Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Grateful Dead Method

we also do mr. fantasy=hey jude, aiko-blister in the sun, communication breakdown-gloria, the joker-wildthing.
    if it sounds like it and plays like it, or has a joining chord- do it.

Hi all,
    This has been one of the most interesting threads I've read lately. #I also am a huge fan of noodling around songs, improvising and creating unique arrangements. #I play in a band that's just getting started in western MA and some of the guys are more traditional-minded and others love the noodling and experimentation. #So far it's a good mix. #We do the FOTD>Blackberry Blossom>FOTD too. #We also do Dark Hollow>Amie and the one guitar player throws a bunch of the Allman Brothers' Jessica licks in thoughout Amie. #The latest thing we've been working on, more as an excerise, is noodling into a Dark Star jam and taking turns leading the group into other fiddle tunes or songs and back into the Dark Star jam. #

One of the things I love about jambands' music is the whole building up of tension to a crescendo. #I can hear it in my head but it's hard to do or even describe to some of the other bandmembers. #Do any of you have any ideas of how to work on achieving that type of sound?

Also, Ira, where does your band play? #I'd like to try to catch one of your performances.

Vince

bird song is a good one too for long meandering jams.

Quote Originally Posted by
    that Givens still sounds awesome, even way out here in CA!
    Benigus:

You arn't in Southern California by any chance are you? If so are you going to Summergrass this weekend? How about the Julian Bluegrass festival in September?

Nor. Cal. ... SF

Sorry, I'm not headed to either of those fests. But, I am going to Strawberry in just a couple weeks!!!!!!!! That's about half-way right?

If you ever decide to head to Strawberry, let me know. I've been meeting up with Duuuude who's been going since ... Some other Cafe folks have gone, and it's just a hoot to meet up and pick!

Quote Originally Posted by (Dru Lee Parsec @ Aug. 19 2004, 18:34)
    that Givens still sounds awesome, even way out here in CA!
    Benigus:

You arn't in Southern California by any chance are you? If so are you going to Summergrass this weekend? How about the Julian Bluegrass festival in September?
    I'm in Carlsbad. Not going to Summergrass (Stone Anniversary on Saturday, and heading out of town on Sunday..), but I'm hoping to get to Julien. I'm a total noob-picker.

TeleMark
    __
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity
    -- Hanlon's Razor

Prescott, AZ

Benig...thanks for the compliment on the Givens...it is a special mando, at least to me anyways! I just put some new Schaller tuners on it and now it stays in tune better and is easier to tune-up in the first place also...Im in mando-heaven again!

I totally agree with the learn a song from someone vs tab or notation. I can learn a song in a 1/4 of the time and have it down RIGHT from the beginning without havin to re-learn it the right way later.

I'll miss pickin with you and Duuuude at the Fall'berry but I'll see ya in the spring!
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

'Looter ... the emails are going back-n-forth about getting ready for the 'Berry, and you not being there is definately a 'sore spot' in all the talk. You're missed, but will be there in spirit ... of course, I'd rather that you be there "with spirits", right?

Did I just hear Spring?

On Topic: One of the staff at the coffee house where we perform asked me last week, "So, how long does it take you to work out those instrumentals you do?" I almost did a spit take!

Our 'instrumetals' consist of a random jam called 'The A Chug' (self-explanitory really), and 'That Latin Groove' ... which actually has two chords!

If you can't blind 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with ....

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (Benignus @ Aug. 20 2004, 06:15)
    Our 'instrumetals' consist of a random jam called 'The A Chug' (self-explanitory really), and 'That Latin Groove' ... which actually has two chords!

If you can't blind 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with ....

I know exactly what you mean, we used to do tunes like that. #One was called "That Greek Thing" (you get the picture) and another I called "Gratuitous Celti-Grass in D"

2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

"That Greek Thing" LOL! I have a co-worker who uses that same phrase whenever I try to play 'Old Joe Clark'
    (I must not have it down right)

One pseudo-serious use of the uni-chord jam is to 'hang' on the tonic of song and collectively 'noodle'. We'll do this in an effort to (a) establish the right tempo/groove for the song, and (b) stall for time if one of us needs to quietly re-tune. Once were all 'there', then we'll let the dynamic level fall off far enough that whomever has the kick-off can 'step out' and start the song proper. (It has much more audience appeal than the 'dead-air' method of getting in tune)

- Benig

aahhh come on now...your gonna make me cry! The way I figure it, I'll be sounding real good since I'll be 1100 miles away...enjoy it while ya can!

Hey, had a kinda breakthrough last night jammin 'Berry-style with a few folks, the guys neighbor called the cops! What a hoot! Haven't had that happen in a long time, we were all so proud! And we were even playin' acoustic, LOL.
    mandollusional Mike

"lit out from Reno, Duuuude was chased by twenty hounds ... "

not to be disrespectful, but weren't those pigs instead of hounds? Im outta here for a local festival that some friends are playing in, should be a lotta fun, sleepin in the Geo Metro (plenty of room LOL), eating ham sandwichs all weekend, pickin like crazy and livin it up in a town with the population of 285. Had more'n twice that in my graduating class.

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (Benignus @ Aug. 20 2004, 06:54)
    "That Greek Thing" LOL! I have a co-worker who uses that same phrase whenever I try to play 'Old Joe Clark'
    (I must not have it down right)
    Mandolin = Bouzouki
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

So do you thinkthe players in Greece ever get asked, "Is that a Bouzo-ukelele?"

(groan)

Quote Originally Posted by (Benignus @ Aug. 20 2004, 17:56)
    So do you thinkthe players in Greece ever get asked, "Is that a Bouzo-ukelele?"
    Gonna use that one for yer band scramble joke?

Well, finally stumbled onto the Friend Of The Devil / Blackberry Blossom meld last night when noodlin', very interesting and quite a good workout. If only it were blues ....
    mandollusional Mike

Duuuude still got that ticket? #I may be able to get away but it's still up in the air as of right this minute....new schedule is coming out Tues or Wed. and there has been some problems with the folks who preceed me so I just may be able to get outta town. Got my fingers crossed and my voodoo dolls full of pins...

Well, ya might have to wrestle Benig's friend for it, last I heard it was goin' that way. I sent Mike an email to make sure just in case but pretty sure it's spoken for, but we can definitely find ya one 'tween now & then if need be. Let us know, I'll be goin' up Thursday.

Breaking News: Yer in if'n you can get the time off!

mandollusional Mike

Head West! Young 'Looter!

I'm in Carlsbad. Not going to Summergrass (Stone Anniversary on Saturday, and heading out of town on Sunday..), but I'm hoping to get to Julien. I'm a total noob-picker
    I'd love to get together and work on some tunes together. But I have no open weekends at all right now. Telemark. PM me if you want so we can make contact at Julian.

so glad that i came back from vaca and this thread is still, well....noodling along! mandovin- we (don't know if i'd call two short fat guys a band-but hey why not!)play at casey's crossing in holliston, ma every other friday (playing this week, which should be interesting as no practice for the better part of a month) hosting the open mic, so do the first set 8:30ish, last set-11:15 ish and any fills,
    will also be playing some coffeehouse dates in the franklin-bellingham area in the fall.

come on down and bring your mando.

Thanks Ira, it's rare that I get that far east but if I find myself headed in that direction, it'll be good to know of a place for pickin'. #Maybe we'll run into each other sometime. #And let me know if you are ever coming west.
    Vince

Dan, I didn't mean to hijack your thread with all this ticket talk so to get it back on track I will say I use the G.D method for most every song I learn that I don't have tab for and Im learning to hate tab more and more every day!

Quote Originally Posted by (mutant_dan @ July 30 2004, 12:46)
    Another thing that sorta bothers me is auditioning for others and they ask you to play a few songs solo. #I would much rather jump in and play with a group instead of showing off my solo chops...
    Don't know why but nothin' makes me go blank faster than someone handing me a mando & saying "Play something.", always leaves me starin' blankly while my mind whirls away tryin' to remember what to do with that thing in my hands.
    mandollusional Mike