Thread: Koa mandolin

Default Koa mandolin

Finally beginning to make some headway on a few projects. I have another koa mandolin awaiting its trip home. Body is mahognay with koa top and it has a maple veneer to emulate binding. The fretboard is ebony with side bound koa and maple. The headstock reflects the same sidebound apperance as the board. Standard mandolin scale with a DiMarzio pickup and coil tapping switch. Tone and volume pots. The control cover on the back was cut out with a laser, so the grain lines up perfectly to the surrounding wood.
    I did change the headstock on this one a bit by not running a cove around it and using standard A style mandolin tuners instead of individual tuners. I bought enough koa about two years ago to build four of these and this is number three. There are more pictures and a really bad video at my website in the shop section. I'm not too good with the video
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	koagang.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	38921  

Default Re: Koa mandolin

Andrew,
    That's a sweet looking Mando! It will definitely make someone a real happy camper to own it. I've got to head to your website to see the other pics! Keep up the beautiful work!
    John

Andrew,

That is one Classy looking emando, I sure like the stylish
    details of the peghead and fretboard end. Top drawer stuff.
    Sure to be treasured by the future owner.

Tom

once upon a time, drmole Joel Spaulding's Avatar
    not too far from Rosine; formerly and always a Yankee Highlander from Vermont

I WANT ONE!!

Nice work Andrew! I have been admiring your work for a while now. The carved instruments you had featured several months ago looked very cool, but this instrument looks very special.

Congrats to both you and the future steward of this beautiful instrument!