Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mandolin CDs

Yes, "Hold on We're Struming" is WELL worth it. One that hasn't made it to the list yet is Jethro Burns - "Bye Bye Blues" & "Sing Low Sweet Mandolin". I love that stuff.

What, no classical (other than occasional excursions on Traversata)? As an excellent demonstration of how rich a solo mandolin can sound without any accompaniment whatsoever in the context of "art" music, you really should see if you can find:

Gertrud Tröster/Troester. 1995. The Romantic Mandolin: 10 unaccompanied preludes of Raffaele Calace. Thorofon, 2211.

Absolutely inhuman! You may have to listen a few times to convince yourself that there are no overdubs.

Just checked out "the Romantic Mandolin." Awsome stuff!

I seem to say that about everything you guys suggest. Lets face it, the Madnolin is just awsome, peroid!

Jazz Mandolin Project. "Jungle Tango" is their newest album. Its quite a long way off from bluegrass, but its one of my favorite albums to listen to lately. Drums, Bass, mandolin. Oh and some acordion and piano.

Thanks, I'll check it out. Don't want my collect to get TO MUCH blue grass, after all.

Blog Entries

Then you might consider the Creaking Tree String Quartet--its its own thing. New acousitc with a chamber music feel. Really innovative stuff, and now up for a Juno!
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Always looking for new tunes, so I copied down some of these suggestions and just got back from picking up a few.

I'm only two tracks into "Jungle Tango" and I'm hoping that somewhere in the remaining tracks a mandolin emerges... The first two tracks sound more like WEATHER REPORT than say: INTO THE CAULDRON (which I don't view as "bluegrass")

On the jazz side of the spectrum I tend to lean more towards Benny Goodman with Charlie Christian than Jaco Pastorius.

I really like INTO THE CAULDRON a lot (more so than other Thile and Nickel Creek stuff).

I also picked up HOLD ON WE'RE STRUMMIN' by Sam and Dave...

I don't have any cd's, but got a few mp3's from this site of Harmonious Wail and I really like the mandolin picking in that group.