Thread: Fiddler's Green in Austin, Tx

Default Fiddler's Green in Austin, Tx

This is as good a first post as any, eh?

I hear there are sessions on Wednesdays and Sundays at the Fiddler's Green music shop, are these still happening?

I'm extremely interested because I just live down the street on 38th by Gaudalupe, and I just bought my own mandolin a few months ago (with the money I had saved up for an Xbox...I think I made the right choice). I've been practicing pretty regularly and I'm in a mindset to teach myself the majority of the way, but I think simply observing more skilled players would give me a jumpstart on technique and whatnot.

I don't have any musician friends in this city.

What is the general age range of people who show up? I'm 21 but that's no reason I can't mix and mingle with the old folks

john homer

Default Re: Fiddler's Green in Austin, Tx

The session info is on their website. http://www.fiddlersgreenmusicshop.com/ Playing with other people is essential.
    john homer

Hanging with old folks is essential too.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

All the wisdom, right?

It is a big range age wise from 20's-60's. I have found it to be a slower jam but really fun and friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouby View Post
    All the wisdom, right?
    No, penance.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trouby View Post
    I don't have any musician friends in this city.
    In Austin? Then you must not have any friends at all

I swear, if LA is full of actors then Austin is full of musicians. Besides checking the Fiddler's Green website look for Austin Friends of Traditional Music and Central Texas Bluegrass Association
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    ca. 1900 Clifford Mandolinetto
    Martin Guitars

Try this website as well for places to jam.

http://centraltexasbluegrass.ipower.com/index.php

Artz Rib House is an epicenter for traditional music. Friends of Traditional music meets there every Sunday afternoon. The jam starts at 2pm
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

If you live on 38th, go to the store and ask the guys! I live just down the street and there are so many opportunities to play with other people in this town. I believe these nights you state are still going on.
    I also can clue you in on the every other Wednesday night rehearsals of the Austin Mandolin Orchestra, and that we always need people to show up and play. This is a great, free, and fun thing where we all get together and play ensemble music.
    PS: I am one of the "older" folks at 57. You being 21 don't bother me. Hope to see you there.

Walk on down and talk with Clay at Fidddlers Green. You are living too close to the fire to not feel the warmth bro. Austin is a great town for music gatherings.
    Despite some recent financial issues, ARTZ Rib House continues to stay open. Not only some of the best ribs in the world, but a true gathering place of Austin musicians and weekly jams.

The Bluegrass jams are beginning again at Fiddlers this Tuesday evening. Every one is welcome, but the songs will be played at intermediate and advanced speeds. A great session barn and always fun.
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Penny Whistle

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. E View Post
    The Bluegrass jams are beginning again at Fiddlers this Tuesday evening. Every one is welcome, but the songs will be played at intermediate and advanced speeds. A great session barn and always fun.
    I don't mind the "intermediate and advanced speeds" as long as they come with intermediate and advanced tone, phrasing and feel too! One without the other is just....

Hey ya'll, I'm going to be in Austin a couple of days.. heading there (from Houston) Wednesday morning. My son has started apprenticing at the Congress House recording studio, and I'm going to spend the afternoon there....

I'll probably go by Fiddler's Green, either after 4, or maybe on Thursday. Not sure if I'll spend one or two nights in Austin, then head back to Houston.

I went to the Fiddler's Green shop last year, when I was in Austin, and am looking forward to visiting again!

Barb

Be sure to try out some of the merchandise. They've got a two point Altman that is sooo tempting.
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Penny Whistle

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. E View Post
    Be sure to try out some of the merchandise. They've got a two point Altman that is sooo tempting.
    Well, I did go by Fiddler's Green in Austin, and once again, what a GREAT shop it is! A HUGE selection.... and such nice, friendly guys! I highly recommend anyone in or near Austin, be sure to go by Fiddler's Green on West 35th street in Austin!

