Thread: The Loar LM 600 VS

Default The Loar LM 600 VS

I would typically be the last person to order an instrument online. I believe it's important to put the thing in your hands and get a feel and ear for what it will be like to own it. I have been lucky enough to play a 1917 Gibson A4 for a number of years, but wanted to get another mandolin that I didn't have to worry about, particularly when I recently started playing out again.

Anyway, I can't say enough good things about the Loar LM 600 VS. I purchased it online from folkmusician.com. They set it up beautifully and it sounds like a $2,000 mandolin (at least). In fact, and I know it may be blasphemy to some, but it has a much brighter and vibrant sound than my antique. And it's just getting better.

If you're looking for an F mandolin in the $700-$800 range, I think this one is hard to beat, and I can't say enough good things about the service at www.folkmusician.com

Enjoy!

2. The following members say thank you to Rod Babel for this post:

Default Re: The Loar LM 600 VS

Rod,
    I hear the neck is thicker on the LM 600 VS. How thick is it?

The reason I ask is I have small hands.

Wbb

The neck is on the thicker side, which might be why moving from older Gibson A models is quite comfortable.

I moved over from a 1921 Gibson A and I think it feels great.
    2020 Custom Weber Yellowstone F-20-F octave mandolin
    2019 Weber Yellowstone F-17 mandola
    2019 Custom Weber Diamondback F14-F
    2018 Custom Weber Yellowstone F14-0
    2016 Weber Octar

www.webermandolins.com/mandolin-artists/michael-eck

I like the 600 I have,The Neck is thicker than my 01 Flatiron Fest. and I find it easier to play. These are not really huge Necks on the 600s. I think anyone, small hands or large wouldn't have a problem.
    As far as sound, I think it's alright and keeps getting better.I'd have to say,I've found my 01 Gib. Flatiron Fest has been on vacation since I got my 600 a couple months ago.
    I did have to go to 41s and 28s to get a heavier low end which it was lacking and that seemed to cure it.Probably after it gets played awhile and opens up more, it won't need heavier strings.
    Rod, I'm glad you like your 600!

The Forrest Gump of Mando Rob Powell's Avatar

Wbb....I personally like the thicker neck and my brother recently visited and played both my Weber and my The Loar and he preferred the LM-700, partly because of the neck. Seems to me that guitar players in general like that neck better.

I love both of my mandolins and they sound very different.
    "If you can make it to 50 without growing up, you don't have to..."

Rob Powell AKA The BeerGeek

I had heard that the neck was thicker, but again, moving from the Gibson made actually easier. The fingerboard is actually narrower and I prefer a little thicker neck, probably because I too play lots of guitar. WBB, please know that I am about 5 ft. 6 and have small, chubby hands. So if an oompa loompa can play this thing and enjoy, I'm pretty sure you can too.

Like others who've attested to the phenomenon here, my 1917 A-4 has not left it's case much since purchasing the LM 600.

Take care,

Rod

The Loar 600 is a very good mandolin...especially for the money. Like with any mandolin, it is important to have it set up properly to obtain maximum tone and playability. Other than that, they are great.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

I just recieved one yesterday, from Gianna Violins. I got it the next day. I paid $525.00, that includes shipping. It was a factory second, but you cant
    really tell it. I like the neck. It has a great tone and good volume. I am very pleasantly surprised and pleased with it.

Well "I" might as well chime in here......I'm a new owner of an LM-600-VS and am extremely pleased with it......

I lowered the action a tad, and found that the bridge needed to be turned around, but other than that.........it's got stable intonation all the way up, and projects very nicely. Good tone too!!
    I can't wait to get a set of JM-11's on it, and see how it sounds!!

I found that I had some sympathetic harmonics (or whatever they are called) coming from the strings behind the bridge, but a little felt, woven between the strings, took care of it.

The finish was fine, and the thicker neck was actually more comfortable for me and my big hands.

