Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: right hand practice

A DEAD HEAD

Default Re: right hand practice

THANKS EVERYBODY-For all the good advice and where to go for some information.I don't know what i would do without everybody on forum
    Some people know a little about
    about a lot of things,i would rather
    know a lot about the little things
    BORN AGAIN CUB FAN

Hello guys, i preferred to bump up this thread instead to open a new one.
    I'm learning mandolin and now i'm studing on the C. Munier, sadly it' very hard and doesn't explain very well tremolo tecnique.
    Now just today i have ordered from amazon the "The Complete Mandolinist" of Marilynn Mair but reading this thread i realized that she teach you to hit only one string on the upstroke when practicing the tremolo and i want learn to hit both the strings on the upstroke and downstroke.
    At first i was tempted for the S. Ranieri Method, but is an old book and they ask 27€ + shipping fee.
    Does anyone here thinks that i should have ordered another book? I can't cancel the order
    I'm intersted to play classic music. should i have take another book, or this is fine and maybe i can take in future another book?

Registered User Christian Flanagan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miked View Post
    I had a heck of a time getting consistent tremelo when I was using the Fender heavy picks. I would have it going and then kind of get stuck on a downstroke.

Using a BC pick has made a night and day difference with the tremelo. The pick glides over the strings and you get a nice variety of tone with varying the angle. In general, my right hand technique has improved a lot since getting a BC.
    The pick seems to be one key to the technique. I'm a beginner. I started out with a very thin/flexible pick. It just seemed a little easier to get a clean note but tremelo was nearly impossible. I tried turning the pick at an angle and that seemed to help, but the sound suffered. I'd bought a couple of heavier picks with a more blunt point. Viola. I need to experiment more. Maybe that's the lesson. There's hundreds of variations on technique and tools. Gotta find that one that works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nox View Post
    Hello guys, i preferred to bump up this thread instead to open a new one.
    I'm learning mandolin and now i'm studing on the C. Munier, sadly it' very hard and doesn't explain very well tremolo tecnique.
    Now just today i have ordered from amazon the "The Complete Mandolinist" of Marilynn Mair but reading this thread i realized that she teach you to hit only one string on the upstroke when practicing the tremolo and i want learn to hit both the strings on the upstroke and downstroke.
    At first i was tempted for the S. Ranieri Method, but is an old book and they ask 27€ + shipping fee.
    Does anyone here thinks that i should have ordered another book? I can't cancel the order
    I'm intersted to play classic music. should i have take another book, or this is fine and maybe i can take in future another book?
    I think you'll find "The Complete Mandolinist" by Marilynn Mair a very workable book; you can still hit both strings if you want, she won't slap your fingers. She uses a lot of music from methods of similar vintage to the Munier, with her own text, & it looks like a good method book to me. I think you can work with just this one book for quite some time.
    Elrod
    Gibson A2 1920(?)
    Breedlove Cascade
    Washburn 215(?) 1906-07(?)
    Victoria, B&J, New York(stolen 10/18/2011)
    Eastwood Airline Mandola

guitars:
    Guild D-25NT
    Vega 200 archtop, 1957?

No, no, no. Tremolo is the SOUL of the mandolin. Don't avoid the soul.
    That statement was profound. I had never really thought of it in those terms, but it's a very elegant way of putting it.

It's funny; when my wife and I are in the car and I'm playing random mandolin music on the CD player, she makes sure to comment when she hears them do a tremolo: "I don't like that. It's too show-offy." My comment to her is usually, "Well, that's what mandolins do. It's the traditional mandolin style." But now I have a better way to phrase it to her. It's the soul of the mandolin.

Profound, Phil. Thank you.

*makes mental note to spend more time working on tremolo*

I got a lot of right hand benefit(as well as left) from Evan Marshall's Duo Style book; polished my 30 plus year old getting by tremolo into a tremolo to enjoy, improved my triplets, really the whole right hand.
    Elrod
    Gibson A2 1920(?)
    Breedlove Cascade
    Washburn 215(?) 1906-07(?)
    Victoria, B&J, New York(stolen 10/18/2011)
    Eastwood Airline Mandola

guitars:
    Guild D-25NT
    Vega 200 archtop, 1957?