Thread: Ready to upgrade the zouk in Boston

Default Ready to upgrade the zouk in Boston

Hi all,
    1st post here, love the list. I play mando, guitar, bouzouki, and mess with the fiddle on trad Irish music around Boston. I got a Trinity College zouk a couple of years ago and am ready to upgrade. I was curious about the Fylde but haven't a clue where to find one to try in the area. I think the Trilliums are out of my price range especially "in this economy" (god I hear that everyday now). Any other suggestions are welcome. I am willing to buy used too if the right one comes along.

thanks,
    Salt

Default Re: Ready to upgrade the zouk in Boston

For around $1K, you can get a Petersen Level 1 instrument; they have been given pretty high marks here in the CBOM thread. For about the same price, a used Flatiron "bouzouki" or OM is a good choice; I've been very satisfied with my 3-K for about 25 years. They're not built any more but they keep cropping up on eBay and elsewhere.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    For around $1K, you can get a Petersen Level 1 instrument; they have been given pretty high marks here in the CBOM thread.
    I agree, but I would also say that if you have the money, it would be worth the extra few hundred to get a Level 2 or 3 from him. I was lucky enough to find a new Level 1 and a slightly used Level 3 OM at the same store, and the Level 3's tone was far richer. The workmanship on both was first-rate; however, you get better wood on the 2 and 3.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

I also agree with the Petersen endorsement. I have an older Petersen Cittern, and I bought a used Level 3 zook. I love them both and really want to order a Level 3 cittern. Just trying to make the final decision.
    PNB
    Sobell Cittern, Sobell Bouzouki, Guild OM-150ce, Epiphone Masterbuilt DR-500cme
    72 Guild D50, Guild 212 string, Guild F50, Blueridge BR163 Deering Tenor Banjo
    numerous sets of bagpipes- most for sale, email me.

"When you have the music, you have the friend for life"

Fiddler & Mandolin Player Dave Reiner's Avatar

Hello Salt-

Another alternative is a new zouk from Nick Apollonio up in Maine. His prices are quite low right now, with fast delivery -- and his instruments are superb. I have an octave mando he built, and he's building me another one (since my son "borrowed" the first one, and plays it when he's not playing fiddle at sessions). Nick has built some legendary guitars and citterns in the past, known for their great tone, and his prices are in line with the other recommendations in this thread. He's at guittern@gmail.com and you can find out more a bit more about him on the web.

No financial interest here.

Dave

P.S. Are you coming to Mandolin Camp North outside of Boston at the beginning of April? I'll be teaching mando and fiddle there.
    Last edited by Dave Reiner; Mar-04-2009 at 11:48pm. Reason: add information
    '04 Gibson F3, '04 Gibson A4, '06 Gibson F4, '26 Gibson F5, '27 Gibson F4, '87 Givens A6, 2017 Kimble A5

Author, Anthology of Fiddle Styles; Co-author, Oldtime Fiddling Across America
    Genial host, Fiddle Hell Online (coming up on April 11-14, 2024, with 220 concerts, jams, & workshops (incl many for mandolin) and free replays for 4 months)
    Join www.facebook.com/groups/fiddlehellmassachusetts
    Free jams on our YouTube channel YouTube.com/FiddleHell
    More info at fiddlehell.org

Thanks everyone. I welcome any other ideas. What do you folks think of the Foley instruments from Dublin? Problem with that is I would have to go to Ireland to pick it up. What a tough job that. All those boring sessions, pubs

Salt

Salt ––

Are you going to the New England Folk Festival (NEFFA) April 24-26 in Mansfield? Appolonio has exhibited there in the past, and the "folk bazaar" usually has a couple vendors of larger mando-family instruments.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

The Foley OMs that I've played are great, but I suspect that, if the Trilliums are out of your price range, the Foleys will be as well. At least, they are in the States.
    EdSherry

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

I agree with Ed that the Foleys and the Trilliums are similar in price, and if you go to Ireland (a wonderful idea) you'd better do it before the May Bank Holiday on the first wknd in May or you'll
    -really- add to the cost of your Joe Foley instrument.

Joe Foley has a number of regular clients over here, including Pat Broaders of Bohola in Chicago, and I understand that Joe is no stranger to trans-Atlantic shipping. He doesn't have a website, tho, but does business over the phone. I don't have his number, but it's no secret and someone can come up with it for you.

I really like Joe Foley instruments a lot.

Back down at the $1k range, have a look at the Gypsy's Music line, there's an ad button at the top of this page, just under the Cafe banner.

Also, your fellow Bostonian Matt Heaton has a very nice OM from New Zealand luthier Davy Stuart. < http://www.stuart.co.nz/ > Matt & his tremendously talented wife Shannon
    < www.mattandshannonheaton.com > played a house concert here and I got a little time playing his Stuart and enjoyed it a lot. NZ/US exchange rates are usually quite favorable for us Ammurrikins, and Davy has a currency converter available on his site.

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

Pat Broaders is my hero. I can't understand why he isn't out there more performing. I've played in many sessions where there was a Foley but never played one myself. There was one the other night at my session and in retrospect I should have asked for a test run. Oh well next time. They sound loud and clear to me. There's also the cool mystique of them coming from the Emerald Isle as well. It may be worth stepping up to the plate. All my other instruments are of that caliber. Why not one more??
    Thanks again for the info.

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

Happy Foley!

It seems as tho you won't really be satisfied til you have one, whether that's this year or in a longer while. Actually, we may share that feeling, but when I'm in a rompin' session with my Crump I don't really think about any other OMs/zouks at all.

But it lingers on in other times, when I'm not playing.

So, hey, go for it!!

Enjoy,

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

Update: Dave Reiner was nice enough to let me try his OM by Nick Apollonio and I really liked it. So I have commissioned Nick to build me a Bouzouki to my spec. He has been very accommodating and very reasonably priced.
    So here's what I'm getting:

Irish Bazouki
    24" Scale, 1 5/16 nut width
    Cedar Top
    Brazilian Rosewood back and sides (lucky score here on some primo, legal wood)
    Ebony fretboard and bridge
    Allen MR-2 Tail piece (shiny Nickel)
    K+K Pick-up

Can't wait! Nick is cranking along pretty well on the job too. He resides in Rockport, Me.

Salt