Breedlove Crossover FF SB
    “The weather was so bad even my iPhone was shaking!”
    -SDC

11. The following members say thank you to Soupy1957 for this post:

Default Re: The Improved Loar LM 600 VS

Hello Out There,

I played a LM-500 for about a year. I liked its raspy tone very much. There were construction details that were not faithful to original Gibsons, though. Recently, a LM-600 became available and I decided to trade up.
    My enduring problem with the 500 was that I could not hear myself playing during jam sessions. My other mandolin, a 1986 Flatiron A-5 Artist is not shy about talking back to me. The LM-600 is much better in this regard.
    The other feature that swayed me was that the 600 came with a robust V shaped neck like the old Gibsons. The Flatiron is stout, too, but more rounded on the backside. I did not realize how much the thinner LM-500 neck was tiring me out. The 600 rests perfectly against the web of my fretting hand. It is just great! I don't like overly thick necks on my guitars. But the mando is a different story.
    Lastly, the designer guys at The Loar made a bunch of detail improvements to make my new instrument much more like the old ones. Aside from the neck, the most impressive change is that the scroll area is wider and the junction of the curves of the scroll volute points to 4PM just like a Gibson.

Lovely,

Ed Taylor
    aka Uncle B.
    Last edited by uncle_banjo; Aug-26-2009 at 9:09pm. Reason: take out HTML commands

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Babel View Post
    I would typically be the last person to order an instrument online. I believe it's important to put the thing in your hands and get a feel and ear for what it will be like to own it. I have been lucky enough to play a 1917 Gibson A4 for a number of years, but wanted to get another mandolin that I didn't have to worry about, particularly when I recently started playing out again.

Anyway, I can't say enough good things about the Loar LM 600 VS. I purchased it online from folkmusician.com. They set it up beautifully and it sounds like a $2,000 mandolin (at least). In fact, and I know it may be blasphemy to some, but it has a much brighter and vibrant sound than my antique. And it's just getting better.

If you're looking for an F mandolin in the $700-$800 range, I think this one is hard to beat, and I can't say enough good things about the service at www.folkmusician.com

Enjoy!
    To say that it sounds like a U$S 2000 mandolin is quite a leap....what U$S 2000 mandolins did you compare it to when you played it? Can you actually hear it when playing with others? Just asking cause I'm thinking about this one or the 700 for a potential back-up mando.

Blog Entries

I to am looking at the 700 and while i have no experience with this mandolin i do agree with the statement that it sounds like a 2k instrument. I think its narrow minded to think that since you love your xxx mandolin, something made overseas cant sound as good or better is just ridiculous.

I have never seen or played the 600, but I have a 700 and am very happy with it. A thicker neck, great tone and volume. At this point I am not looking to "upgrade" at all. Last week I played a friends new Eastman Dawg mandolin, I think it is in the 2K range. It looked good, had a good sound, but I didn't think it was any better than the 700, although it was brand new and needed some breaking in.

I bought a LM600 with the upgraded Cumberland Accoustic Bridge from Folkmusician a little over a year ago and can't say enough good things about dealing with them. I had only played cheap mandos before that so I don't have a lot of comparison, but I am well pleased with it and get compliments on how good it sounds all the time.

I bought an Lm-700 and it was a very good mandolin and I've played and owned hundreds. Couldn't fault it apart from a couple of very minor cosmetic things on headstock binding.
    Mine was great right out of the box. I ended up selling it to a local young bluegrass band as I was using it as a second to my 1985 Flatiron F5. I wish I'd kept the Loar now. It honestly was as good as anything up to £2000 and I bought it for £600 from Thomann.
    Much warmer than an Eastman.

Jimmy Powells
    UK

I just got the Loar 600vs after painstakingly searching for the right feeling mandolin in my budget. It looks and sounds great. It will serve as my steppingstone to the Gibson. The Loar sounds like a very expensive mandolin. I could no be more pleased.

19. The following members say thank you to PickingGal for this post:

the stock bridge saddle on mine cracked so I put a cumberland on. it sure makes a difference
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

I recently swapped about $200 worth of welding for a The Loar LM 600VS. My reaction to the very first note I played was WOW! Loud and bright. Sure, it needs some adjusting but nothing major. A happy surprise for a Pac Rim import. I'm wondering how they compare to a Kentucky, Eastman, etc.

I always hear good things about The Loar mandolins. I bought an LM370 as that is the only decent instrument available over in my part of the world. It sounds really good, better and better every time I play it. It could use some more bottom end, however.

That LM 600 sounds like a good upgrade. How's the bass response?
    Loar LM-370

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between.” ― Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Blog Entries

That's a great model! I know from experience. The neck has a great feel-- nice comfortably rounded shape. Congrats!