Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Name Your Instruments?

Default Re: Name Your Instruments?

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Wax View Post
    I haven't named mine, mainly because, if I did, I'd probably pick a really geeky name—Worf or Plato or Niels Bohr. And then I'd be too embarrassed to tell anyone...
    How about Gadfly -- that way you can say it's your favorite insect if you were too embarassed to admit to the Plato/Socrates reference. (But I guess that depends upon which you would find more embarassing: being confused for an Entomologist or a Liberal Arts major.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim MacDaniel View Post
    How about Gadfly -- that way you can say it's your favorite insect if you were too embarassed to admit to the Plato/Socrates reference. (But I guess that depends upon which you would find more embarassing: being confused for an Entomologist or a Liberal Arts major.
    Well, "gadfly" would fit my nonconformist outlook, but after seeing your avatar, I might just go with "Phil."

I've called my Brentrup "Minnie" since it was built in my old home town of Minneapolis near Lake Minnitonka. I have a Kimble on order. When it gets here I figure I'll call that one "Doc". After Dr Richard Kimble.
    You can't see your future in a rear view mirror.

Well, it doesn't have a name, but I do consider it female for some reason. I usually say, "come here gorgeous, let's play" when I pick it up, because it's just so dang beautiful.

Mine mandolin is named Froggy. It doesn't refer to the sounds it makes but to the builders logo on the headstock which is a cute little tree frog. When I first got her I called her Baby and then Sweet Thang before naming her Froggy.

Blog Entries

Mine have neither a name or a gender. I just refer to them by who made them, Labraid, Spira, Eastman. I call the octave, The Octave and the bowlback, The Bowlback. I also often refer to my son as The Boy.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I refer to them by their serial numbers. How geeky is that! I tend to stick with small builders so they're all 2 or 3 digits. If I ever buy a Weber or a Gibson I'll have to re-think that strategy later. Never felt the urge to give them a name.
    Wye Knot

Hmmm... I nicknamed my "kids" in the order in which they came into our lives: my dog Jack is #1, and my boy Aidan is #2, so maybe I should call my most recent mandolin #3.

The Forrest Gump of Mando Rob Powell's Avatar

I hate to admit it but I call my Weber "Baby" and my The Loar "Big Boy"

Ok, now I have to leave the cafe.
    "If you can make it to 50 without growing up, you don't have to..."

Rob Powell AKA The BeerGeek

The first instrument I named was my Collings D1A guitar. I call her "River" 'cause she takes me far from troubled times (reference to Darrell Scott song "River Take Me"). Then I saw awesome tv show Firefly (http://www.hulu.com/firefly) which had a cool female character named River. My Arrow Octave Mandolin then became named Zoe after another character on the show (both black, curvaceous, and packing a real punch). My Collings MT remains unnamed as it is a temporary instrument. It remains to be seen whether Voight #7 will become Kaylee, Inara or Saffron.

I am such a nerd...

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

Yep. Squealer, Piglet, Anthrax, Sid, and Darth.

I've found a few choice names when stringing the darned fiddly things up - none of which i dare post on here without getting blacklisted - otherwise they're just known as Fern & Jiri (pronounced Yirji - i believe),maybe i should Czech that !,
    Saska
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Mine is "Red Headed Step Child"

Cause I beat the snot out of it...
    Valley Road Bluegrass Band
    www.valleyroadbluegrass.com

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Tigue View Post
    Mine is "Red Headed Step Child"

Cause I beat the snot out of it...
    Best expression ever. I try to use that at least once a week in general conversation.
    and = My Loves

Blog Entries

I have named my Weber "Bully"....she has a Bully chop to her and always bullies her way into the jam.
    Custom Weber Yellowstone #5246609
    Carver A Oval Hole
    Flatiron 1C #96046174
    http://rekx.wordpress.com

Hank Williams song About the wooden-headed cigar store Indian statue , named "Kawlija"
    now my banjo-uke, which wears G D A E tuned nylon strings and a spruce wooden 'head',
    is also called Kawlija.

mandolin ######
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I was thinking about "Mandy Lynn" - or is that too corny?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Overcast View Post
    I was thinking about "Mandy Lynn" - or is that too corny?
    since you asked: yes.

not that there's anything wrong with that.
    Original acoustic music - Solo Octave Mandolin - Original Folk Music

I haven't named my Breedlove but my wife derides it as Bertha or simply the other woman.
    Adam

www.santabarbarasessions.com
    www.adamphillipsmusic.com
    http://www.facebook.com/santabarbarasessions
    Collings MT2
    Big Muddy M2
    Collings MT Mandola
    Weber Gallitan Octave
    Picotte Mandocello

Blondie was the Kent 744 electric mando that I eventually sold to a guy in Vermont.

Rosie is the 1924 A2Z, so called because someone painted a floral design on the pickguard and truss rod cover.

Snagglepuss is the Aceto NV 5-string electric violin, but only because that's what Eric Aceto called it.

I don't have names for any of the others.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I've never named any of my instruments, cars, or body parts.

Also, I never lose sleep or apologize when someone chides me for failing to search earlier threads. I give such folks the benefit of the doubt by assuming that they're trying to be helpful. In any case, I've only been hanging around here for a few years, so answers to questions regarding pick choice, string choice, A-style vs. F-Style, instrument and similar popular topics are still extremely interesting to me.

I've been fortunate enough to own a number of great instruments over the past several years--but haven't given, or recognized, names to any but two: a Vinaccia bowlback mandola named "Lucia," and a L&H mandola named "Arturo." I know this sounds crazy, but both of these instruments essentially "told me" their names within the first few hours of playing them. I've tried to learn the names of the others, but haven't been successful. I recognize that each of them is definitely male or female, but can't tell you how or why I know this, it's just more of a "feeling"--and I've tried to offer names to them, but they just have not really "fit," and were more of a pretension, so I didn't. My prejudiced anthropomorphic opinion is that an instrument will let you know its name if it truly has one--it's not like a young dog you get through Furry Friends Rescue that can be re-assigned one and comfortably acclimate.

BTW, I'm really more of a mandolin player, just playing mandola in the local orchestras because that's what was needed; but despite spending more time on mandolin, they've NOT told me their names--so I don't think it's a matter of intimate time spent together.

my one and only F5 is 'Porkslayer'...long story involving too much PBR and bacon and days at Rockygrass...
    Proud owner of:

Bill Davis F5 #10502
    Martin 000-M

Quote Originally Posted by aphillips View Post
    I haven't named my Breedlove but my wife derides it as Bertha or simply the other woman.
    My Eastman 804 got tagged with Bertha: We were driving from New Hampshire to Montana in the winter. I was driving the moving truck with the dogs and my wife and kids were in the Honda. They were tasked with making sure my mando stayed warm- carrying it into restaurants and hotels while I walked the dogs. Somewhere in Indiana my daughter called it Bertha- from the old Grateful Dead song- "Bertha don't you come around here...anymore.

My new Eastman 505 is named Mars because there is a small irregularity that looks like the red "spot" on Mars...

Too much information?

I just got an old Silvertone b**jo that I haven't named yet...

The Fender OM is called Stealth since it flies below the radar. My KM 380 is called Sassy because it is almost shrill. My Weber Yellowstone is called Honey because that'sthe color and it's my fave.