So, I DID try out the merchandise. I'm partial to A body, Oval (or oval-ish) hole mandos, and while the majority of their merchandise was f body, f holes..... they did have a nice assortment of A body, oval holes.

Now... I'm VERY happy with my Weber Bridger A... and really wasn't in the market for another mandolin (really, really, I wasn't!!!)

But...... there was this Honey Amber Collings MT2 O that just called out to me... I even called my good friend, and tried to have her talk me out of getting it... but she said.... GET IT! You deserve it!

So.... I'm the proud owner of a brand spanking new Collings mando. The guy at Fiddler's Green pointed out that ONE great advatange to being located in the same town that it was built in... it was hand delivered to the shop....

Pictures to come later!

Barb

Mid-west congratulations on your new Collings, Barbara. Collings is really building some great mandolins these days and their oval holes are bound to be special. I went to Mass Street Music in Lawrence, KS this week with hopes of playing a new Collings oval hole A and, low and behold, it was already sold. As a side note, they have a REALLY great MF5V Deluxe in stock right now.

Look forward to seeing pictures of your new Collings and perhaps you'll treat us to a few sound clips as well...better yet, bring it to Winfield this September!

Welcome to the Collings club! You'll enjoy your new axe.

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

Barb,

Did you get a chance to play one of those Ellis A5s?

Quote Originally Posted by man dough nollij View Post
    Barb,

Did you get a chance to play one of those Ellis A5s?
    I don't think I did... but maybe..... I thought I played every A style oval hole in the shop, and several of the f hole ones. I know there was a customer in the shop, raving about and playing an Ellis.. it was an A body, f hole..... but I don't think I played it.

Barb

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Roberts View Post
    Mid-west congratulations on your new Collings, Barbara. Collings is really building some great mandolins these days and their oval holes are bound to be special. I went to Mass Street Music in Lawrence, KS this week with hopes of playing a new Collings oval hole A and, low and behold, it was already sold. As a side note, they have a REALLY great MF5V Deluxe in stock right now.

Look forward to seeing pictures of your new Collings and perhaps you'll treat us to a few sound clips as well...better yet, bring it to Winfield this September!
    Tell me about Winfield....

Here are the first photos...

Barb

I've played that very instrument and it is Wonderful! What a good choice. The Weber vintage A is pretty close, probably every bit as good with a somewhat different sound. Just a matter of taste.

John F
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Penny Whistle

Clay has sold the one Ellis A he got. Tom has promised him another. I got to see a newly finished one out at Tom's shop a couple of weeks ago and it is beautiful in sound and looks. I'm going by Ellis's shop this morning to play his unsigned "Loar".
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Penny Whistle

I'm unfamiliar with the Ellis mandolins.... where is the shop? Is there a link to a website? Now, I wish I'd taken a moment and played the Ellis A body f hole that someone was playing on when I was there... but I was in the throes of deciding to take the plunge on the Collings, and pulling out my credit card!

Barb

Just got back from visiting with Tom Ellis. His shop is in central South Austin about 6 miles from downtown. He told me he had just delivered another A mando to Fiddlers two days ago.
    His link is http://www.ellismandolins.com/

Got to play Tom's 1926 F5 and then his own personal mando. The "Loar" was an experience. Felt and sounded different than any other mandolin I have ever held or played. But I have to say that I liked Tom's personal "Ellis" better. That may be caused by who knows what.

Tom does exquisite inlay. His other company is Precision Pearl.
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Penny Whistle

Well, Capt. E, it's a shame we didn't get to hook up during my very brief visit there in Austin (less than 24 hours). My son lives in South Austin, near the intersection of Wm. Cannon and S. Congress.

I'm going to be back in Texas in June, and will be trying to make another quick trip to Austin. That recording session at Congress House was so much fun, I'm pretty sure I'll be doing another! This one was impromptu... who knows what I can come up with, with a little time to give it some thought and practice!

Barb