Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bowlback cases

Default Re: Bowlback cases

Margriet: Yes, they are prob very similar to those violin cases and are decent in general. I would agree that the shoulder straps and the zippers would be the weakest parts, but for the price and the general availability of cases for our type of mandolins they are a good deal. In the uSA they are even harder to find than in Europe I would think.

A little while ago I wrote to the customer service person at violinking to see if they still have them. I would think other dealers in Europe would import them also.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I just heard from violinking.
    We are out that kind of case, will get more around 2 month
    I guess a few people might have read this thread or there are other bowlheads ou there we don't know of. Anyone else want to fess up? I only bought one and there were at least 4 or 5 on eBay at once.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jim,i went on the next day after your review of the foam case,there were none available..so,i missed out again..i keep putting things off,when i really shouldn't..my mayflower is still in it's old case..but i'm watching violinkings store now..cheers
    "Enjoy every sandwich." Warren Zevon

Facebook
    Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I would think other dealers in Europe would import them also.
    We should find out what the type is.....then we can find ourselves more shops that maybe sell these cases. Is there nothing mentioned at your case, Jim?
    Margriet

I just bought one of the soft cases from ViolinKing for my Washburn. Good case for the money, a better case than just the chipboard models available. Protects the instrument and a good value.

Jim, I am amazed you got a response from them. It was precisely their irritating non-responsiveness to inquiries that put me off Violinking back when I ended up buying an Eastman. I wrote them twice with questions about their (then) offerings, specifically about interior measurements and accessory compartments, and got no reply at all. So I figured screw 'em.

My main complaint with the Eastman was the lack of accessory compartment, and now with this "Pro" case, it looks as though a practically identical unit, likely from the same factory, is available for less.

Oh, well.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

I guess I was either lucky or else they have a more responsive sales person. The person who answered me was Jennifer.

BTW the nice thing about the foam case (aside from the price) is that it has a decent accessory compartment. I am pretty happy with it and would have not bought the hardshell Pandini case ($250) if I knew that this one was available and fit my Pandini.

I think that the Eastman case looks to be better built than the similar one from violinking. There are more options for carrying too, like extra c-rings.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Margriet View Post
    We should find out what the type is.....then we can find ourselves more shops that maybe sell these cases. Is there nothing mentioned at your case, Jim?
    Margriet
    It looks very similar to the picture of the blue one that Aya from Japan posted in post#20.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

An update from the violinking ebay seller. I asked my contact there about the foam cases and she said that they would order some more. She said it would prob be about 2 months to get them in. if anyone is interested, contact Jennifer at Violinking8@aol.com. I will prob order one or two more. it is nice and light, moderately protective and certainly worth the money.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Thank you, Jim. You photos in this thread 30 July. Is the right one made of the case you are talking about now ?
    Margriet

Yes, Margriet. That is the one.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Jim
    I came across two incidents that the lining decoloured and dyed the mandolin.
    I attached the image of the case for your reference. It is similiar to the case that you have uploaded. The case that I mentioned is made in Korean.
    No matter what, just beware that the lining of the case may decolour.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ext bis.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	237.1 KB 
ID:	64912Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Custodia M.o.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	64913

The mandolino
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7955.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	64914

Thanks, K. Wong. The lining of mine is black and I think the case is made in China. Perhaps the best idea would be to line it with some thin material so the wood does not touch the padding, I suppose.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

That's an alarming story, Kasper... It really should not happen :-( There is, of course, the slipshod solution of keeping the mandolin in a (modified, i.e. re-sewn) violin bag, while inside the hard case, but that's too much compensation IMHO for a fundamental flaw in a product. I had never heard of such discoloration; bad chemistry, bad product-design/manufacturing, I guess...

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

I wonder of this happened after the instrument was in the case for a long time or not. Also, many of these cases have no label so it is hard to tell who made it and even where it was made. I am not sure if mine is the same -- a friend of mine has a similar case but he bought it in Japan and it costs about 10 times what mine did.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

On Nov. 14 I emailed "violinking" regarding the foam cases, inquiring about how soon they may be available....I received a reply of "How many do you want?" I indicated that I was interested in two cases...and never got a reply. So much for "customer relations"

Sandy

VIOLINKING's reputation is bad as it gets when it comes to useless and hopeless customer service in ebay. I still wonder how they can survive with such a bad attitude??

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Yes, Margriet. That is the one.

For those interested in these cases, the eBay seller has at least one more (I got the other -- my third) here for $46 + $25 shipping. They usually ship pretty soon and they don't seem to always have them in stock so grab it while you can.

I just checked and the one I got was a Buy It Now and they have one left at that price. They also have another as an auction starting at that same price.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

thanks, Jim.
    Seems to be more interesting for people on your side of the pond; shipping to the Netherlands is $69, more than the case.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

VK has a curious reputation. (And here they are, my homeys from HTex.) I've read the bad things, but bought a hardshell case for a bowlback mandola from them this summer. Perfect! Good communication and fast shipping. Maybe they are reading their bad press.....

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    VK has a curious reputation.
    Gosh... I've barely been away from this forum for a bit, having just started on a high-octane academic job, and I return to find out that... my friends have been talkin' trash about me, mentioning me by my initials alone! Not that I ever claimed my reputation was anything other than curious but still...

It took some scrolling back to dispel my bafflement.

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Aaggh...... I should have know better! There is only one VK in my head and heart, Victor, and that is you. I have always felt a particular sympathy between Texas and Greece. (Why not? What is it like to be so misunderstood?) No βιολί βασιλιάς can hold a κερί to you.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    VK has a curious reputation. (And here they are, my homeys from HTex.) I've read the bad things, but bought a hardshell case for a bowlback mandola from them this summer. Perfect! Good communication and fast shipping. Maybe they are reading their bad press.....

Mick
    A bowlback mandola case???????? I'm going to have to check on them every so often now!
    KristinEliza

Facebook

Mick... are you sure it was a mandola? I asked them about larger cases and they seemed clueless.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: