Thread: IV kit problems

Default IV kit problems

The sides (which are attached to the top) lean in towards the middle of the top. Any ideas as to how to correct this before I attach the back. I contacted IV about this but no help.

Jim

Default Re: IV kit problems

Jim, did you make a body mould? You can make one quite easily and cheaply, out of mdf or chipboard. Changes in temperature and humidity will make wood warp, but holding it in place in a body fixture will ensure that you can get a good fit when you glue the back on.

I'm not sure a mold would work as it would have to be placed inside the body and push the sides out. No way to get it out after the back is glued on. It may be posible to make an inside mold and place shims in the area that needs to go out ,overbending it and hope after a few days it would relax to the proper position.

Jim

You might try dampening the inside of the rim slightly on the sides, but most of the time you can just push it into shape as you glue the back on (press on the tailpiece end of the rim slightly, and the ribs should expand).

Quote Originally Posted by carpenter View Post
    No way to get it out after the back is glued on.

I once used a piece of a bicycle inner tube to create an air pillow to jack up a brace inside mandolin. I used one with a presta valve so I could insert it and pull it out through the f hole. If you could use it to push things back out and had a form around the outside it might work. The danger is that over-inflating will destroy the instrument. I'd consider Buddy's suggestion as well.
    "Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them". These are the words of J. Garber.

If you use an outside mold with spreaders or turnbuckles like in the Siminoff book you should have no problem bringing the sides back to shape. If you still have small gaps in the mold use shims or wedges between the sides and the spreader to tighten and square everything up.
    p.
    Todd Joles, handyman and aspiring luthier!

San Diego's own Rock Bottom Bluegrass!

Traditional music played without talent!

The greatest band you've never heard!

If the top and sides CAME with the sides "bending in", the top and sides should be replaced by IV.

I'm really surprised by this, as I have made a few of their kits, and anytime I had a problem it was immediately addressed by Ken.

That is not to say I had many problems with them. Not the case. But, once a back had to be replaced, and once a tuner gear. Both cases were resolved to my satisfaction very quickly.

I'd perhaps contact them again, and inquire.

This is a very common issue people run into with this kit, although usually the sides warp "out". You may be able to find more solutions by searching thru the archives. If IV did send you a new one, there would be a good chance it'd be warped to. That's just what wood does. How much misalignment is there?

That's what I was getting at mark. These kits move, it's just the nature of an already glued to the top rim. Dampening the inside will generally help them 'swell' back out a bit. Clamping it in a cardboard or plywood form for a while with the spreaders suggested above would probably help too, just let it sit clamped for a week or so, and when you release the pressure make sure to be ready to get the back on it. Simple humidification of the thing would probably fix it -- sounds like it could be dry.

Seems to me that partially assembling an instrument in one place under one set of climactic conditions, then shipping the partially assembled unit, and then finishing it off in yet another climate is just asking for trouble. Best to do all assembly in one reasonably climate controlled location.

Quote Originally Posted by carpenter View Post
    I'm not sure a mold would work as it would have to be placed inside the body and push the sides out. No way to get it out after the back is glued on.
    Jim, yes of course. I used the term mould to refer to the whole fixture (First language mistake, in French it has the right meaning... )
    I was referring to a fixture like the one below:

If you make one like this (easy), you will be able to straighten your sides back into place, then use the outside only to ensure as good a fit with the back as possible.
    What you need to look at is whether the ribs are simply warped, in which case fitting them in the fixture will bend them back into place; or if they have somehow shrunk, in which case you will need to get IV to send you a replacement...

HTH
    Germain

Thanks to everyone that replied. The top leans in about 1/4" on the top rib side towards the neck. I'm going to work on the humidy solution to see if that helps. If that doesnt get it all I'll do as Buddy said and get the rest during assembly. Again thanks for all your responces.

Jim