Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beginners Section

Registered User Kay Kirkpatrick's Avatar

Default Re: Beginners Section

I agree with Lindylou and Mandozilla about the introductions section.

And if you find a thread particularly useful - go to "Thread Tools" and subscribe to it - makes it easy to find later.

I'd like to say welcome to Joe and lindylou you're in for quite an adventure!

I'd probably advance my picking a h**l of a lot faster if I didn't spend so much time on the Cafe...HaHaHa

But all seriousness aside, you WILL NOT find a better mandolin resource than this Forum and there's no such thing as a dumb mando question...this is definitely the Aladdins' Cave of the mandolin world!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slim_Pickins View Post
    Many guitarists seem to try to one-up each other. "They all wanna be rock stars". He noticed that this is completely different in the mando community. Most mando players would rather help others get up to speed and give praise and/or encouragement.

I think you are correct. I have been often tempted to make the same observation, but was too timid, and thought it was just further evidence of my mando-centric prejudice.

Which it is, but that doesn't mean it isn't often true.

I was a manolin beginner way back when, and I was floundering around for a year or two before I met anyone who played mandolin. A resource like this would have been a miracle from heaven.

Another reason for avoiding a "beginners section", I would argue, is that while I always encourage beginners, I don't want folks to get so comfortable as a beginner that forward movement is inhibited.

I have always done best when there was no obvious front door, just jump in and swim out to the edges.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....