Thread: Bacon Mandolins...

I ran across one of these today... its not the student model, and not the artist model, so its the intermediate model and somebody autographed the label. It sounded nice-- not real powerful but sweet. Nice high end, not much bass. Oval sound hole, carved top and back, looked pretty similar in shape to the Vega Cyliderback that I was A/B'ing it with... I couldn't tell what kind of back and sides... I'm guessing maple? Could it be birch?

It seemed very well made-- the seller wanted $850 for it. Is this a good ball park price?

Any information on Bacon Mandolins would be a help... I found one thread here, and one helpful one over at the Co-Mando list serve.

Thanks!

Here is a page from a Bacon catalog reprint. Not all that much info. There is a Professional Artist model also listed which looks about the same as this one but is prob a step or two fancier. Was it Wm. Place Jr. who signed the label of the one that you saw?

I have a 4-point 1921 Artist. I can't imagine a/bing with a Vega since they are competely different. The Bacon is closer to a Lyon & Healy carved #or even a roundhole Gibson than a Vega cylinder.

I had posted pictures of mine on that former thread here.

In answer to your question, that price seems all right to me. Depends on the condition. Hard to put a price on these since they are not exactly mainstream.

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	baconpro_cat_sm.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	1018  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

About 5 years ago I paid $525 for the lesser plain A-style, the Student maybe. This included a brand new case. Condition is excellent. Tone is as described above.
    Wye Knot