin used to sell the Korean ones, so I assumed that Jeff was referring to those, but clearly I was wrong. Still, I agree with Jim that the "new" Hobgoblin case also doesn't look fit for a Pandini headstock.

Martin

Yes, Martin... I thought the same thing. The Korean hardshell that Hobgoblin and Lark in the Morning used to carry was adequate and fit small instruments but not the Pandini. This hard foam case does look interesting tho.

I have two Eastman cases BTW and my Embergher is in one and the Calace in the other.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Binder View Post
    Mine Pandini fits well in the Pandini hard shell case but there's no way it would fit in my Eastman case. I kept the Eastman for an old Suzuki bowlback. The Pandini was so tight in the Eastman that I just didn't want to risk it. Joe's seems to work so he apparently either has a differently sized instrument or he cut the case's padding away substantially.
    Nah, I just sawed off part of the bowl. Fits great now, plus now I can store a meatball sub and a bag of chips right in the bowl for later.

i was referring to the hard foam ashbury case at hobgoblin, i dont think its a hard shell. That sounds like a good idea Joe. Maybe take off the top, and put it on a hinge, so you can open it up at the concert and have the sub during intermission! haha.
    Langdell G5
    Pandini Neapolitan

Quote Originally Posted by joebrent View Post
    Nah, I just sawed off part of the bowl. Fits great now, plus now I can store a meatball sub and a bag of chips right in the bowl for later.
    That's a great idea. I always get hungry when I watch the tiny TV in the headstock.

FYI - I am thinking about selling my Kingham case which was designed for an Embergher. The Pandini won't fit in it. Thought I would throw that out there in case any Embergher people are looking for a case.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Binder View Post
    That's a great idea. I always get hungry when I watch the tiny TV in the headstock.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I just bought a scratch-and-dent Eastman case in radioactive green and, just for a kick, tried to fit my Pandini in it -- it still doesn't work unless I want the lid foam piece to put pressure on the top.

BTW, Joe (and others) a Panini will fit in the case and might even stay warm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Recently found this seller on eBay who has a couple of styles of hardshell bowlback cases for reasonable prices:

Case #1 - looks like a Korean made one I have.

Case #2 - more like the old Harptone cases, I imagine heavier than #1 -- Actually it looks similar to the one that Hobgoblin sells for $105.

I have not seen these in person, so caveat emptor.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Nov-25-2009 at 9:27am.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Both seem pretty good, and certainly adequate for the stated purpose. The Harptone seems unduly bulky, having the same height throughout (as it seems to me, at least).

Yet I am (*hint*) on the "giving end", not the "receiving" one, vis-a-vis a certain bowlback case.

Happy Thanksgiving to one and all!

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Here in Japan we have many mandolin case options both online and offline.
    I had really hard time deciding which one to purchase. Shoulder straps and lightweight was a MUST as I usually don't carry heavy things, and lack the physical strength to walk around with a heavy case for a long time... But actually I ended up with a pink Eastman hybrid case, that is quite heavier (1.7kg) than other cases. I couldn't resist the cute pink color and round form!

Anyways cases I found while I looked for my case: Photos left to right

The most standard and simple bowlback case... also very light (900g). $97

Korean made "Super Light Case" comes with 2 shouolder straps. $242

"Pro case" hard and light. 900g. $310

They also have mandola/mandocello variants.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Hmmmm... I Have a Calace mandola that I would love to get a case for. I wrote to Calace but they have not answered me. I wonder if you could send me the url for the palce that sells such things.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Ooh, I saw those two cases on ebay that you mentioned uptopic, Jim. I wondered if anyone here had any personal experience with them! You say that case #1 looks like a Korean one you have. What is that one like? I was more intrigued by it than the other, which seems to have a lot of excess wasted neck space. I am looking for one for my (one and only) bowlback, the Vega that I bought four and a half years ago but only recently started to play on. It needs something that it can be taken out of the house in. I suppose I could just e-mail the seller, and ask for its inside dimensions... anyway, the price is cheap (always attractive). I have also entertained the idea of looking on the bay for a wallhanger or clunker with a semi decent case thrown in! All I have it in now is a soft gig bag (dust protector).

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Hmmmm... I Have a Calace mandola that I would love to get a case for. I wrote to Calace but they have not answered me. I wonder if you could send me the url for the palce that sells such things.
    I would also be interested in a source for a mandola case. I have an American Conservatory bowlback mandola whose original soft case is falling apart.

Barry

I'd just about kill for a mandola case! I'm gigging with a digital TV camera case converted to hold my German bowlback, and while it's nearly bulletproof, it's as big as a barn.

Ha ha... well, at least it's well protected!

I must admit that I'm jonesin' for a bowlback mandola (again)... sigh... maybe some day!

But back to mandolin cases... Does anyone have the dimensions of the Eastman fiberglass one handy? Those are attractive; a little more than I'd hoped to pay, but we'll see what the ebay guy says about the size of his, too. I've got to get something!
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel