Thread: What a great gig-play in public

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

Default What a great gig-play in public

I played for food at a special church service (not my church) yesterday. I am not a great player, and since we couldn't practice, we decided just to play as simply as possible with no breaks, lead-ins, or complex tags. I just chopped along with the singer.

When we were done I was swamped by kids who wanted to know about the mandolin: I was even asked for my autograph!

Playing mandolin is fun, but playing mandolin in public is the more fun I can ever remember.
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

Default Re: What a great gig-play in public

Give a man a mandolin and he eats for a day. Let the man play with ornamentation...

Just think what you would have reaped if you had played at YOUR church!

Hey Jack,
    I'm not surprised that the youngsters were interested, they're naturally curious but seldom get exposed to instruments like the mandolin.

Just a couple weeks ago I was at a jam at a community center. I was a bit early so I took out my axe and played some fiddle tunes to kill time. The place was deserted except for me but within 5 minutes 6 young boys, aged about 8 to 10 years old, appeared out of nowhere on skateboards. They too flocked around me and asked a ton of questions and really scoped out my mandolin. They listened intently while I played them a few tunes and then they took off. I hope that 1 or more of them decides to give the mando a try...that would be cool.

It's great to see youngsters pickin', like the 'Kids On Bluegrass' kids sponsored by the CBA and the "BG in the Schools" sponsored by the SWBA. I'd sure hate to see good music die out because kids don't pick it up, so it's encouraging see their interest.

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    Just think what you would have reaped if you had played at YOUR church!
    I'm not sure, but I think my church stopped excommunication and burning at the stake years ago.
    --William Shakespeare

Blog Entries

They could awayls bring it back...

Good story and congratulations, Jack.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Smile Re: What a great gig-play in public

I think that's awesome Jack. I hope it sparked some of those kids to seek out playing mandolin rather than listen to some of that Um...stuff-- on the radio..Keep it goin...
    "It's All About Eternity"

Playing is fun. Playing in Public is more fun. Playing in Public for kids is even more fun that that.

Great story... I've got another one for ya. I've been playing in a (for real) Old Time string band here lately. It's been so much fun. These guys are really good ...it feels really good to pick with guys like that. Any way at the last jam we had ...one of the guys asked if I could make a gig with them playing at a Church this April for his Mom's 100 year old birthday party. It turns out his Mom had made it very clear that when she passed on ... one of the things she wanted done at her funeral grave site was for a string band to play two songs. "Turkey In The Straw and the Arkansas Traveler" ...Well she recently told here son that she will soon be 100 years old and she's tired of waiting and would like to hear those songs on her birthday if it was possible. I thought that was pretty neat. Anyway I can hardly wait to play those tunes for her.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Agreed, playing in public is a blast. My first "gig" was at my son's school. Played for his class, had Q&A after, and went home a very happy man.

Keep up the good work!
    Jim D

Burning at the stake died out because they ran out of kindling, but you'd be bringing your own...

That was a great story. Keep up the good work.

Kids can be the most appreciative listeners! I recently had the opportunity to play several different instruments at church services over a number of weeks (Mando, Uke, violin, guitar, drums). There was a particular boy who came every week and asked about what I was playing and clearly got a real buzz from listening.

It's nice to be appreciated
    Play on friend, play on...

You folks crack me up. I'll look for more opps to play in front of young people, as for the most part we have been doing the rescue mission and jailhouse scene. At this gig we were playing original music by our banjo player, and he was so nervous he could hardly play.

I am always happy to have the appreciation of the people we are playing for, but I never expected to be so well received by the 8 to 18 year olds. Whenever I play around the house, my 18 year old turns up the amp on his Stratocaster so he won't have the hear me.
    --William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by woodwizard View Post
    Great story... I've got another one for ya. I've been playing in a (for real) Old Time string band here lately. It's been so much fun. These guys are really good ...it feels really good to pick with guys like that. Any way at the last jam we had ...one of the guys asked if I could make a gig with them playing at a Church this April for his Mom's 100 year old birthday party. It turns out his Mom had made it very clear that when she passed on ... one of the things she wanted done at her funeral grave site was for a string band to play two songs. "Turkey In The Straw and the Arkansas Traveler" ...Well she recently told here son that she will soon be 100 years old and she's tired of waiting and would like to hear those songs on her birthday if it was possible. I thought that was pretty neat. Anyway I can hardly wait to play those tunes for her.
    I wish I could be there playing with you. That is the best gig I can imagine, and those are two great songs!
    --William Shakespeare